Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 15th, 2010 09:00

NEW XPS 730x Owner's thread March 15, 2010

Started new one.

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

9 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 09:00

The Forceware 196.75 drivers killed my GTX280 card. There was a problem where the drivers were causing the fans to stop and  Nvidia has recalled the drivers and is telling everyone to contact the supplier of the card for replacement. I have contacted Dell Custoner support but am getting nowhere with them. Can someone please help me out?

20 Posts

March 24th, 2010 10:00

Any chance of getting a bios update so our 730x's will run/support the timing settings of the Corsair TR3X6G1600C7D (7-7-7-20). I have that set in mine and it runs, but it will only run at 8-7-7-22. According to your post in the 730x post...the 730x will run/support the TR3X6G1600C8D (8-8-8-24). So hopefully a bios update to support the 7-7-7-20 timings would be an easy thing to do.

I will beg and plead if it helps, maybe even wash your car....lol

Thanks,

Robert

51 Posts

March 24th, 2010 13:00

And while you're at it, also fix the Standby/S3 Sleep problem (in the bios).

3 Posts

April 14th, 2010 10:00

Hi,

After installing the Dell AlienFX in my 730x, I con't create the advanced theme, the message is:

There are important settings missing in the application in order to complete the creation of a new theme. The only functionality you have available is opening an existing theme.\r\n Please reinstall the Alienware AlienFX software.

only can modify the theme in basic mode ( including the XP/Vista/Vista64/Windows7), and I try to install the AlienFX version 1.0.36v2 A04   , the problem is same.

Can anybody give me an advanced theme file, let me to test see if I can modify in advanced mode?

Thank you  in advance!

10 Posts

April 17th, 2010 12:00

Hello everybody,

I have a couple of questions:

1)What kind of PSU does the 730x use? How much power can it provide?
2)What kind of mobo does the system use?

Thanks in advance

650 Posts

April 20th, 2010 11:00

Hello everybody,

I have a couple of questions:

1)What kind of PSU does the 730x use? How much power can it provide?
2)What kind of mobo does the system use?

Thanks in advance

The PSU in the 730x is a 1000w PSU and it's 80+ certified. The motherboard is an X58 chipset which accommodates the Core i7 CPU.

10 Posts

April 20th, 2010 15:00

Thanks for the reply phenom! It has been very  tough for me to find somebody who has good knowledge on the 730x!

1) I have a couple more questions, I plan on overclocking my i7 920 CPU on my 730x from 2.66 --> 3.2 GHz. However my system is air cooled. My current idle temps are low 30's and 100% max load temperatures are mid 60's. Is air cooling sufficient for this overclock? What temperatures do you think I would be looking at?

2) My VCore is currently at 1.264 volts. Lets say I overclock to 3.0GHz (150 BCLK x 20 = 3.0Ghz). What should I set my voltage offset to? +20mv or +40mv or leave the Vcore are its current value?

3) Lastly, I would like to install the Corsair Dominator 6GB PC12800 1600Mhz (model number TR3X6G1600C8D). I know that the 730x will recognize it, but will it underclock it to 1066Mhz? Has this issue been adressed in the latest BIOS updates?

I hope I don't annoy you with all these questions, it's tough to find good reliable info on overclocking the 730x!

650 Posts

April 22nd, 2010 14:00

1) I have a couple more questions, I plan on overclocking my i7 920 CPU on my 730x from 2.66 --> 3.2 GHz. However my system is air cooled. My current idle temps are low 30's and 100% max load temperatures are mid 60's. Is air cooling sufficient for this overclock? What temperatures do you think I would be looking at?

I had mine overclocked at the same speed and while gaming, I never saw my CPU temp climb above 50c. However, I keep my apartment at or below 70F at all times and I have my PC elevated up off the floor.

2) My VCore is currently at 1.264 volts. Lets say I overclock to 3.0GHz (150 BCLK x 20 = 3.0Ghz). What should I set my voltage offset to? +20mv or +40mv or leave the Vcore are its current value?

ALWAYS increase your voltage in small increments. If the system hangs after increasing it to +20mv then increase it to +40mv but you shouldn't need to do that because to my recollection, I only used +20mv.

3) Lastly, I would like to install the Corsair Dominator 6GB PC12800 1600Mhz (model number TR3X6G1600C8D). I know that the 730x will recognize it, but will it underclock it to 1066Mhz? Has this issue been adressed in the latest BIOS updates?

