Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2013 13:00

My Upgrade of Studio XPS 8100 to Windows 8

I upgraded my Studio XPS 8100 to Windows 8 Pro x64 with a clean ('custom') install. Here are 'real life' notes of my upgrade experience, in the hope that it may help others contemplating the same task.

I installed on September 2, 2013. I mention the date because over time Microsoft adds updates to Windows Update that can make the install a little easier (as you'll see below). My copy of Windows 8 was a retail upgrade version that I purchased back when upgrades were being sold for $15.

In short: I had a very successful upgrade. The key to a successful clean install is preparation and plenty of it. Better prepared, less scared.

1. Don't even think of doing this unless you have a backup of your Windows 7 installation.
  2. Assemble everything you'll need before you start. This includes (at a minimum):
    1. installers for drivers and software
    2. software license keys
    3. your Windows 8 license key
    1. your wireless network SSID and password
  3. A clean install takes time and patience. Set aside a whole day and work methodically.

Windows Update

After Windows 8 installed I immediately ran Windows Update. (This is much wiser than installing the Dell System Software that some Dell computers ship with. DSS contains some updates; Windows Update will give you all updates. DSS is for people who don't know how to run Windows Update.)

The first time Windows Update runs it will have many updates to download and install. My screen went black in the middle of Windows Update, and after some anxious moments I realized that my monitor had simply gone to sleep. One of my early adjustments after Windows 8 was done installing was to the Power Options control panel.

Chipset Driver

Intel and Dell both recommend that the chipset driver should be installed before all other drivers. On Intel's website I opened the Intel Driver Update Utility, hoping to find the most recent driver for my H57 chipset. However, the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" included with the Intel Driver Update Utility did not detect my chipset: the "Product Detected" box was blank and the "Current Version Installed" box said "This device is unknown or unsupported."

This might have happened because of OEM customizations made by Dell. Proceeding on that basis, I installed the original Ibex Peak H57 Chipset Driver from Dell. Windows 8 notified me that "Compatibility settings have been applied" and the driver installed successfully.

Afterwards, I ran the Intel Driver Update Utility again. In the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility," the "Product Detected" box was still blank, but this time the "Current Version Installed" box showed a version number for the chipset driver (9.1.1.1020) and said "This version is valid." Mission accomplished, apparently.

Intel AMT HECI Driver

I noticed that one of the updates installed by Windows Update was "Intel - Other Hardware - Intel Management Engine Interface". Since the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) is the successor to the Intel AMT HECI driver, I did not install AMT HECI. Perhaps this was a mistake, but I don't notice any problems.

It's been reported that not installing the AMT HECI driver may cause Device Manager to show a yellow exclamation mark for the PCI Simple Communications Controller. However, I do not seem to have that device in Device Manager and in any case there were no yellow exclamation marks in my Device Manager.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Driver

On the advice of Intel's website I installed the original Dell RST driver (9.5.0.1037). Once again, Windows 8 notified me that "Compatibility settings have been applied" and the driver installed successfully. After doing this, the Intel Driver Update Utility told me that there was a newer driver available (11.6.0.1030) and recommended upgrading. Nevertheless, when I followed the link to upgrade, the version of the RST driver presented was 12.8.0.1016 and that's what I installed, successfully.

Broadcom BCM57780 Ethernet

I installed the driver for the Broadcom BCM57780 Ethernet chip directly from Broadcom's website, which has updated drivers for all recent Broadcom Ethernet chips installed by Dell.

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD

Perhaps because I have a discrete graphics card I was not offered a driver for the embedded Intel GMA graphics chip. I presume and hope that Windows 8 has a driver for this device, because if my discrete graphics card should decide to prematurely die I would like to rely on the integrated graphics until I can buy a new graphics card.

Realtek ALC887 Audio

I noticed that Windows 8 did not install a driver for my Realtek audio device, so I installed Dell's original Realtek driver. (Windows 8 again notified me that "Compatibility settings have been applied.") As it turned out, this was unnecessary. Realtek's website does not specifically offer a driver for the ALC887 audio chip. Instead, it offers "High Definition Audio Codecs" that includes an updated driver. When I installed the High Definition Audio Codecs, the first thing it did was uninstall Dell's driver and replace it with the most recent version.

Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5

This is a cruel trick from Microsoft. It's possible that some of the applications you will subsequently install will require the .Net Framework 3.5. I recommend you install it first, before installing any of your applications. When I was testing the evaluation version of Windows 8 (in a virtual machine) I discovered that if you let applications try to install .Net 3.5 the install can fail with the error code 0x800F0922. Once that happens, you won't be able to install the .Net Framework 3.5 in any manner, no matter what you try. So do it now.

The .Net Framework 3.5 is a 'feature on demand' from Microsoft. That means it's part of Windows, but not included in a standard Windows install to reduce the size of the installer. To add this feature to your computer, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > "Turn Windows features on or off" and select .Net Framework 3.5.

After this, the rest of my upgrade went very smoothly.

One last bit of advice. I eventually figured out how the new Smart Screen works: Just imagine that your computer is a smartphone. Windows 8 has a lock screen, a (customizable) home screen and an 'all apps' screen, just like your smartphone. The problem is, it's running on a computer, not a smartphone. You can do yourself a favor and replace the Start menu from Windows 7 with any of several third-party applications. (I use Start8 by Stardock.) Now your computer works like a computer again!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 13:00

DaddyX

That's a great upgrade and thank you for the information.  :emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!