Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2009 22:00

Multimedia Audio Controller

Hey,

You can prolly guess my problem--I'm missing a driver for my Multimedia Audio Controller, but before you link me to the Dell Drivers site, I must mention I have downloaded literally every driver I could find when trying to google this problem. This seems to be quite common with people. I'm running a Dell 8400 Dimension. My hard drive fried so I had to buy a new one and I loaded XP Professional on here. I think my computer originally came with XP Home Edition and I feel like this might have something to do with it.  I've tried going to the creative labs site and finding drivers there, but have failed. If I can remember correctly, my soundcard MIGHT be a SB! Live. I'm not entirely sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to figure this one out.

Thanks all,

Mark

4.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 04:00

Welcome to the forums Mark

It doesn't have anything to do with using XP Pro instead of XP Home. 

The only difference that makes, is that your OS won't be pre-activated in the BIOS.  The drivers offered on the Dell website, will still work - since they don't discriminate between XP Home/XP Pro.

You'll have to find out exactly what soundcard you've got, because the missing multimedia audio controller can only be remedied, by installing/reinstalling the correct audio drivers.

And the correct drivers will be on the Drivers & Downloads page

I don't know what drivers you can have tried, because there are only two sets of audio drivers available for the Dimension 8400?

One set are for systems with an integrated audio chip only.  And the other set are for an Audigy 2 ZS.

So if you definitely have a dedicated Creative soundcard... and it's the one which was fitted by Dell(rather than one you've since bought/fitted yourself), it has to be the Audigy 2 ZS - the drivers for which are here 

Download/install those, and your multimedia audio controller problem will disappear :emotion-5:

March 22nd, 2009 13:00

Hey,

thanks for getting back so fast.

I've tried both of them and they both fail. I just realized last night that I didn't have the integreated audio in BIOS on. I turned that back on and when I rebooted I got a popup thing saying Found New Hardware-Multimedia Audio Controller. I triedthose drivers again but I still got the same error.

EDIT:

Actually, I just paid more attention. When the Found New Hardware wizard comes it, and windows goes to install the drivers automatically, it says it fails because "data is invalid." I got this same error when I tried to plug my webcam in to. I was reading and couldn't find much. Some people suggested it had something to do with the chipset drivers or something, but I installed them from the dell site.

EDIT:

Just to be more specific, after trying the driver you linked, and the other one too, I get the message: "Setup did not detect the required components. Setup will exit."

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 20:00

I'm having the same trouble.  Can anyone help? thanks.

December 2nd, 2009 21:00

hey,

i cant remember how I resolved this issue. I think it had something to do with the wrong operating system. I might have been trying to install XP Professional when my Dell ran on Home.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 03:00

The Operating System has nothing to do with it, unless you are trying to install drivers that are for a different OS (XP Home and XP PRO are NOT different OS's - they are basically the same except that Pro has some additional features that Home does not have).  However, if you installed or reinstalled, if you do not install the chipset drivers then the sound drivers will not install, and as previously noted the Multimedia Audio Controller is part of your sound card (or integrated audio sound) drivers.  When the correct sound drivers are properly installed it will take care of the Multimedia Audio Controller. 

On most Dell's the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop Software (on applicable models) (3) Install chipset drivers (4) Install Device Drivers including sound, video, ethernet, etc.

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 15:00

So if I reformate;

1) Install Windows

2) Not sure what desktop software is?

3) Install chipset (R91894.EXE)

4) Install Device drivers (in any order)

(question, do I need to install motherboard_driver_audio_realtek_azalia.exe, SBA2_PCWDRV_LB_1_84_55-R1.exe,

or  SBA2_EAX4DRV_031031.exe?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 4th, 2009 03:00

warp11, what Model PC and operatings system do you have?  With what you posted it would appear you do not have an the same model PC as the original poster and should not have hijacked this thread, but instead started your own thread.  It may or may not be the "same" problem.

The desktop system software is not applicable to all models. 

The audio driver depends on the PC model number, operating system.  The Dell sound driver, on Integrated Audio systems, should be used due to Dell custom installs.  Usually retail drivers or drivers from another PC vendor do not work or work correctly.  If you have an optional SoundBlaster sound card then it depends on the particular model sound card.  On some systems there is optional (optional at extra cost when the PC was ordered) SoundBlaster Advanced MB, but this is ONLY a software enhancement to the integrated audio, it's not the audio "driver".

Anything additional that you need, start a new post so this one doesn't get hijacked any further.

4 Posts

December 4th, 2009 12:00

sorry, didn't mean to  hijack this thread, I was looking for help. Ok Ill try to start a new one. thanks:emotion-16:

No Events found!