Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2005 03:00

My eternal dim 8400 fan debacle noise oh noise

Since purchasing this computer I have been assaulted with the fluctuating, whining, high pitched emanating, whistling fan from a dimension of pure torment.

This fan will start to whine if the CPU usage goes over 20 to 50 % but it would appear only if the cpu usage drops down lower again (this of course being an extremely common occurrence with computers). So for example if the cpu usage is at max 100% consistently then the fan wont whine, but if it drops down or fluctuates to a lower percentage then the fan will emit this extremely irritating high pitched whine. Also interesting to note is that while at 100% the fan does not noticeably speed up by any degree only revving up for a second when not of any real use.

I have had the motherboard replaced which did help ( in the sense that the original motherboard had the fan whining persistently even under 0% cpu usage) but has not in any way solved the problem.

I have had 2 fan replacements, a heat sink replacement and after my computer being in a service depot for 2 weeks they only replaced a hard drive which had nothing wrong with it (I had previously tested the drives) and sent the whining thing back to me not repaired. also have tried using artic silver 5 thermal paste, no use.

I can not find a solution to this and I may seem that dell don’t know what it is either, to be honest I may think that it is a badly engineered motherboard, especially in conjunction with that worthless smart fan technology, bad move.

Anyone else have any idea in what direction I should look for this problems origin, im getting kind of sick of the service calls and changing the fan.

58 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 05:00

Sounds just like my situation! I had the fan replaced to no avail. I tried to get Dell to replace the heat sink, but Dell India solution was replace the PC which is not an option as I use it for work. I was transferd to a Dell tech in TX and he pretty much said "that's they way it is !" I was told they're working on a new BIOS, but who knows if the fan issue is being addressed.

The frustraiting thing is hearing of people with 8400 with no noise issues, even under stress!

January 22nd, 2005 11:00

Well it sure isnt the motherboard thats the problem, that seems like the first conclusion to me. I would stop calling dell because they apparently dont know what theyre doing, and if it truly is the fan that is making the noise (and NOT the system speaker) them i would just buy your own fan from someone thats not Dell, pop it in and there shouldnt be a problem. Most dells seem to use 90mm fans, which are cheap you can get them on the net for about $4-6. If you get a non-Dell fan i dont see any reason it should make any loud noise unless theres something caught in the fan.

1.1K Posts

January 22nd, 2005 12:00

The Dell cooling design is outdated for the highend P4 systems,  to compensate they use a very high rpm fan to move larger amounts of air. Any fan you get that will cool properly will make that much noise. You need to be careful putting aftermarket fans in the Dell case. First they are proprietary and you will get a fan error with an aftermarket fan. Second if you use a fan that doesn't move enough air, you will get a slowdown in your processor because of too high temps.

20 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 13:00

the overall noise that the fan makes is not really a problem for me, its these really muffled very audable  whistles coming from fan in cycles.

i have toyed with getting a new fan but there are 3 problems with doing  this for me.

1. putting it into the shroud casing without damaging the rubber grommets

2.dell motherboard has 4 pin fan connector, will cause fan failer message with new fan

3.cant find any fans with the depth of the installed fan.

20 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 13:00

an example

if i scoll up and down a web page quickley and then stop , the fan will burst into speed for a second causing a very irritating whistle, very audable. cause this increases cpu usage for a second.

this happens so often its driving me nuts.

January 22nd, 2005 14:00

Jeez that stock heatsink is HUGE. Must be a Prescott.

19 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 14:00

Also have a 8400 and found out the FAN from delta electronics (model AFC0912DE, dell p/n P2780) is very noisy. Lots of people have similar complaints on this forum and I think Dell did a very bad job here. My problem is de FAN is always running on same high RPM, irrelevant what the CPU load is. So far only tried bios upgrade to A03 but the only thing I noticed is the difference in FAN diagnostics. Called Dell and they promised me UPS would deliver new FAN today, but nobody showed up :-(

But I found some interesting URL, check out what this guy did with a real Zalman:
http://www.lecodesign.co.uk/zalman/index.html

NicoS

58 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 18:00

Been there, checked that. It's the processor fan in mine! Boot up the system with the chassy open and disconect the processor fan. Guess what? Then it's quiet!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2005 18:00

Hey guys,

I'll bet it's the fan on video card not system or CPU fans. Give away is your comment that fan sound increases when scrolling up/down a web page quickly.

Just opening powerpoint on my 8400 gets the video card fan whizzing. Keeps going even if I minimize powerpoint and let PC sit idle. When I close powerpoint the fan settles down.

Ron

January 23rd, 2005 17:00

Yeah, I have the same problem.  I have this cheapo ATI X300 SE, which doesn't even have a fan.  It's not the video card.  I'm gonna see if I can get the heatsink replaced.  I heard that usually does the trick.

19 Posts

January 24th, 2005 19:00

I wonder what you get on the CPU temp from Sandra Lite:
http://www.sisoftware.net/

I get 66 celcius just from the start, no applications running.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 24th, 2005 19:00

What I don't understand is if this is BIOS problem in 8400 series, as somebody suggested, why doesn't it happen to all 8400s? Mine (BIOS A03) is fairly quiet except when the video card fan revs up.

Has anybody with noisy fan run Dell diagnostics on memory. I vaguely remember someone posting that noisy fan problem turned out to be bad memory module and replacement cured the noise.

Ron

19 Posts

January 25th, 2005 15:00

Hi Nadalife,

that is CPU&BIOS info, device CPU and then advanced settings. (control temp)
Should be available on 8400 but not on all Dell PC (for instance GX270 optiplex does not show it).

BTW I got a new FAN today, but as I told support before it does not solve my problem. Probably going for the heatsink and/or CPU now, to be continued...

20 Posts

January 25th, 2005 15:00

hey nicos,

where within the sandra lite program did you get the cpu temp reading for the 8400.

10 Posts

January 26th, 2005 01:00

@RoHe wrote:
What I don't understand is if this is BIOS problem in 8400 series, as somebody suggested, why doesn't it happen to all 8400s? Mine (BIOS A03) is fairly quiet except when the video card fan revs up.

Has anybody with noisy fan run Dell diagnostics on memory. I vaguely remember someone posting that noisy fan problem turned out to be bad memory module and replacement cured the noise.

Ron

When I had my original 8400 that had the "hyperspeed" fan, Dell Support made me run the full diganostics and there were no error flags for anything. As I stated when this first occurred back in December and others have detailed, the only time the fan would slow down would be during the specific fan diagnostic and once that was finished, it would go back into warp speed.

The thing that surprises me is that Dell has made so many other people replace parts as opposed to my case where they didn't even bother and ordered a simple full system swap. Thankfully, my replacement has been very quiet (knock on wood).
No Events found!