Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 3rd, 2012 18:00

Monitor Hookup with HDMI

I bought a new Dell XPS desktop computer with a Dell ST2420L monitor.  Monitor is connected to the computer via a HDMI cable.  After the monitor is on for several hours, the display will suddenly go out but you can tell the monitor is still on.  Only recourse is to turn off the computer with the power switch and reboot.  Trying to determine if the monitor is  defective or if I have a defective video card.  Have a AMD Radeon HD 7770 GB video card. I connected the monitor with a DVI cable and left the monitor on for several hours and the display did not go out.  Problem seems to be with the HDMI hookup.

September 3rd, 2012 19:00

I have the Windows power settings to never turn off the monitor.  Every time the display has went out I am on the computer either web browsing or working in Word or Excel.  The last time this happened I was working in a spreadsheet when the display went out and I lost all my data since the last save.  

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 19:00

Steve_Decraemer,

The monitor HDMI port is passive. if the video card ever stops sending a repeated signal throught he HDMI port, the monitor will react that way. Check to be sure the Windows operating system powersave options are not set to turn the monitor off or that the computer is not going into some Standby or Hiberante Mode.
* Open the Device Manager
* Find the listing for PCIe or PCIx
* Right click them one at a time
* Click Properties
* Look for a Powermanagement tab. If found, click it
* Remove the check from "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
* Click Ok- Apply- OK

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 5th, 2012 23:00

Open the monitor OSD menu, go to Audio Settings. Set Power Save Audio to OFF. Retest.

If the monitor still goes into Power Save Mode, open the monitor OSD menu, go to Other Settings. Set DDC/DI to Disable. Retest.

4.4K Posts

May 30th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                                                                

No Events found!