Yes, the system will underclock the memory. One way to remedy this is by installing a Core i7-965 or higher CPU because the Core i7-920 won't allow you to adjust the memory ratio and the ratio remain on the setting you chose.

The only other way is to increase your memory speed is to lower your CPU multiplier to 16 and increase your BClk to 200. Set your memory ratio to 8 and then your CPU will be running at 3.2GHz and your memory will be running at 1600MHz. Don't EVER increase your memory voltage higher than 1.65v or you will FRY your CPU.

I hope I don't annoy you with all these questions, it's tough to find good reliable info on overclocking the 730x!

No prob man. That's what I'm here for.

1 Message

April 23rd, 2010 08:00

Having pre boot issues with 730x single 300g Rapter

looking to replace with (Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5)

current vista 64

60% of drive used

go ahead or stay away

note dont worry Warrenty ran out dec of 09

10 Posts

April 23rd, 2010 10:00

Hello,

I'm have a little more detailed questions here,

1) I just realised that my memory multiplier can be chaned to { 6 , 8 ,10 , 12}. If I'm going to OC to 3.0Ghz, my BCLK is going to be set for 150. Can I change my memory multiplier to 12 and have   150 x 12 = 1800Mhz Ram. Would the Corsair Dominator kit (TR3X6G1600C8D) be able to support this? It's not that I want to have it run at 1800Mhz, but its just that the 10x multiplier would give me 1500Mhz.

2)  I read on http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking_2.html  this page that the  [Uncore multiplier] should be at least twice as high as the [Memory multiplier]. If I raise my memory multiplier when installing the dominator kit, should I be worried about the Uncore multiplier?

3)Will I need to change any other settings such as the "QPI frequency" , PCI/PCI - E frequencies. Or offset the QPI and Uncore voltage?

313 Posts

May 3rd, 2010 08:00

Hi guys,

Just noticed, that when i put my computer into sleep mode it 'awakes itself' after about 5 minutes. Is there any reason why this happens?

Thanks

hbk123

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2010 19:00

(1) Disconnect from the network jack. Put it to sleep. Does it wakeup?

(2) List every peripheral plugged into the PC

24 Posts

May 5th, 2010 05:00

Hi all, I have had my 730x for over a year now and it's still going strong.  Win7 x64 is running great on it.  I just wanted to ask if anyone is using an SSD in their 730x and if you had any problems with setting up the drive?  I have an SSD coming in and I from what I have read the configuration can be a little different on some motherboards for setting it correctly for ACHI.  I had planned on leaving my RAID 0 array for storage and the SSD would be SATA Port 0 but I wasn't sure if this would cause any problems with the SSD not being a RAID setup.

Thanks for the help.

650 Posts

May 5th, 2010 05:00

An SSD would prove to be faster in a RAID0 setup but it's plenty fast without putting it in RAID. Additionally, when you put drives in RAID, you're more likely to have data loss due to drive failure unless you opt for a RAID1 configuration.

You're much braver than I because I'm not touching the solid state drives for awhile. They've proven to be buggy and unreliable, not to mention the price per gigabyte is ridiculously high. The warranty is on the SSD's is pretty much worthless.

I'll stick with my VelociRaptors because they're backed by a 5-year warranty and fast enough for anything I will ever do.

24 Posts

May 5th, 2010 07:00

Yeah the SSDs are definitely a premium and especially if you just look at GB/$.  However, they are much more reliable if you stick to the companies that know what they are doing.  Definitely not the same comparison to a HD given the amount of time they have existed.  Intel and OCZ in particular are becoming a bit more reliable now and most offer very good warranties, normally 3-year warranties which is good enough for me.  You definitely don't need a large SSD though given that it's useless really to have anything on there other than your OS and Programs.  That was the real reason I was keeping my RAID array HD setup for storage of everything else I have.

The cost comparison to anything I could buy though to "improve performance" such as memory, cpu, and even a video card is dwarfed by the jump from even the VelociRaptors to almost any SSD even those that aren't of great quality such as those using JMicron controllers.

My main concern was really any issues with the X58 Motherboards in the 730x with operating properly with both a single SSD and also a RAID array setup of HDs.

Appreciate the reply and definitely hope I can report back once I get the SSD installed with only good news.

No Events found!