herbccc
1 Nickel

Microsoft says i need to contact vendor over firmware error .

I got this error after coming out of the sleep state on new Dell 8900

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-HAL
Date: 9/7/2009 10:10:11 AM
Event ID: 12
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: (1)
User: N/A
Computer:
Description: The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.

CAUSE
This event is reported after detection of memory corruption by firmware after a power transition or sleep event.
RESOLUTION
Contact your hardware vendor to obtain the updated firmware and BIOS to address this issue.

I believe i have the latest bios , 2.13.

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
7- Thorium

RE: Microsoft says i need to contact vendor over firmware error .

For starters, try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reseat all RAM modules in their slots
  6. Reinstall battery and close case
  7. Reboot

If the problem isn't cleared and you're still under warranty, you should contact Dell Tech Support for assistance. Might just be a bad RAM module...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

RE: Microsoft says i need to contact vendor over firmware error .

This is an issue for years and years and years.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2028443

Firmware memory corruption across sleep transitions affects previous versions of Windows, including Windows Vista and Windows XP.

Similar to Windows 7, Windows Vista–based systems do not store operating system code and data in the lowest 1MB of physical memory. This prevents memory corruption on Windows Vista–based systems from negatively affecting the user experience.

However, Windows XP does use the lowest 1 MB of physical memory. Manufacturers should investigate sleep reliability issues on Windows XP–based systems for firmware memory corruption issues. To find the root cause of the reliability problem, install Windows 7 on the system and look for the firmware memory corruption diagnostic that is described in the next section of this document.

Neither Windows Vista nor Windows 7 stores operating system code and data in the lowest 1 MB of physical memory, regardless of whether Windows is running on real or virtualized hardware.

System manufacturers and firmware developers should use the information in this paper to ensure that new platforms do not have memory corruption in the lowest 1 MB of physical memory during a sleep transition:

• System manufacturers should cycle all platforms through sleep transitions and check for HAL event ID 12. If the event occurs, contact the firmware developer to investigate and resolve the issue with a BIOS update.
  • Firmware developers should use the detailed data in HAL event ID 12 to determine the code defect that is responsible for the memory corruption.
  • Customers who discover this event on their systems should check for updated firmware or BIOS for their system.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro