Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2017 08:00

Monitor shuts down if touch tower

I have a new Dell XPS8910 and a Dell S2316M monitor purchased last year. The computer uses a new type cord to connect to the monitor. I bought an adapter to join the monitor to my computer. The problem is if I touch the tower the monitor no longer connects. 

The XPS8910 came with an adapter to connect to monitor. My new PC was replaced by Dell due to problems. The replacement PC needed a different pin layout so I bought a new adapter.  Both the 1st and current PC have problems keeping the monitor connected. With some adjusting it reconnects. This is very annoying. I have tried tightening the connections, but any moving of the tower causes a disconnect.

Any ideas of what I can do to fix the annoying problem?

9 Posts

August 14th, 2017 12:00

Changing the cables from my monitor to the XPS8910 to a HDMI to DVI Adapter cable worked perfect.  I bought it from Amazon the $7 and am very pleased. No more adapter that causes the screen to go blank and the picture is nice. My pc does have a NVIDIA graphics card so easy to adjust my screen to my likes.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 12th, 2017 12:00

Since 2 PCs are having the same problem, it sounds more like an issue with the monitor.

What happens if you test a different monitor on this PC or this monitor on another PC?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 13th, 2017 22:00

Thank you for your message.

Have you checked the connectivity on the monitor end? 

Does the monitor flicker if the video cable is moved?

For better assistance, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

9 Posts

August 14th, 2017 07:00

I have ordered a HDMI to DVI adapter cable. That should have a more secure connection from monitor to PC. Coming in today so will post the results.

No Events found!