Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2012 09:00

Monitor Won't Show Anything Anymore

My computer and monitor was working just fine this morning. I moved the computer upstairs into another room. Plugged everything back in and now the monitor won't work. I made sure the monitor cord and the power cord is plugged tightly into the monitor and plugged the power cord into an outlet. I then made sure the monitor cord was tightly secured into the computer (desktop). The computer turns on and everything seems fine.The orange power button is lit up on the monitor but it never turns green. I have an identical monitor with an identical computer and the monitor works fine. I took the monitor and cords from that one and tried it with the computer that isn't working. The monitor still doesn't come on.

What could be wrong when the monitor was working fine this morning but after I moved it upstairs it doesn't work anymore. Then after trying the same monitor that currently works, doesn't work with this computer?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 11th, 2012 11:00

Disconnect the monitor from the PC and then turn the monitor on. If anything appears, then the culprit is the PC video card.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

February 11th, 2012 12:00

On many computers there is both an integrated video port and a video card port. Make sure you connected the monitor to the video card's port and not the disabled integrated video port. That can be easy to do.

11 Posts

February 11th, 2012 16:00

When I disconnect the monitor from the PC it shows something like Red Blue Yellow or something along those lines in a box. But soon as I plug the cable back into the PC that goes away and goes to a lighter black screen and the power button turns green for a few seconds then goes back to orange.

Also there is only one port where the monitor fits on the PC, its highlighted by blue, the same color of the monitor cord.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 12th, 2012 11:00

"it shows something like Red Blue Yellow"
That means the monitor STFC (Self-Test Feature Check) passed. So the issue is with the video card in the PC. What specific Dell model PC? Send me the service tag via private message so I can look it up.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 13th, 2012 05:00

Your Dimension 9150/XPS 400 shipped with the PCIe x16 Nvidia Geforce 7300LE which has a blue VGA port and white DVI port. Power the PC and monitor off, open the PC case cover, disconnect the monitor from the video card, remove and reseat the video card in the motherboard slot. Reconnect the monitor VGA to the video card VGA, close the cover, power them both on again.

11 Posts

February 13th, 2012 12:00

I took out the video card and put it back. Put all the cords back to the monitor and computer and powered them both up and still the same result. Before I plug the monitor into the PC I get the self test screen. Soon as I plug the monitor cord into the PC it goes black and the power button on the monitor turns from green to orange. Any other solutions or is the video card dead? I just dont understand how it could work 10 minutes ago and soon as I move the PC/Monitor to another room it stops working.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Read through this.

11 Posts

Is there any special way to take out the video card? I thought you would just slide it out but its really tight in there. I unlocked this blue arm/latch that was in the way but its still really tight. Let me know if there is any special instructions on taking it out.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 14th, 2012 06:00

It is odd but all indications say the video card is bad. You could purchase a low end PCIe x16 video card from a local store. Test it. if still no go, return the video card to the store. Then, we would have to look at the motherboard slot as being defective.

11 Posts

February 14th, 2012 08:00

So as long as the card has the name "PCIe x16" somewhere in it then it should fit? I don't think any local shops will have it, ill check best buy. I don't want to buy anything expensive if its not the problem, so would this one work?

www.bestbuy.com/.../3771156.p

No Events found!