AnubisX2005
1 Copper

Re: My eternal dim 8400 fan debacle noise oh noise

Yeah, I have the same problem.  I have this cheapo ATI X300 SE, which doesn't even have a fan.  It's not the video card.  I'm gonna see if I can get the heatsink replaced.  I heard that usually does the trick.
0 Kudos
NicoS
1 Nickel

I wonder what you get on the CPU temp from Sandra Lite:
http://www.sisoftware.net/

I get 66 celcius just from the start, no applications running.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RoHe
6 Indium

What I don't understand is if this is BIOS problem in 8400 series, as somebody suggested, why doesn't it happen to all 8400s? Mine (BIOS A03) is fairly quiet except when the video card fan revs up.

Has anybody with noisy fan run Dell diagnostics on memory. I vaguely remember someone posting that noisy fan problem turned out to be bad memory module and replacement cured the noise.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
nadalife
1 Nickel

hey nicos,

where within the sandra lite program did you get the cpu temp reading for the 8400.

0 Kudos
NicoS
1 Nickel

Hi Nadalife,

that is CPU&BIOS info, device CPU and then advanced settings. (control temp)
Should be available on 8400 but not on all Dell PC (for instance GX270 optiplex does not show it).

BTW I got a new FAN today, but as I told support before it does not solve my problem. Probably going for the heatsink and/or CPU now, to be continued...
0 Kudos
Katonk
1 Nickel

@RoHe wrote:
What I don't understand is if this is BIOS problem in 8400 series, as somebody suggested, why doesn't it happen to all 8400s? Mine (BIOS A03) is fairly quiet except when the video card fan revs up.

Has anybody with noisy fan run Dell diagnostics on memory. I vaguely remember someone posting that noisy fan problem turned out to be bad memory module and replacement cured the noise.

Ron

When I had my original 8400 that had the "hyperspeed" fan, Dell Support made me run the full diganostics and there were no error flags for anything. As I stated when this first occurred back in December and others have detailed, the only time the fan would slow down would be during the specific fan diagnostic and once that was finished, it would go back into warp speed.

The thing that surprises me is that Dell has made so many other people replace parts as opposed to my case where they didn't even bother and ordered a simple full system swap. Thankfully, my replacement has been very quiet (knock on wood).
0 Kudos
NicoS
1 Nickel

Dell support is not very consistent in what they know, advise or do around the globe. Despite my advise they offered to replace the FAN, which does not work. Now they will send me a replacement heat sink, but it would not surprise me if lots of these sinks are not properly installed.

I am sure this will be fixed eventually, but dealing with Dell support has shown an exercise in testing your patience. The exact thing you describe (fan only slows down in FAN diagnostic) is exactly what I experience.

Have seen lots of postings around here, and the learning curve & feedback to support is probably very slow :-(
0 Kudos
NicoS
1 Nickel

On request of Dell support I ran Sandra LT, which gave me 66 at " control temp". However I wonder if this tool actually works with any Dell at all:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12158281~mode=flat~start=60

The support person I gave the information to has not responded yet to me. They have send me 2 ? FAN's so far, now they send me a heatsink but dont think it will solve my problem.
0 Kudos
nadalife
1 Nickel

hi nicos

im getting a reading of 68.0 degrees celcius. but since this never seems to change i doubt that it is a valid reading from the thermal sensor. i have been trying for some time now to find a program that can read the thermal sensor on the 8400 motherboard but they all fail.

also i have had my fan changed 3 times and this has done nothing. having my motherboard changed did reduce the noise from my fan but has not in anyway solved it. i live in ireland so this i a global problem it would appear.we also have to rely on the indian tech support Smiley Happy.

what i would advise is to use a better thermal interface material than what dell uses, there thermal paste comes pre applied to the underneath of the heatsink ( all technicans i have had did not clean off the old paste before adding new heatsink ------this can cause more thermal resistance between the cpu and heatsink causing the cpu core to heat up more because there is too much paste there--so make them do it) .try something like artic silver 5 thermal paste and use isopropyll alcohol to clean off the old paste beforehand.

0 Kudos
BMWBOB
1 Nickel

I read in another thread someone tried the thermal paste and it didn't help.
0 Kudos