Where is our BIOS?????

0 Kudos

Re: NEW XPS 730x Owner's thread March 15, 2010

0 Kudos
Falcon777
1 Copper

Hi Chris,

I know this is not the correct forum for this, but I cannot find the answer I need anywhere here,  I have purchased a dell monitor 1907fpv and when I go to download drivers for it- the exe file is not in the zip.  I have tried many times and still the same result.  Any help you can provide?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Micrane
1 Copper

my h2c cooling system is leaking Smiley Sad. hopefully they'll come soon to replace it. I noticed that my h2c cooling system in my 730x i7 965 extreme edition has small tubes leading to the processor and other areas compared to images of the h2c shown on websites and every other image taken and posted on the web. the tubes on my h2c system look to a 1/4 inch wide. anyone esle notice that?

0 Kudos
Falcon777
1 Copper

Thank you for taking the time to write back to me about this, I really appreciate it.  I was able to get it to update by selecting an automatic update.  All is well now.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
LANCORP
2 Iron

Ever other REAL company which builds enthusiast ATX machines provide their customers with timely Bios update to adjust to the changing hardware environment in which these machines operate.

* End of Marketing Life means no work for hardware not sold at the time of sale.

What's sad, Chris, is that, OVERWHELMINGLY, Dell's XPS730X customers feel screwed.  They feel abandoned and left with a very expensive boat anchor (and a defective anchor at that) that Dell conveniently decided to prematurely "End it's Marketing Life" when they picked up Alienware.  Problems abound with the BIOS that would be easily fixed with an update (as Asus and other OEM's have already done for their customers who just bought cheap motherboards, not multi-thousand dollar high-end systems).  And, even you, Chris, fail to acknowledge this (publicly) and continue to spew the rhetoric that just infuritates those that have been abandoned.  Is it too much to ask for a system that is marketed as overclockable to actually work when overclocked?  Or to have a system that resumes from energy saving Sleep mode when overclocked?  I thought Dell was all about being GREEN???  Are those issues not part of Dell's commitment to it's customers when the 730x was being sold?

The fact is, Dell abruptly ending the XPS730X's life, and dropped support like a bad habit.  Why? Because it's flawed.  Flawed beyond repair?  It seems like it since Dell decided to just drop it.  

In any case, those who are smart are dumping their 730x's on ebay or elsewhere and getting something that actually works.  For myself, although I am bitter at Dell for how they are treating their 730x customers, I earn a living selling and supporting the Dell brand, and call me stupid, but I've made the switch to the Area-51 and can proudly say it is a work of art.  Very happy with that platform and it works well, just like the 730x should have, and how 730x owners who shelled out many thousands for their systems expected theirs to work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PH3N0M
3 Argentium

And, even you, Chris, fail to acknowledge this (publicly) and continue to spew the rhetoric that just infuritates those that have been abandoned.  Is it too much to ask for a system that is marketed as overclockable to actually work when overclocked?  Or to have a system that resumes from energy saving Sleep mode when overclocked?  I thought Dell was all about being GREEN???  Are those issues not part of Dell's commitment to it's customers when the 730x was being sold?

What you, and others, fail to realize here is that Chris is nothing more than tech support. He cannot force the engineers to deal with the BIOS issues. Not only that, but if he raises too much hades, it could put his career in jeopardy and nothing is worth losing your job over when there's nothing you can do about the problem.

BOTH of my machines are overclockable. I have had my 730x running at 3.80GHz with the stock Core i7-920 with C0 stepping, and with the idle temps staying around 40c with the load temps getting no higher than 70c.

The fact is, Dell abruptly ending the XPS730X's life, and dropped support like a bad habit.  Why? Because it's flawed.  Flawed beyond repair?  It seems like it since Dell decided to just drop it.  

Yes, there are some that were flawed but to saw they are flawed beyond repair is egregious. At the present time, I own both the XPS 730 and the XPS 730x and I have never had any of the issues that others have described on this forum. The only reason I am here is to assist others with their problems. 

The H2C setup was a great idea but it was poorly designed, however, because there isn't any way for the consumer to control the speed of the pump. Other than that, it works as it was intended. Concerning the BIOS issues, the only issue that I have is being unable to install the latest Intel CPU (980X) because it's incompatible due to needing a BIOS update to use the hexa-core CPUs..

