Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2017 14:00

Memory/storage XPS 8920

I recently bought the 8920 with the included memory of 8 GB, I purchased and installed 32 GB additional. First question should I keep the original 8 on board? I've run out of space and cannot load any more software. What I guessing I am asking how to I create more space for my software. I am a flight simmer. 

Thanks,

Richard

307 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 11:00

You need to describe your XPS 8920 system as far as storage is concerned. Since the most XPS 8920s come with a minimum 1TB HDD it is hard to believe you are out of storage space. If you have filled up the 1TB HDD you could replace it with a 2TB HDD or larger.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 1st, 2017 17:00

Are you talking about physical RAM or disk drive storage space?

8 GB (old) + 32 GB (new)  = 40 GB. That's not a supported RAM config in the 8920. So you may not actually be using all 40 GB and/or it might slow the PC down.  Supported RAM configs for the 8920 are: 8 GB, 16 GB, 24 GB, 32 and 64 GB according to the manual:

downloads.dell.com/.../xps-8920-desktop_setup guide_en-us.pdf  

So you may want to remove the original 8 GB and add new RAM to the max of 64 GB. I am assuming you installed 2x 16 GB and have 2 slots available for another 2x 16 GB if you remove the old 8 GB.

BTW: What speed RAM did you buy and is it fully compatible with the XPS 8920?  Looks like it can handle up to DDR4-2400 (1.2 volt) RAM.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 03:00

Ron you were correct on your assumptions of 2 32 GB and I bought them from Dell. Anything I can do about my storage issue?

Thanks for your help.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 11:00

Ron the C drive has no room left out of 222 GB but the D drive has 931 GB left should I be using that drive and if so how?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 12:00

The 222 GB is on an SSD and you should only be storing the OS and your installed programs. All your data files should be stored on the 1T D: drive.

Depending on the apps you're running, look at their tools/settings options to see if they give you the option of where to store their data files/folders and select the D: drive instead of C:

Additionally, Win 10 gives you option where to store folders,  So you should move default folders off C: onto the D: drive too. Read this for instructions to change default folder locations:

www.dummies.com/.../

And I'm totally confused about the RAM. Was your 8 GB installed as 1x8GB or 2x4GB? If it was 1x8 and you added 1x32, you're not running in dual channel mode which requires a matched pair of RAM modules in each bank (same color retention clips). If RAM adds up to 40GB now, that's not a supported config so remove the old RAM, and install matched modules that total one of the supported RAM configs. If you actually bought 2x32GB from Dell, install those in the same bank and you'll be maxed out at 64GB which is supported.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 20:00

Ron I cannot thank you enough for your help. Being a Win 7 user for so long coming over to 10 is a eye opener and I thought I was pretty savvy for 69 year old. Again thanks I have move some files and open up some space. Work in progress. Richard

307 Posts

November 3rd, 2017 11:00

baldk9, no need to move files to open up space. Since you are using Windows 10 you can change your setting to store your apps on the HDD. If apps are already installed you may have to uninstall them, then change the seetings and re-install the apps. See this for more information: en.community.dell.com/.../20023691

In addition, you can also change your settings to store your documents on the HDD. See: www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-file-storage-windows-10

No Events found!