Highlighted
2 Bronze

My PC either freezes during start-up or restarts at a certain point

My PC is having start-up problems. Here's a list of the things that happens: (It differs when the ethernet cable is plugged in or not)

This is a PC that uses Windows 8.1

With Ethernet cable plugged in:

1. Turn on PC.

2. It loads to all the way to the blue screen. (The blue screen is there because blue is my colour that I chose for the background)

3. It stays on that blue screen for a while.

4. Screen goes black, and pressing keys on the keyboard or moving the mouse does nothing.

5. After a while, the computer restarts and the same thing happens all over again.

Without ethernet cable plugged in.

1. Turn on PC.

2. It loads to all the way to the blue screen. (The blue screen is there because blue is my colour that I chose for the background)

3. It stays on that blue screen for a while.

4. Screen goes black, I press a key on the keyboard and my sign-in image appears.

5. The sign -in image is the only thing that appears. It doesn't say the stuff that it normally said before, like the date and time, and a little network logo etc. 

6. It stays on the sign-in image for a long time, and pressing buttons has no affect. I don't yet know how long it stays on that sing-in image because I turn the PC off after a while.

The day before this problem, the PC was working absoluetly fine. Although, it did stay on the blue screen for a while then too, but it would always work in the end. I always thought that it was because it's usually the first start-up of the day where the blue screen takes a while because I always turn the electricity off at night. This is a new PC, bought 26th September 2014 and has a 3 year warranty. 

The day before, where it was working fine, I didn't install anything or use anything or go on any dodgy website.

I tried to refresh the PC using the Windows 8.1 install disc that came with the PC, but it says the driver is locked, and I need to unlock it. I don't know how to do that.

I also tried to do a system restore, but it says a required drive partition is missing. It says that whether the install disc is in the PC or not.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
8 Xenon

RE: My PC either freezes during start-up or restarts at a certain point

This isn't a dell because dells do not ship with windows 8.1 Discs.

The drive being BIOS Locked has nothing to do with which OS is running.

The drive may be physically bad.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi.

I missed out some details, so apologies for that.

The PC is the "Dell Precision T3610". I bought it on 26th September 2014 via the dell website. When purchasing, I had the option to chose what OS I wanted to buy. The one it was already on, was "Windows 7 Pro 64x (With Windows 8.1 64x Disc)".

Is this information more useful/helpful?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

So it has 7 or 8 on it now?

If it has 8 then I would suggest booting the DVD via F12 and doing startup repair.You cannot repair 7 with an 8.1 dvd.   Also a machine purchased that recently should be under warranty. But you can't boot your 8.1 dvd because they do not ship with them.  It says WIN7 Pro with 8.1 LICENCE not DVD.

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi again.

It has Windows 8.1. on it now.

To avoid confusion also, my computer was working fine before this. It was using the Windows 8.1. OS smoothly with no problems.

I tried the start up repair and it didn't work and gave no helpful/useful information back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Then you may require a complete reinstall from an 8.1 dvd. If the drive is physically damaged it may not be possible to fix it.  That would mean a new blank drive and complete reinstall from scratch.  Sounds like you did not purchase directly from dell.  If you did the fix should be covered under warranty for a physically bad drive.

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

With such a new computer it is best you call Dell before tinkering around in its innards.

0 Kudos