Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2012 14:00

Missing Drivers on XPS 700

Hi!

I just reinstalled Windows XP on my 2006 XPS 700 and the following drivers are missing. I cannot locate them on the website. Only the SM Bus Controller. Here are the ones missing:

Ethernet controller

Multimedia Audio Controller

Video Controller

Not sure why the didn't load in the initial re-installation. Have the disk for the drivers but they still won't load. 

Help is GREATLY appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 3rd, 2012 15:00

OOPS! Fireberd types faster than I do! :emotion-3:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

All the drivers for the XPS 700 are listed here.  

There's a Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Intergrated Controller driver (Broadcom Driver) listed under Network, but you'll have to choose the other drivers to match your audio card, video card etc.

You can try using your Service Tag on the support site to see if that will help you find the ones you need.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

The Dell drivers can be accessed   HERE   

The multimeida audio controller is part of the sound drivers. 

Make sure you install the motherboard chipset drivers first, then the missing device drivers.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 4th, 2012 12:00

The nVidia SMB driver you installed is the chipset driver. This should always be the first driver installed after XP is newly loaded. Otherwise other drivers may not install or may not work.

Here's Dell's tutorial on manual installation of Windows XP. Don't forget you'll need to download all the latest updates from the Microsoft Update site, including SP3 if you installed a prior version of XP.

Dell's support site has been having its problems lately, so it's entirely possible it isn't showing you all the drivers you need based on your Service Tag. Dell knows about the issues trying to resolve them.

If you eventually let us know which ones are missing, based on your Service Tag number, we'll try to make sure Dell fixes it.

6 Posts

June 4th, 2012 12:00

I did enter the service tag #. Will try to look again. I'm sure I need more info than just the name of the missing drivers.

@ Fireberd.... motherboard chipset drivers?? That's a little beyond my computer knowledge.

Thanks all for info!!

6 Posts

June 4th, 2012 18:00

These are the missing drivers listed on the computer with a yellow question mark next to them:

Ethernet Controller

Multimedia Audio Controller

SM Bus Controller (found this one)

Video Controller

I have reinstalled Windows 5 times before but always without disk. Upon booting the system ( using control + F11) the option to "restore" was not available. Only "reboot" which is why I broke out the operating system disk. I also have the drivers and utilities disk and have tried to use it to reinstall missing drivers but it only shows me what is on the computer. I cannot get online so I cannot make any updates.

Thanks!!

14.4K Posts

June 4th, 2012 19:00

use another computer and download the drivers to a flash drive and then port them over to the 700.

Your drivers are HERE

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 4th, 2012 20:00

You have to install the Chipset first, before the other drivers. And as I already said, there's a Broadcom network driver listed under Network on the main page for the XPS 700 drivers. That's the one you need for the ethernet controller.

Are you using on-board video or an add-in video card (eg, ATI or nVidia)? Do you have an add-in sound card?

6 Posts

June 5th, 2012 10:00

I'm not sure if it's on-board or add-in. Computer came with everything already installed.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 5th, 2012 11:00

If you don't have your original printed invoice handy, use your Service Tag on the support site to look up the original configuration of your system.

See if the online configuration mentions either an ATI or nVidia video card and either Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic and/or Sigmatel audio.

Post the model numbers for the video and audio here so someone can help you find the right drivers.

14.4K Posts

June 5th, 2012 12:00

700s  shipped with Nvidia cards. Either a 8800gT or a 8800GTX.  Which would use the same driver. I do not recall ever seeing an option for and ATI card as the Nvidia chipset never played well with ATI products.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 5th, 2012 12:00

@DaveT50 -

There are video drivers for the ATI Radeon X1900XTX and X1950XTX plus 4 different nVidia driver files listed for the XPS700 on Dell's support site. So that's why I asked the OP to confirm which video card might be installed in this system.

I don't want to recommend a driver for the wrong card and end up causing a bigger problem... :emotion-5:

14.4K Posts

June 5th, 2012 13:00

I know what it lists but I also know what they were speced with. I am wondering if this is another casualty of the drivers section being messed up

14.4K Posts

June 5th, 2012 19:00

Yes the drivers section has been a mess for a bit.  We can help you find the correct drivers most likely.  make sure you install these two drivers first.

Chipset

Desktop system software

For the rest if you run the system configuration like ROHE linked to  it will give you a list of what was installed in your system when you bought it.

I am guessing you have a Sound blaster Audio card and a Nvidia 7900 series video card. As this was the fairly standard build.

6 Posts

June 5th, 2012 19:00

@Davet50: do you mean the drivers section on the Dell website? Ugh, I'm wondering if I would be better off getting a whole new operating system to install. This is getting beyond my knowledge/ability.

No Events found!