Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2009 18:00

Monitor won't change size of screen

I am fixing a deminsion 2400. The screen is locked to one size and the slide bar doesn't move. What could cause this and how can I fix it. I ave tried 2 different screens and the both do the same thing. I noticed in the device management, that the monitor doesn't even show. Any help would be appriciated

2.8K Posts

julie8548,
I assume you're talking about the Resolution slide bar in Display Properties. Odds are the drivers for that Dimension 2400's video card aren't installed so the screen resolution is stuck at 640x480. Install the video card drivers & the issue should be resolved.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Did you recently reinstall Windows? If yes, did you install the chipset driver and the right video driver? And did you install them in the correct order? Drivers for the 2400 are here.

Ron

141 Posts

July 30th, 2009 08:00

I am new to this,but yes I just reinstalled windows. In what order ndo I need to download the drives. Please help if you can.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 30th, 2009 10:00

It's not the order you download them, it's the order you install them.

Go here and put in the Service Tag number for this PC. That should take you to a list of the correct drivers for this specific PC. Download the chipset driver plus the drivers for the video, audio, network adaptor, modem, etc. You can do this on any PC and either save them on a USB memory stick or burn them on a CD for installation on the 2400. Each driver is a .exe file. Be sure to read the instructions to install each driver.

The correct installation order is:

XP followed by

Chipset driver

Video Driver

Audio Driver

Network Driver

Modem Driver

etc.

That should fix the problem.

Ron

EDIT: Fixed the link

141 Posts

July 30th, 2009 11:00

Ron,

I got the chipset driver and the video driver downloaded now I have run into another problem. After I did this I have lost the internet acess. If you have any suggesions

please let me know. By the way my screen is fixed now and I thank you .

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 30th, 2009 12:00

Glad the video is fixed.

You didn't say how the system connects to the internet. Are you using the built-in network adaptor (possibly connected to a router) or a dial-up modem?

Now that the chipset  driver is installed, you probably need to reinstall the driver for the Broadcom 4401 integrated NIC, and if you use one, for the dial-up modem too.

Ron

No Events found!