Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 09:00

NEW.. Any and all concerns about the new XPS 435/8000/9000

Please feel free to post any concerns, problems, delivery delays etc.

7 Posts

December 1st, 2009 00:00

I ordered my XPS 9000 on 10/25/09 and received it on 11/18/09 and I thought that was slow considering my previous Dell 8200 and 8300 desktops were received within 7 working days.

Only problems so far: 

The Nvidia GT220 driver 8.15.11.8627 blacks out for a moment sometimes.  I've upgraded to the latest 1.9107 driver but that messed up the Window's Live Photo gallery's zoom and pan slideshows (stutters) so I'm back to the original video driver for now.

Two of the top access USB ports don't seem to recognize my external hard drives.  The top headphone jack cuts off intermittently even when securely plugged in.

Start up/shut off time (to conserve energy) has improved noticeably to 85s/6s compared to my old Dell desktops with XP.

So far, so good. 

Good luck to folks still waiting on their orders!

7 Posts

December 1st, 2009 14:00

An update for my order:

Order date 11/7

First EDD 11/25

Second EDD (Delayed) 12/4

Third EDD 12/5

Shipped 12/1

This was the build for those intersted:

Quantity Item Description
1 Studio XPS 8000
1 Studio XPS 8000, Intel® Core™ i7-870 processor(8MB Cache, 2.93GHz)
1 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 4 DIMMs
1 Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
1 20" Dell ST2010-Black High Definition Monitor
1 nVidia GeForce GTX260 1792MB GDDR3
1 1.5TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
1 Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English
1 Dell Studio Optical Mouse
1 Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
1 Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD)
1 Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
1 No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
1 Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007
1 McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
1 2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
1 Napster Link
1 Adobe® Photoshop® Elements + Adobe® Premiere® Elements

445 Posts

December 1st, 2009 19:00

Awhile back there was some talk about the 435T/9000 computer and what UPS could be used. There were several saying the UPS had to be a true sine wave UPS which could cost two or three hundred dollars. I still have a very cheap Dynex UPS I bought from BB back in my HP and Windows XP days. I have the 435T, a Samsung 23 inch monitor, a Linksys Modem and wireless router hooked up to the battery side. I just had my first power outage since getting the 435T computer and the UPS  held everything up just fine without a burp. It gave me plenty of time to get everything saved and the computer shut down. The Dynex site says my UPS unit is simulated sine wave which I  paid $79.00 for so the true sine wave thing is not true.  If anyone else has read that article I would unplug your UPS from power and see if it holds before going out and spending the extra money.

Wayne

8 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 09:00

Well, in positive news my order was not delayed at 3am again this morning like in weeks past. I can only hope that means they will actually ship my order this week. :fingers crossed: I'm excited because other then the sound jack issue it seems the XPS is relatively problem free.

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 06:00

Recently we purchased a Studio XPS 9000 system. After getting the computer and finding a couple of problems with it, research led me to a few sites that list some of the problems mentioned here. Mainly the power supply having a high pitched whine when the system is completely powered off and the front headphone jacks having crosstalk / bleed through from the system. Anytime you scroll or move windows, the hard drive is being accessed (downloading for example) or you do just about anything, there is noise in the headphones. This noise can also be heard through the sound bar as well so it is not just a headphone related problem. Very annoying for anyone who intends to do any online gaming and VoIP.  This issue is not present with the rear audio ports however, only the top front.

We sent the first system back for a full refund and purchased another instead of having to deal with refurbished parts and a tech. coming to the home again. After waiting a month for the first system it was not much fun waiting for a second one to replace it, however it showed up in about 3 weeks not 4 I think. Instead of those problems being unique to the first system, I also found them present in the second system. There seems to be a design flaw with this system since these problems are affecting a great many users, most of whom I can only assume do not post about it and might not even be aware of the issue.

I did call Dell XPS tech support and after going over the issue suggested that they send out replacement wires to connect the motherboard to those headphone jacks and that they be better shielded then what shipped with the system. I also brought up the power supply and asked for a different one of comparable wattage to be shipped out to resolve these two issues. The tech had no problems in having this done and shipped out the parts to be installed.

Hopefully the parts being installed are actually superior quality to what was already installed and this will solve these problems. I really do not want to have to return this system like the first one. It really shocks me however that Dell even ships systems with problems like this that go back so far. This was the fourth mention I found of these problems using Google and they date back many years, not just on the XPS 9000 system.

By the way, the system still draws power even when completely powered down as I noticed a Bluetooth earpiece that charges from a USB cable was still receiving power. When I turn off a computer, I would expect it to actually be OFF. Very bad choice for a power supply Dell. Please do better in the future, your customers expect a little more from a company with your reputation... unless this is to become your reputation and what you are known for.

