Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 16th, 2012 06:00

Motherboard, CPU or PSU Failure

Hya, my Dell Inspiron 530 has the dreaded steady amber light and will not power up.

So far I have got as far as stripping the machine back to motherboard, PSU & CPU (disconnected are the HDD, DVD / CD ROM, I/O ports, etc). Still no power up, yet the CPU fan does start, then stop almost immediately.

Next step was to jump the 24 pin PSU connector to provide a power up signal, did this and no change. So I guess it's down to a failed motherboard, CPU or PSU, however I'm not sure of how to troubleshoot these three? I have a good multimeter and know enough to be dangerous.....

If I've missed something, please let me know and thanks in advance for your reply.

953 Posts

October 16th, 2012 08:00

Hi dfhammer,

Steady amber light on the power button for Inspiron 530 means this is a system fault error condition, including the power supply. Only the +5VSB rail on the power supply is working correctly.

To troubleshooting this situation:

1. Ensure all power cables are securely connected to the system board.
  2. Ensure the main power cable (20/24 pin connector to the motherboard) and front panel cable (power button cable) is securely connected to the system board.

As you have mentioned you have already reseated the connections, it might require you to replace the power supply in the machine.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please do write back to us.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 16th, 2012 13:00

dfhammer

It would that the power supply has failed, or has issues, try installing a different unit and see if this makes a difference.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed in the Inspiron 530 Mini Tower, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is required.

The power supply replacement procedure is HERE

Check out the Corsair and Antec lines of power supplies.

Bev.

4.4K Posts

May 17th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                            

No Events found!