Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2009 09:00

Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio, Then Keyboard and Mouse Stop Working

I recently got a really nasty virus on my computer (Dell E510) that basically destroyed my OS.  All attempts to remove the virus failed so I resorted to re-installing Windows.  I could not access System Restore because of the virus so I had to install manually with the disks. Everything started out well, system started to restore fine until it decided it need the disk for the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. Specifically the file hdaudbus.sys. And this is what happened... 1. I try all three disks that I have with no automated success and 2. It is at this point when the keyboard and mouse stop operating. So I cannot cancel the operation of finding the file or browse the disk to see if the file even exists.

So at this I cannot complete the install and I now have a $1000 PAPERWEIGHT!!!

Please help it at all possible.

Okay. So I've been getting a lot of advice from various sources to download the driver from the internet and install it this way. However, this just ain't cutting it.

The problem being, right before I get to this popup (see below) the mouse and the keyboard cease to work.

At this point I have tried to open the cd try and close it. Thinking the computer will begin to read the disk and find the file. No go. Then I try to put in the Dell disk marked device drivers. Again, no go. But now that I have "replaced" the disk I get this screen (see below).

And because the mouse and keyboard no longer work I can't browse the disk to find this elusive audio driver.

I am at my wits end! I really don't want to have to take it to a computer guy. I just don't wanna have to pay all the money they are bound to charge.

If anybody out there can help. It would be greatly appreciated.

-Nikki

6.4K Posts

August 28th, 2009 11:00

Have you tried hitting the "Cancel" button, and if so what was the result?

If the computer requires this file during Windows setup, I would imagine that Dell would normally have incorporated it into the OS installation disk that was shipped with the computer.  Is that the CD you are using?  If so, the CD must either be defective or the file was somehow omitted from the CD that was shipped.  You might want to try asking for another Windows XP installation CD based on the disk you have being defective.

To get a replacement disk you must either contact Technical Support and explain the problem, or if you live in the U.S. you can try using this form:  Dell Replacement CD.

4 Posts

August 28th, 2009 11:00

Have you tried hitting the "Cancel" button, and if so what was the result?

If the computer requires this file during Windows setup, I would imagine that Dell would normally have incorporated it into the OS installation disk that was shipped with the computer.  Is that the CD you are using?  If so, the CD must either be defective or the file was somehow omitted from the CD that was shipped.  You might want to try asking for another Windows XP installation CD based on the disk you have being defective.

To get a replacement disk you must either contact Technical Support and explain the problem, or if you live in the U.S. you can try using this form:  Dell Replacement CD.

Unfortunately by the time I get to this screen my mouse and keyboard aren't working so I can't get to the cancel button. These are Dell provided disks. Trying to get replacement is my next step. Thank for the link!

6.4K Posts

August 28th, 2009 12:00

You're welcome, but you might want to wait until you've tried the replacement disk to thank me.  If the new CD works no better than the old one you might need to learn about slipstreaming.  If you Google "nLite" you should find a page that describes that program as well as some helpful hints about incorporating various drivers into an installation CD.

Best of luck to you.

1 Message

August 2nd, 2010 22:00

Ok i had the exact same issue and this is how i worked it out.

1. copy the hdaudbus.sys (548 KB for my case) from another computer or CD  to any CD. ( I Got it from my Windows Vista laptop). 

2. When that message appears just insert this CD with hdaudbus.sys file. It takes a while (10 mins in my case) to move ahead. But it does move ahead!!!

Here's a copy of the file i used (Zipped) just in case. 

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EK58YBQC

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2010 04:00

This is strange.  I have an E510 and have never needed or even got that message.  I don't recall any other E510/5150 model user reporting this problem on this forum. 

The E510 uses the SigmaTel integrated audio and Dell SigmaTel driver,not a Microsoft driver. 

How did you do the manual reinstall?  The correct and required sequence, after reformatting the C drive is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop System Software (3) Install Intel (motherboard) chipset drivers (4) Install Device Drives including Video, Dell SigmaTel audio, ethernet, etc. 

You need to specificlly use the Dell SigmaTel driver for the audio, non Dell drivers (or later IDT drivers) will either not work or not work properly.  SigmaTel is now called IDT.

No Events found!