Re: NEW XPS 730x Owner's thread March 15, 2010

OK, i'll try again! - post decided to submit itself!

Thanks for your reply to my request for a part number for my XPS 730x

Great! - or so I thought.........

I typed in WN816 into ebay and what came up is the I/O Panel LED assembly. :-(

This is not the part I require........I require the metal plate itself! - you know, the same metal plate you get when you purchase a aftermarket motherboard.

If we didn't get these plates there would be a 'void' around the ports at the back!

I have been intouch with www.upgrade.co.uk and they don't seem to know what I'm talking about either, so I guess I'm not using the correct reference, perhaps you could enlighten me (as a PC technician) what the exact term is for:

A pressed steel plate, approx 6.5" length x 2" height with cut outs for the USB, PS/2, Ethernet, E-SATA and SPDIF ports......

I was always under the impression this was called a I/O shield, but maybe I'm wrong.

If somebody else knows exactly what it's called and can give me the part number it would be greatly appreciated, as I have been pulling my hair out trying to describe a component which is found in every PC on the planet!

Regards

Andy

System1: M18x, 2630QM, 8GB, Dual 6990M, Vertex 4 256GB, 500GB Momentus XT, Nebula Red

System2: Area 51, Silver, 12GB HyperX 1600Mhz, 980x CPU, GTX 480, Vertex 2E 120GB

System3: XPS 730x, i7 965, 12GB 1333MHz, dual GTX 280, 750GB, Navy Blue

0 Kudos
twil01
1 Copper

Thanks for this response.  just a couple of points to this:
- I have the absolutely latest NIS with scans running every day
- I have another windows installation that does not crash at all...the difference to the one that crashes is that it is installed on a RAID 0 configuration, which is why I believe this is actually RAID controller related
- I do not install anything until I have actually tried it in my test installation (I have learned from past experiences).  Having said that, I did not actually install anything around the time the system started crashing...unfortunately or I could at least point to that
- finally the event log unfortunately only captures a critical problem in that the system unexpectedly stopped or crashed.  That is, no information is available, neither on my system nor online...again unfortunately

I will have to take your suggestion to heart and run diag in repeat mode to try to get an error.  I have not done a disk surface scan yet, but will probably do that next as well.

The only thing I have not done is a fresh windows install, which I may also do in the process to see before reverting back to the one I am using.

thanks again...

0 Kudos
slyphnier
2 Iron

Chris,

just want to know, do XPS730 mobo set CPU fan to automatically adjust it fan speed ? since i didnt see any fan controller in bios

and if possible i also want to know its parameter (minimum temp and maximum temp)

not that i worried, but as far i use my XPS730 for about 1 year, the cpu fan keep on its lowest speed 1700rpm

i wonder if that normal or not

is there any tools to set fan speed from auto to manual (like many pc mobos have on their bioses) ?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
darkinfero
1 Nickel

I was wondering if you guys will have a BIOS upgrade for people who want to drop in a Core I7 980X

I know Someone ask this in the perivous thread.

I know alot of owners want 6 cores.

I don't want to feel like I throw my money away.

And I can't upgrade past a 975.

0 Kudos
bob42701
1 Nickel

Wanting to upgrade my memory on my new 730x.

From what I've read, these should work but wanted to make sure.

Anyone, especially you Chris (lol), know if these will work for sure?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145253

Was looking at these 7-7-7-20 instead of the 8-8-8-24's.

Am I correct in assuming the 7-7-7-20's are faster than the 8-8-8-24's?

Thanks,

Robert

Update: I ordered the memory and it works, however, I need to know what settings to use in the bios to get them to run at 7-7-7-20.
If anyone knows, please help.

Update #2: Here's what I found out...the TR3X6G1600C7D (7-7-7-20) will run in the XPS 730x, but the max you will get is..8-7-7-22. I called Corsair this morning and they said it was no problem running them like that because they are actually running a bit slower than the 7-7-7-20 rating they have and that they are running faster than the 8-8-8-24 rating of the TR3X6G1600C8D set. Also, they are about the same price so I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of returning and ordering the other set.

0 Kudos
bob42701
1 Nickel

Question #2....

I want to set all the leds to one color, lets say Red, and have them stay at that color without running any software running in the background?

I can set the color to red using alienfx and they will stay red even when I do a restart, but if i shutdown (power down) and power back on, they reset.

i like to keep my programs running in the background to an absolute minimum in order to maximize performance.

Thanks,

Robert

Update....nevermind....I solved my problem by using the nvidia tools program.

0 Kudos
jslynch78
1 Nickel

The Forceware 196.75 drivers killed my GTX280 card. There was a problem where the drivers were causing the fans to stop and  Nvidia has recalled the drivers and is telling everyone to contact the supplier of the card for replacement. I have contacted Dell Custoner support but am getting nowhere with them. Can someone please help me out?

0 Kudos
bob42701
1 Nickel

Any chance of getting a bios update so our 730x's will run/support the timing settings of the Corsair TR3X6G1600C7D (7-7-7-20). I have that set in mine and it runs, but it will only run at 8-7-7-22. According to your post in the 730x post...the 730x will run/support the TR3X6G1600C8D (8-8-8-24). So hopefully a bios update to support the 7-7-7-20 timings would be an easy thing to do.

I will beg and plead if it helps, maybe even wash your car....lol

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
Virtue
1 Nickel

And while you're at it, also fix the Standby/S3 Sleep problem (in the bios).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
trust1996
1 Copper

Hi,

After installing the Dell AlienFX in my 730x, I con't create the advanced theme, the message is:

There are important settings missing in the application in order to complete the creation of a new theme. The only functionality you have available is opening an existing theme.\r\n Please reinstall the Alienware AlienFX software.

only can modify the theme in basic mode ( including the XP/Vista/Vista64/Windows7), and I try to install the AlienFX version 1.0.36v2 A04 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> , the problem is same.

Can anybody give me an advanced theme file, let me to test see if I can modify in advanced mode?

Thank you  in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos