Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 21st, 2017 22:00

My Dell optiplex 740 mini tower wont open windows.It wonnt install windows.it keeps repeating the same thing.Do i need to buy a Dell recovery disk?

My dell optiplex 740 will open windows ,so before this happened,i install windows 7 home premium instead of windows 7 professional.When it didn't install properly,my windows will not open after i restart my PC it keeps saying  The computer restart unexpectedly  or encountered an error.Windows installation cannot proceed.To install windows,click "OK"to restart the computer,and then restart the installation.this message keeps repeating itself every time i boot my pc up.I try to reset my PC factory settings,but it wouldn't work,do i need  to buy a Dell recovery disk to get my PC running?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2017 05:00

Sounds like a faulty hard drive is the cause - F12 at powerup.  Boot to the Dell diagnostics and run an extended test (not just the quick test) on the hard drive -- you'll likely find it fails, in which case - replace the drive and reload.

July 22nd, 2017 15:00

when i press F12, i get a pop up menu saying  Boot Device Menu: 1.Normal.  2.Diskkette Drive 3. Hard Drive 4. CD/DVD=RW Drive

5.System Setup. 6.Hard Drive Diagnostics 7. Boot Utility  Partition. When i did the .Hard Drive Diagnostics, all it read is IDE Drive Diagnostics,it said  SATA 1ST  Master - PASS

SATA 2ND MASTER - Not  supported

Test complete,Press(Enter to Reboot).does this mean i have to buy another hard drive with Dell recovery disk?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2017 16:00

How long did the test take?

So what this mean? Do I have to buy another hard drive plus Dell recovery disk?

Not even two minutes

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 27th, 2017 15:00

You have to install F6 Mass storage drivers because the onboard storage is not native to windows.

Otherwise Sata Operation must NOT BE AHCI must be ATA.

Encountered a problem aka STOP 7B

AHCI = STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

You MUST install F6 drivers at the time of OS install from floppy for AHCI.

Or Install ATA /Combination/Legacy and run the patch.

You MUST install in ATA /COMBINATION/ LEGACY MODE.

After you use the BIOS setup of a Windows 7-based computer or a Windows Vista-based computer to change the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) mode of the boot drive to use either the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification or redundant array of independent disks (RAID) features, you receive the following error message when the computer is restarted:

STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode to AHCI

support.microsoft.com/.../922976

This issue occurs if the disk driver in Windows 7 or Windows Vista is disabled.

This driver must be enabled before you change the SATA/RAID mode of the boot drive.

To resolve this issue automatically, click the Fix this problem link.

Then, click Run in the File Download dialog box and follow the steps in this wizard.

Fix this problem
Microsoft Fix it 50470

Note This wizard may be only in English. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.

No Events found!