Someone will be here possibly today to install the parts and I will update this after for those interested in finding out if there was any resolution for these two issues.

December 3rd, 2009 06:00

I ordered my xps 8000 last night, and am anxiously awaiting the bing.com cashback confirmation for 20% back.  Today it's back down to 5%, as yesterday was the last day for 20%.  So far the delivery date is set to the 22nd, which is about 2.5 weeks.  Maybe the holiday rush will help.

The Sound Blaster card might be the issue with the headphone jack - I wonder if the integrated sound is the better option?  Maybe I can have Dell change it in the configuration before they build it.  Also my laser mouse got changed to optical, for some reason. 

From all that I've read, this is going to be a really insanely fast beast of a machine.  I read a review that the XPS with the GTX260 only ran up to 250W when they pushed it, so the 250W power supply should be more than enough, even though Nvidia recommends at least a 500W power supply for that card.  I ordered the GTX260 because even though the 220 is probably fine, it's got really bad reviews.  I want a graphics card that is going to be able to still handle newer games in a couple of years.

1 Message

December 3rd, 2009 07:00

Well I guess dell is still having production issues. I ordered my xps 8000 on 11/17/09, original ESD 12/8/09. Not to bad I thought! Plus the sales agent Ispoke to said that most likely I will see it before the ESD. After ordering I saw all the comments about shipping delays which had me worried as this computer is a christmas gift for my wife. Well I checked my order status this morning and what a surprise, my ESD was pushed backed to 12/15/09. So like everyone else I call the non english speaking customer service to find out what is going on here. After asking the guy to repeat himself 100 times, all I got was the same run around that production is backed up due to high demand for the xps 8000 and 9000. When I expressed my concerns about getting the computer before christmas, the answer I got was they are doing everything to fullfill there orders. I got a bad felling that my wife will be one gift short this year for christmas. THANKS DELL! Funny thing is that when I go on the web site and build the same computer, I get an ESD of 12/12/09. Talk about the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing! Well I guess I just have to wait till the 15th so I could get another updated ESD of god knows when. Such a shame too, Dell offers a great computer at a great cost but can not deliver when promised! And for those who are wondering here is what I ordered, My guess is that the processor is holding up the build, but who knows, dell couldn't give me a straight answer!

1 224-6177 Studio XPS 8000
1 317-2644 Studio XPS 8000, Intel Core i7-860 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
1 317-1680 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz-2X2GB/2x1GB
1 330-3828 Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard, US
1 320-7810 No Monitor
1 320-0839 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350
1 341-0262 500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive 7200 RPM
1 330-4490 Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup
1 420-6576 DELL WELCOME,Software Dimension/Inspiron
1 420-8873 Dell Dock Consumer
1 420-6436 PC-Restore, Dim/Insp
1 421-0323 Windows Live Search,Multiple User Interface
1 463-2282 Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access
1 330-6097 You have chosen a Windows 7 System
1 421-0092 DELL-DOWNLOAD-FLAG
1 421-1603 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
1 330-3826 Dell Studio USB Optical Mouse
1 410-1867 ADOBE READER 9.0 MULTI- LANGUAGE
1 313-8760 16X DVD+/-RW
1 313-8757 Roxio 10.3, Easy CD & DVD
1 421-1412 Cyberlink Power DVD 8.3 Playback
1 313-7186 Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
1 313-6138 No Speaker Requested
1 410-2154 McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware firewall, 36-months
1 420-7770 MS Workplus 2008
1 950-3337 1 Year Limited Warranty
1 903-6497 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus In-Home Service [after Remote Diagnosis], Initial Year
1 904-6080 Next Business Day In-home Service after Remote Diagnosis, Initial Year
1 950-9797 No Warranty, Year 2 and 3
1 420-8878 Software, Soft Contracts Dell In-Home
1 960-8700 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty 7X24 Technical Support, Initial Year
1 988-7707 2GB DATASAFE ONLINE 1.1 FOR SDO/DIM/INS/XPS
1 420-9518 DATASAFE ONLINE 1.1 2GB
1 988-0099 To activate your online backupaccount, go to Start, Programs, DataSafe Online
1 330-0172 S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom forDHS Desktops
1 421-1348 Dell Software,Napster-Link

6 Posts

I've had my 2 XPS 9000's now for a couple of weeks, and apart from the headphone jack issue and power supply whine, they are excellent systems. I just plug my headphones into the back of the computer and solves the noise issue and the power supply thing, well I just flip off my power strip when the computers are off. No need to pay extra for electricity I'm not using.

The GTX 260 is indeed very fast. I've played Left for Dead 2, Dragon Age and Crysis all with really high settings and still get great fps.