In any case, those who are smart are dumping their 730x's on ebay or elsewhere and getting something that actually works.

As stated previously, BOTH of my machines are FLAWLESS in their performance and I am on my second XPS 730, but only because I sold the other one to purchase the 730x.

For myself, although I am bitter at Dell for how they are treating their 730x customers, I earn a living selling and supporting the Dell brand, and call me stupid, but I've made the switch to the Area-51 and can proudly say it is a work of art.  Very happy with that platform and it works well, just like the 730x should have, and how 730x owners who shelled out many thousands for their systems expected theirs to work.

I understand your being bitter, as I'm sure most of us here feel your pain in some sense. When people want top-notch support, they should know better than to trust DELL with their PC problems. If there's one thing DELL is known for, it's the shoddy support, with Chris being the only exception.

If you want a hardcore gaming PC, it makes more sense to look at a specialty PC manufacturer when buying a gaming computer. The only reason I purchased my machines is because I got each of them for $1000 or less.

For example, would you drive down to your local O'Reilly's or Autozone to purchase a motor to put in a stock car to be raced on the NASCAR circuit? No, you would seek out a garage whose specialty is building racing engines. The same can be said of DELL. The brand is known for its desktop machines, not for its gaming line. The gaming line would've succeeded if only they would've had some engineers who might've known something about building a gaming rig.

As it is, however, the XPS line was poorly planned/thought out and has ultimately failed because of the lack of support, leading to the demise of the DELL XPS line and the customers.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93963126733&ref=ts]Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK![/url]

XPS 730x H2C (aluminum clear coat chassis)

Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60ghz (soon-to-be a Core i7-975)
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
(4) - 300GB VelociRaptors with (3) in RAID0
Western Digital MyBook 1TB
(2) - XFX Black Edition GTX 285's in SLI
(2) - DVD/RW+CD/RW Drives
Creative X-FI Titanium sound card
Logitech G5 laser gaming mouse (blue)
Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
Logitech G35 headset
Dell 3008WFP-30" LCD @ 2560x1600
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
Mitchblack
1 Copper

My sentiments more or less mirror PH3NOM's. I have a 730 and 730X and they both do what I want. Regarding the 730X BIOS issues - I would really like to see Dell fix this.

I bought my first XPS back in the mid-late 90s and have bought for myself and have recommended to many others many Dell products over the years. I am discouraged that Dell would abandon those that invested much in a product that was pitched as cutting edge and upgradable and with top notch support. Shame on Dell for making an executive decision to value profit over customer service. Support for this product line was not even scaled back - it was abruptly cut off. Dell's position on this must be considered when contemplating a new purchase. After all these years, I personally would rather avoid buying another Dell product.

XPS owners comprise a very small piece of Dell's business. So, what do you expect from a large entity? Dell chose to chase the almighty buck instead of addressing the issues of a relatively small group of buyers with problem computers.

Now let's see if I can find a suitable replacement mother board with a working BIOS. Oh, and let's see what cooling solution I can find that really works. And the theater lighting, well, I'll have to work on this one... After all, it's a Dell!

Mitch

0 Kudos
maf2k8
1 Nickel

Hello....I own a Dell XPS 730x system ( i7 940 CPU ) and i am interested in pulling everything out and putting it into a different case ( smaller form factor ) 

I fell in love with the case when i bought the system last year but in my current setup and situation i really need something smaller. The 730x itself is awesome and i much rather not sell it and buy something different ( which i know could be easier ) 

I have a Air Cooled 730x so i think it will be much easier as opposed to the H2C models..

With that said..Can it be done and what will i need?

I have only built a PC once and this way years and years ago....so i have some knowledge but could also use a little help. 

So far i figure i need a....

Case

Motherboard

PSU

CPU heatsink and fan

I am REALLY interested in this Micro ATX case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133044

Will this work? will i run into any issues or problems? any help with this would be great....thanks! 

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

maf2k8

The XPS 730 motherboard will not fit into the Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BWS Micro ATX/mini ITX case.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos