Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2014 13:00

Memory upgrade on XPS8700

I will be editing and producing lots of videos.  Just received my XPS 8700 with 8 mb RAM and a 1 TB hard drive.  I plan to upgrade by adding a 4 TB external hard drive.  I'd like to add as much RAM as my system will hold.  It has an  Intel I7 processor and Windows 8.1 OS.  My question is:  How much more RAM can I add to it?  And does it have to be a Dell brand?    If not, does anybody have recommendations on brand and type?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 6th, 2014 18:00

Max RAM is 32GB (4x8 GB). And no, it doesn't have to be Dell RAM.

I presume you'll have 4x2 GB. So you'll have to decide whether to keep 2x2 GB of existing 8 GB and add 2x8 GB to 2 matching slots, or chuck all 8 GB and replace with 4x8GB.

Many people around here use crucial because they guarantee it will work if they recommended it for the specific system or they'll take it back. You can also look elsewhere but you may want to search these forums first to see what other brands and specs other users have successfully installed in the XPS 8700, because not all RAM is equal.

December 7th, 2014 05:00

Ron,

"I presume you'll have 4x2 GB. So you'll have to decide whether to keep 2x2 GB of existing 8 GB and add 2x8 GB to 2 matching slots, or chuck all 8 GB and replace with 4x8GB."

By the  above underlined, did you mean to keep the existing 8 GB  and then add 2 - 8GB sticks for a total RAM of 24 GB?  Thanks.

121 Posts

December 7th, 2014 10:00

Hi there as was posted earlier yes Crucial is used by many, not just their standard Mem. but they have a Performance line as well. All you need to do is log onto their site Crucial.com at the top select memory on the right are Tool you can use choose the scan my Sys. it will show you every thing they have for your XPS 8700.

Kingston is a favorite of mine they also have a put your info in and you will be given options to choose.

My XPS 8700 now has Crucial DDR3 1066 this is a fast machine but not fast enough so I am going with Kinston Fury HyperX 1866 CL 10.

You may want to upgrade to a SSD for your primary drive this will also increase your speed.

Best of luck 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 7th, 2014 11:00

Ron,

"I presume you'll have 4x2 GB. So you'll have to decide whether to keep 2x2 GB of existing 8 GB and add 2x8 GB to 2 matching slots, or chuck all 8 GB and replace with 4x8GB."

By the  above underlined, did you mean to keep the existing 8 GB  and then add 2 - 8GB sticks for a total RAM of 24 GB?  Thanks.

If you have 4x2 GB, you can't keep all of it and install more. You only have 4 RAM slots and RAM needs to be installed in matched pairs. So you can keep 2 existing and replace 2 existing with 8 GB modules or you can remove all existing and install four 8 GB modules.

Bottom line: You can have 20 GB total (2+2+8+8) or 32 GB total (8+8+8+8). You can keep the 2 GB modules you remove as "spares", just in case, or I guess you could sell them on eBay, etc.

EDIT: Be sure to check to see how many modules you actually have. I assume Dell installs 4x2 GB, and not 2x4 GB. So you want to check before ordering anything. You can use the My Dell app which should come preinstalled to check the RAM, by clicking the System Info button on the My Dell home page and then scrolling down to Memory on the new screen that opens.

No Events found!