I'm using both systems in tandem, connected via gigabit as a mini render farm with Maya - both systems register as 16 CPU's in Maya Satellite. So rendering is a breeze. To put it in perspective, a class assignment I was working on had other students taking an hour plus to render on the school PC's where I could knock out the same in about a minute. No kidding either.

Windows 7 works fantastic on these PC's too. Way faster than Vista.

Despite my negative feelings about Dell's Customer service, be patient, it is the holiday season after all...I hope everyone gets their shipments soon :)

445 Posts

My computer has Integrated sound and still makes the noise from the front headphone jack, but not the rear one. It appears to be a design flaw from poor shielding or grounding.:emotion-6:

27 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 08:00

I ordered the same exact setup on 11/19 with an original estimated date of deliver of 12/08.. I called on Nov. 30th and asked about status and was told that no delays should be expected and I should see the computer before the 8th.. On Dec. 3, I receive an email saying my order has been delayed with a new ESD of 12/15..  I called and "tried" to get more information about why the delay but the operator just kept saying the same thing over and over, no matter what I asked.. Very very bad customer service from a company that has been selling computers for such a long time.. No wonder their profits are down.. I too was hoping to give this as a gift (to myself) but for some strange reason, I really don't expect to see it till after the New Year...

Just of out curiosity and if I had the money, I'd like to order two of the same exact systems, one just using the Dell website and one using a link to a discounted deal and see which one comes first.. I bet money that the one from the Dell website will come first since it's almost always the more expensive build of the two..

16 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 09:00

Anyone find a fix for the Nvidia card GT220 blacking out?  Mine does it everytime I go to print preview.  I have an XPS 8000.

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 18:00

Bad news. Dell sent the wrong audio IO cable leading up to the front ports. So we were not able to replace them. They also sent the exact same power supply, so even though it was replaced, it still has the high pitched squeal when its "OFF". Keep your power strip handy if you really want to power the system completely off without a whine. As for the audio cable issue.. I am using the audio chipset built into the motherboard, not an add in audio card. So bottom line, no solution yet and I will be calling Dell to talk about a full refund on this system as well just like the first one. My better half has a Studio 540 and does NOT have these audio issues or power supply issues, it runs with a GeForce 240 1gb Video card (even though the power supply is 350watt or about that and the card requires a 450 watt). As much as I hate that case, I am starting to think that might be the way to go instead of this 435/9000 case. I can not even play WOW without hearing this static/feedback/chipping crosstalk noise through my headphones (or speakers if I plug them into the front). Very annoying because I am trying to use Ventrilo for my VoIP while gaming and I keep my game sounds off or low so all I hear is this terrible noise. Even if I play the game sounds, it is still there and does not let up.

From what I have learned talking to electronic engineers and similar, reading on the web.. this is caused by one of two things. Bad shielding on the cable (about 1-1.5 feet long inside the case) leading to the jacks, or it is the PCI bus because anytime graphics are used, hard drive is accessed, etc.. the noise is heard.  It was suggested that I got an electronic supply store, buy some shielding (the kind that is like a finger trap) that can be slid over the cable and then soldered to a ground via a wire also soldered to the shielding. Dell of course does not actually offer ANY other cables except the ONE that works with this system, and as you can guess it is not shielded worth a ####. So unless you feel like trying to pay extra and do some tinkering and risk messing up stuff, you are kinda stuck with a system that does not do what you bought it for (ie. work properly).  Dell is trying to tell me that they will not be able to send me an internal sound card because it did not ship with this system, but unless they make this right this system will be going back to them. I did not spend this much money to buy a defective system from a company that is not willing to solve its design problems. The FACT that they keep shipping these systems without addressing the problems just to make some money hoping most people have bad hearing, wont use headphones or dont notice.. is not what I consider good business.

So no resolution/solution yet, but I will keep you all updated. Wish me luck in finding someone who works for Dell that actually cares if their customers are happy with their products.

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 20:00

Just received mine and am still getting familiar with it.  One concern is that the Blue Ray player / Power DVD DX is glitchy and keeps stuttering.  Maybe the software is bad. The rest of the system seems solid and speedy.

8 Posts

December 4th, 2009 09:00

Well my order was pushed back again, but only by 1 day! It's now 12/8 instead of 12/7 so hopefully that means it will go out today (2nd business day shipping) and get here on Tuesday. Let's hope they don't screw this up again

8 Posts

December 5th, 2009 14:00

Enjoy your Dell's. I was informed that my computer won't ship out until 12/22?!?! Dell, you are the single worst company I've ever had to deal with. Your customer service is atrocious and it seems like you have just completely lost any sense of customer retention.

In other words, I hope you go out of business. Just awful. Now give me my money back.

I'll be buying a different system next week and I guarantee it shows up faster. Idiots.

No Events found!