Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2011 21:00

Multimedia Audio Controller? No drivers?

Ok hi,

I've been given a DELL Dimension 8400  (fyi: had two original DVD drives) running Windows XP MCE 2005. It was given to me by a friend who thought it was totally broken and wanted his data salvaged, fair enough. It was running a heavily corrupted copy of Windows Vista. I re-installed XPMCE'05 today and was unable to install any sound device drivers (w/ the original C:\DELL\ folder). I enabled 'Onboard Audio' in the BIOS and then could install the SoundMAX Driver, which left me with a 'Multimedia Audio Controller' whining in the device manager that there was no drivers installed for it. No drivers from support.dell.com have helped either. So in the end, I am not able to get sound out of my computer.

I don't know if I'm out of my place or anything but I do fully appreciate any help in regards to this matter.

Thank you,

user99672.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 4th, 2011 04:00

The Mutltimedia Audio Controller is part of the sound drivers.  Normally, when the correct sound drivers are installed this problem is solved.  There is a specific and required install sequence and that may be the problem.  (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop System Software (3) Install Intel motherboard chipset drivers (4) Install device drivers including Video, DELL Sound Driver, Ethernet, etc.

One of the most often skipped item and key to a successful install is the motherboard chipset drivers.  These must be installed before instaling sound drivers.   On a Dell Integrated Audio (e.g. your Soundmax) the Dell drivers need to be used as non-Dell drivers either do not work or do not work correctly.  

If the chipset drivers were skipped, usually they can be installed, the PC rebooted and then any missing device drivers installed.  In a few cases it takes a new, correct sequence/correct drivers, to get everything working.

2 Posts

August 4th, 2011 10:00

Well I didn't do it in order but did install the chipset driver, oh well foolish me. Many thank yous.

EDIT: the CREATIVE driver in the \DELL\ folder was a dud. After downloading the driver from CREATIVE's website and following the above advice, I'm now getting sound.

awkward tho. :emotion-7:

72 Posts

August 4th, 2011 13:00

Dell

72 Posts

August 4th, 2011 13:00

Fffffgg
No Events found!