lesterpaul
1 Nickel

Re: My brand new XPS 630i freezes randomly!

Day two:

Installed Vista Ultimate, allowed Windows updates 51 of them, the computer has stopped responding at 18 of 51. It is completely froozen, locked up tight at 2:09, I let it sit for 15 minutes and now I guess I will restart. I am going to give it one more shot, and then 3 strikes your out and back to the Dell graveyard.

I have just done the following after having to hold the power button down to restart

(1) In the Bios- Advanced- Overvoltage, Change the Chipset voltage from

The computer has started after going to the black screen where you can choose safe mode or last good.

0 Kudos
lesterpaul
1 Nickel

3 hours later I have locked up completly. Only thing installed is Vista and the logitech drivers for usb 3200 keyboard and mouse. Total FREEZE.

I have done this 5:32 pm

CPU CORE: [1.30] 1.3000v
CPU FSB: [1.20v] 1.20v
MEMORY: [1.95v] 1.95v
CHIPSET [1.50v] 1.50v

I recomend all of us to try this fix to stop

I dont see the option mentioned earlier in this thread, changing properties of hard drive, nothing listed about nvidia

0 Kudos
lesterpaul
1 Nickel

Locked up again, calling for an RMA.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
lesterpaul
1 Nickel

I have decided to let support look further into the matter for the benifit of all. I do have an RMA, but I have agreed to wait until Monday. The "supervisor" asked that I up the Memory Voltage to 2.00v.  I was able to download ESA Drivers, Nvidia drivers but once I began installing ESA FREEZE?LOCK UP.

So changing to 2.00v did not fix. Also, I have changed the Memory Time setting to Expert but after this latest FREEZE Up, I am now checking and the Memory Timing is back to Optimal. Something seems to be wrong there. I am again saving to Expert.

0 Kudos
lesterpaul
1 Nickel

I have set memory voltage to 2.10 and it crashes/freezes. I have then again changed to 2.15 and still get freezes. The memory voltage change is not helping.

0 Kudos
lesterpaul
1 Nickel

Memory voltage set to 2.20 and it still locks up. I can't get anyone who can fix this issue. I thought I would give it a try but no luck. Back she goes tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Thorf
1 Copper

Interesting.  My computer is a different type but I'm experiencing the same problem.

I bought a new Studio XPS 435T and it arrived last week.  This is my third Dell and I always reinstall from scratch so that I can repartition the hard disk and get rid of the useless Dell restore partition.  (Why would I want to use it when I can just install from the DVDs?)  I did use it for an hour or two before zapping it, but not really long enough to see if anything was wrong.  So I installed Vista 64 from scratch, using a mixture of the installation discs and up-to-date drivers downloaded from the Internet, and later that evening it froze up just as people here have been describing: mouse frozen, keyboard totally unresponsive, USB also not responding, and sometimes strange noises - although I didn't think anything of these sounds until I read about people hearing the same thing on these boards.

Anyway, the more I used it the more it was crashing, so finally last night I zapped it again and started my second reinstall - this time using only the installation discs.  I did things very slowly, giving it time to crash between installing drivers.  It crashed for me before during Spider Solitaire, so I try playing a few games between installs.  No crashes.  Everything was going fine, to the point that I almost thought the problem had gone away.  I decided to try installing the latest drivers for my video card, and it seemed to work okay.  It was getting late, so I didn't give it that much time to check, though.  Finally I installed CS4 Master Suite (for which I bought this computer in the first place).  It's a long install, but it finished successfully.  Shortly after that, however, everything froze up.  emoticon.Sad.title  What an end to a whole evening's work - especially since by the time it decided to crash I thought things were actually working.

I somewhat suspect it's the video drivers at fault, and when I get home tonight I will try reverting them to the previous version.  I'm also interested in the idea that it's the Realtek sound card, so I will also try disabling it and see what happens.

It's very interesting that the problem seems so similar, even though you guys have the XPS 630 and I'm on the Studio XPS 435.  I guess some of the components must be the same.  Here's what my system has:

Studio XPS 435
Intel Core i7-940 processor (2.93GHz, 8MB L3 cache)
12GB (2GB x 6) triple channel DDR3-SDRAM memory
ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB (DVIx2/TV-out)
1TB SATA HDD (7200rpm)
Windows Vista(R) Ultimate SP1 64-bit (Japanese version)
Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless LAN card (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluray Disc Drive
Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
S2409W 24 inch wide TFT monitor (but I'm using my 248WFP currently)
0 Kudos
knrkmartin
1 Nickel

I have a Dell XPS 430 that was having the same problems.  I have been monitoring this board and a few others to see what might help.  I noticed that there have been issues with the Seagate Hard Drives.  Although my hard drive was supposedly not affected, all the lockups and freezing were when the system was trying to access the hard drive after an extended time of no use.  I installed a Western Digital Hard Drive and installed windows and all the Dell drivers again and have not had a single issue with freezing since.

0 Kudos