Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2009 22:00

Multimedia Audio Controller?

Hi there,

I have a Dimension 9100.  

Everything was perfect with my computer when all of the sudden,  there is no sound or audio whatsoever.  No skype, youtube, itunes, computer sound effects, nothing at all.  It's almost as if I had enabled some master mute.  I've tested the speakers and the mic in another computer and they work fine.  The System Information tells me the sound card (SB Live! 24) is properly installed and working.  Belarc also tells me everything is fine but for this remark about one of the drives which I really don't understand:

Volume0 [Hard drive] (214.75 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Volume0
†' [Hard drive] -- drive 1, Not 
SMART

I read online about the meaning of SMART, so I wonder whether that has anything to do with this.  In addition, the Device Manager, under Other Devices, lists this Multimedia Audio Controller.  It has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.  When I click on it, the window has an interrogation mark and messages along the lines of "criver missing/uninstalled."  None of this makes any sense to me.

Does anybody have a clue about what's going on with my computer.  Any suggestions or advice are welcome.

Panzon

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 25th, 2009 06:00

The "smart" or (not havfing smart) has nothing to do with the sound - it's strictly an internal hard drive feature that some drives have.

The first thing to do, since you have a separate sound card, is to reseat the card.  Reseat - with the PC powered off, disconnect the speaker, then open the case and remove the sound card, then reinstall the sound card, making sure it's fully and correctly seated.  Reconnect the speaker and power the PC on and see if that takes care of the sound problem (Windows may "find new hardware" and reinstall the sound since the card was reseated - that's OK).

2 Posts

August 27th, 2009 22:00

Thanks for the tip.

I did as instructed and unfortunately the situation remains the same.  No sound/audio whatsoever.  I was not asked to reinstall anything.  

The multimedia audio controller device status says "drievers for this device are not installed."  My sound card is a Sound Blaster Live 24 bit.  I wonder if my complete lack of sound/audio has anything to do with the fact that my system type is 32 bit.  I have no clue so I'm just guessing at this time, however everything was fine with the audio until a few weeks ago.

The option to install the driver for the multimedia audio controller takes to look for the driver in my computer.  At this point I really dont know where to go or what to choose since I'm given the choice to "pick from a list of device drivers in my computer."  Should I select Creative and then Sound Blaster 24?  Once I'm here I get an Update Driver Warning that informs me that y computer might stop working completely.

Any suggestions are welcome.  I hope very few users have to deal very rarely with such a frustrating situation like this one.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 28th, 2009 06:00

The mutimedia audio controller can be two things.  Usually it is part of the sound card drivers.  However, since you have a separate SoundBlaster sound card, if the Integrated (on the motherboard) audio was enabled in the BIOS (setup - F2 at boot up) it could be referring to the integrated audio and that could also be interferring with the SoundBlaster.

First thing to do is check the BIOS and make sure the Integrated Audio (may be labled Legacy Audio) is disabled.  Then download and install the Drivers for the SoundBlaster.

No Events found!