Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2015 15:00

My Trusty DELL XPS 410

Need a little help. My trusty XPS 410, purchased in 2007, hard drive has died. So with a new hard drive i'm trying upgrade from Vista x32 to Win 7 x64. I'm not a novice to computer upgrades and rebuilds, but this is really got me stumped.

With a replacement hard drive (not new) installed, 250GB. I can get the Windows 7 install disk to read, but once i start the format/install process. It starts the process and "freezes", circles spins but nothing happens, for a couple of hours...then finally i get an error that Windows could not complete the format install process.

I've updated the BIOS and tried a different hard drive, with the same result. Funny thing, Vista will reinstall with no problem. It's a pretty generic factory build, with no real upgrades. I just don't have the money to buy a new PC.

I'm posting this from work, i'll get more information from it tonight. and post another message tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 22nd, 2015 17:00

Are you booting from the Windows 7 install disk? Windows 7 x64 should be quite compatible with the XPS 410. Perhaps the install disk is bad?

5.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2015 18:00

Are you doing a clean install of the Win 7-64,or an upgrade? Can't upgrade 32 to 64bits. Perhaps the Win 7 disk is faulty.

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2015 06:00

Thank you both for your replies, and now i feel like an idiot. Bad install disk, finally worked it out with the USB install tool. I had used that same install disk a week or so ago with no problems. I'd been struggling with this for a few days. I know it took some years off my life.

It was a clean install, took less then 20 minutes to finish, and now it's churning away on updates. Thanks again

John

No Events found!