Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2017 15:00

My Ethernet speed is slower than my Wireless Speed

Hey guys and gals so I ran into another problem when trying to improve my internet connection. I am now noticing that my wired connection is actually slower than my wireless connection to my PC via the PCI-E WLAN. The cable is a CAT 7 20 feet... on speedtest it's showing 56mbps downstream whereass wireless is around 118mbps. So i have 2 1/2 questions... appreciate any help and expertise you can share with me.

1.) Can I upgrade my ethernet connection? 

2.) Should I upgrade my ethernet to a gigabyte connection? Will it be worth it?

24 Posts

January 18th, 2017 15:00

I have a Dell XPS 435t/9000

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 19th, 2017 05:00

Category 7 cable standard was created to allow 10 Gigabit Ethernet over copper wire.  This is shielded cable and not suitable for CAT5 or CAT6 aka Gigabit or 100 meg ethernet.  There are no commercial routers that I know of that have 10 gig ethernet connections. There is a reason that BrokenRing lost the Standards Wars. 

The other reason it might be bad is that PAIRS are not being used.,

1 2 3 then 6  45 then 78

You should not do 12345678

24 Posts

January 19th, 2017 17:00

Alright thank you for the detailed explanation it makes sense. However so what cable do I need? It should be faster and more reliable wired? Only problem is I do need 20 ft of cable.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 20th, 2017 11:00

Do you have the latest Ethernet driver installed?

24 Posts

January 20th, 2017 14:00

I do. I thought cat 7 would give me the best speed possible so still not sure what cable I need. It shouldn't be capped at 100mbps right that's what I get out of my wifi

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 20th, 2017 16:00

Now I have a question for you...

In your other thread you said all your devices are 5 GHz. But, Dell only very recently started installing a dual band "ac" WiFI card that supports 5 GHz in certain PCs  and it's an option at extra cost on some of versions of those models.

So your XPS 435t/9000 has a single band 2.4 GHz WiFi card, unless you upgraded it after you purchased the system from Dell...

What am I missing?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 20th, 2017 16:00

What's the speed rating for your ISP service? If it's capped at 100, that's the best you can get, no matter what...

As I mentioned in your other thread, speeds vary based on network traffic, which changes with day of  week and time of day, and distance to the speedtest.net server being pinged.

I just used speedtest.net with an Ethernet cable connected directly to FiOS service to ping a server that's ~10 miles from here and got ~32 Mbps, and then immediately pinged a server in TX (~1500 miles) and got only ~11 Mbps. So you can clearly see how distance makes a difference. (Tested on a desktop which doesn't have WiFi so I can't compare the two.)

In order to compare your Ethernet to WiFi, you'd probably have to test them repeatedly, eg. Ethernet, then WiFi, then Ethernet... one right after the other. Otherwise, it's not fair to compare because of all the variables which you can't control.

CAT5e or CAT6 (or CAT6a) cable should probably be fine for home use.  

24 Posts

January 20th, 2017 18:00

Alright I'll call my isp and ask. Good question rohe and thank you for your assistance on all my questions. As for my card I'm not sure but I do know I'm connected to my router under 5ghz connection because it gives me 2 options the 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections. I never upgraded it it came with the system. Would you suggest a pci card upgrade I don't think I will be getting much faster with Ethernet, though I'm just speculating since on my mobile devices I'm getting 118mbps also.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 21st, 2017 13:00

If the WiFi card came with the system, it's Dell's Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n and I'll be really surprised if it is dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz) capable.  Dell only started offering dual band cards in their latest, most expensive, XPS models, and mostly as an optional upgrade.

You need to find out what your ISP plan speed is rated at. If you're already getting 100+ Mbps at speedtest.net via WiFi then you may already be maxed out....

And if your current card is talking to the router at/near the router's rated link speed, a new WiFi card may not help much, because the bottleneck could be your connection to the ISP. Depending on your ISP, you might be able to purchase a plan with higher speeds, but it will probably cost more...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 24th, 2017 04:00

An UN shielded Twisted pair commercial cat5 or Cat 6 of 7 meters are cheap.

http://www.staples.com/25+ft+ethernet+cable/directory_25+ft+ethernet+cable

No Events found!