Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2011 03:00

Mystery... Sound issue - not a plug missing....

Dear all,

If anyone can solve this mystery it would be much appreciated

I have recently bought an XPS 8100. Curse the day i did so. Its a core intel i7 cpu, 2.8ghz,  64 bit with 8 mega bit of ram. I have windows 7

In summary, the sound disappears and then never returns. This seems to have happened when i adedd some software (i.e. i think it could be the printer i uplodaded HP photosmart series or Itunes) but basically the sound just goes.  Or maybe when there is an windows update, or something similar. One day its working fine, and the suddenly no more (and once it goes, its gone. no way of bringing it back unless i basically reinstall everything as when released from factory, and then it works). My sound card is Creative XB Xfi

All sound tests work out and diagnotistics does not identify any problems. I try to restore to previous 'windows'versions, but now this is also  not working.

Frankly put, i am completely fed up of everytime having to reinstall everything because my sound disappers. Calling help is just a waste as they tell me to check plugs and cables.....

I'm sure this is not a hardware failure per se - it seems a software failure. For some reason when i click on my music files a little red cross comes up and says Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file."

Community - i'm this close to throwing this piece of junk out of the window. As entertianing as this would be, i would be grateful for any help

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 27th, 2011 04:00

Since you have a separate sound card, the first thing to check is to enter the Setup (F2 at power on) and verify the Integrated audio (on the motherboard) is disabled.  If it's enabled it can cause sound conflicts and cause the SoundBlaster not to work.

The second thing, if you have a Video card with HDMI on it, some Video cards will want to set themselves as the default audio playback device and thus there will not be any sound.  Check the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and finally the Sound panel.  In the playback, make sure your "Speakers" are set as the default playback device.

There have been problems with the SoundBlaster Xfi cards (not just with Dell but with all brands of PC's) and some have even removed the SoundBlaster sound card and started using the on-board (Integrated) audio because of the hassles. This is another option to consider or at least try.

Finally, if you have iTunes it has been know to cause various problems, in some systems (again it's iTunes and not the Dell as other brand PC's have also reported problems).

5 Posts

March 27th, 2011 14:00

firebeard - thanks a lot. may not work but appreciate the help

glad to hear there is some potential issue - if need be will rip out the sound card.... better than throwing the xps out ;-)

will let you know how i get on! thanks

5 Posts

March 31st, 2011 13:00

cheers ron - that sounds like worth a shot definately

for the record - there is aboslutely no sound from anything. it just seems to have gone....

i'll try my luck with downloading a new driver and will let you know how i get on!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Me again...  I found this on a list of Tech Resources that's available to certain forum regulars. It sounds like your problem:

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card may experience no sound.

Error: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device" may be noticed when trying to play an audio file in Windows Media Player.

Solution :
 Depending on the system model, download and install the latest Windows 7 audio drivers from Dell Support. 
 Click the "Enter Service Tag" to find the driver, then click "GO". Alternatively, click on "Select Model", select the appropriate 'Product Type' and 'Product Model', then click "Confirm".

So you may need to update the audio driver before doing anything else. :emotion-15: 

Otherwise, let me know when you're ready to toss it out the window so I can catch it and give it a good home.  :emotion-4:

Ron

EDIT: Sorry - don't know what happened! Hopefully I fixed it.

5 Posts

No luck

Checked F2 and its disabled. I then went to sound and as you thought, speakers was not selected -  so i made them the default device. Still no noise

I'm not to hot on the DIY so i think opening the PC and identifying the sound card will be a bit of a challenge (and jeoperdise my warranty).

I restored my PC to a previous version where itunes was not installed and still nothing.

Does anyone have any other ideas / solutions or should i should call the warranty guys? If i do - can anyone suggest what to say so i don't waste 4 hours with them changing sound card or checking plugs..... last time they came over they had no clue whatsover

any help would be appreciated

cheers

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Are you sure it's not a Windows Media Player issue? Have you tried any other player, eg iTunes (Yes, I know you uninstalled iTunes.). Grab some freeware off the net and see if any of them will play your media files.  Or uninstall Media Player and reinstall it.

And is it always the same file that won't play? Is it all sound file types? Can you play a music CD (not a ripped version of a CD)?

You might uninstall the audio driver in Device Manager, reboot, and reinstall a fresh download of the latest compatible audio driver. Don't install the new one 'on top' of the old one.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 31st, 2011 15:00

cheers - gracias

You're such a linguist!  

I still want you to toss it so I can take it home. :emotion-11:

Ron

5 Posts

April 2nd, 2011 01:00

OK - i give up

Did not work. i don't think its the right issue as i'm not upgrading to windows 7 - my computer was delivered with windows 7. The error message from the media file is also shorter than the one the forum refers to

When i tried downloading the audio files anyway, and i trried to install the soundblaster xfi files, it stopped as it said it 'did not find the device on the computer'' - bizarre as it appears in the control pannel

Another thing worth mentioning is that this is the second "SAME'" computer i receive from Dell. The first one that was delivered had various issues, and i eventually got it replaced as it was damaged. But one of these issues was exactly the same as this one! Suddently, for no reason, no sounds with anyhting (windows start up, youtube, etc. you name it).

I have not uploaded old data, etc. - the only element which could affect the 2 computers in the same manner is the peripheral device i bought. HP photosmart series 101 - it must be something to do with this maybe and some update / conflict?

Anyway, i think its the end of the tunnel, and i will need to pass this onto the dell technical team - or maybe should i just erase myt whole computer and throw away the printer?!!!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2011 12:00

Well, it could be a bum audio card... You might try reseating it in its slot. Anyways power off, unplug and press/hold power button on tower before doing any work inside the case. :emotion-5:

Then try uninstalling the audio card in Device Manager and then reboot. Then see if you can install the fresh download of the latest driver.

If none of that helps, reboot from the Windows DVD and press F8 before Windows starts to load. Choose the "repair my computer" option from the menu and follow the prompts to run a Repair. And if you're lucky...

Unless it's a bum card, Dell Tech Support is probably going to tell you to reinstall Windows...

Ron

No Events found!