Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2017 16:00

Multiple Issues

Hi, you may remember me from such threads as Nothing on Monitor After Replacing Motherboard.

XPS 8700, Win 8.1

Long story short, Dell told me I needed a new motherboard and it was replaced, although the graphics card seemed to be the issue, and since then that has been replaced with a refurbished one.

There are three issues I have at the moment though that I wasn't experiencing with my other motherboard...

1. When I first try to shut down the computer, it shuts down, then boots up again. When I shut it down again though it does shut down.

2. 2 ram slots closest to the fan aren't working. When I have all 4 ram in, I get the 4 beeps on start up.

3. The graphics card fan revs high, then stops sporadically.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 17th, 2017 23:00

Thank you for your message.

Does this happen every time you shut down the computer?

Update the bios dell.to/2tlmTWc   followed by the chipset http://dell.to/2vwGmzX  & video drivers http://dell.to/2vwj9xB & check the functionality.

To assist you better, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

13 Posts

July 23rd, 2017 07:00

Thanks for the reply.

The bios was already updated.

I've updated the graphics card.

When I try to update the chipset. I get' "File copying was not successful. Setup will exit." while it is supposedly copying CSVer.dll.

No, it doesn't happen every time I shut down the PC.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 24th, 2017 15:00

" 2 ram slots closest to the fan aren't working."

Possibly a bad motherboard or bad RAM?

Have you tried putting each RAM module in those 2 "non-working" slots, one at a time, so only the one slot being tested has a module, and all other slots are empty?

13 Posts

July 25th, 2017 06:00

Yep. Tried different ram and the different slots.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 26th, 2017 13:00

I think you're back to having a bad motherboard if 2 RAM slots don't work...

13 Posts

August 6th, 2017 07:00

It was the motherboard again. Ram issue fixed.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 6th, 2017 18:00

Are you saying this was 2nd replacement mobo that Dell sent which wasn't working??

You sure seem to have bad luck...

No Events found!