Highlighted
lolvera007
Copper

NO HDMI output on new Studio XPS 8100

Need some help. Just bought a new Studio XPS 8100 with the I7 and ATI RADEON 5770 HD. I bought a new 23" vizio LED HDTV and tried to connect the PC to it via HDMI but am not getting a connection. I heard a sound when I disconnected the HDMI cable but all I get is a blue screen with no connection. Do I need to change something in the settings or update a driver. Any help would be great. Thanks. NOTE: this tv has no dvi so HDMI would be perfect for me...

0 Kudos
30 Replies
fishnbanjo
Cobalt

Re: NO HDMI output on new Studio XPS 8100

Well I don't have quite your setup but it's close enough to be of assistance I think. I have the Studio XPS 435T with the ATI 4870 and a Vizio 37" LED HDTV. I used the DVI to RGB converter that came with the 4870 and placed the connector in the Vizio's PC slot which is RGB my HDMI cable is not used in this since I connected sound from the Sound Blaster Card with Toslink Fiber and not the onboard sound in the ATI. Specs are below.............

435T i7 975 3.3 GHz Extreme, 12 Gb RAM, 1.5 Tb SATA x 2 internal,Patriot Warp 256 Gb SSD quick release and 1.5 Tb eSATA drive  Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Blu-ray/HD-DVD/RW combo by LG and Blu-ray/RW, 1000/NIC and  Belkin N+  wireless, X-Fi Extreme Soundblaster, Hauppauge 2250 DTV Tuner card with Media Center remote, Bose Surround Sound 5.1 speakers, LifeCam VX 3000 VidCam, Logitech Wireless Desktop Kb and Performance MX Mouse, Bamboo Pen Tablet,  XFX ATi 5870 XXX Edition driving a Vizio 37" HDTV using  Optical Toslink from the X-Fi Extreme Sound Card, also have Pioneer SE-DIR 800C Wireless Dolby DTS Headphones

Black Alienware M17X Q9100 2.26 GHz Extreme, 320Gb HDD0 and 160Gb SSD1,Blu-Ray w/ DVD/RW, 8Gb RAM, WUXGA  Screen, ATI 4870 Crossfire-x,  Alienware TactX Mouse Windows 7 64 Professional.

0 Kudos

did you ever get this problem resolved?

0 Kudos
kenpratt
Copper

I have the exact same configuration (including Vizio LCD) with the exact same issue.   It can be overcome by using the DVI-HDMI adaptor sent with the system, but then BR-DVDs run into HDCP issues.    The best solution would be getting output from the HDMI connection on the desktop...  Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
kenpratt
Copper

Just spent 3 hours with Dell support.    NVidia card (GeForce GTS 240 1024Mb GDDR3) has DVI outputs.  When I use the Dell supplied adaptor to connect an HDMI cable to my Vizio VA26L10T's HDMI port, Power DVD DX gives me an HDCP error code.  NVidia control panel says my monitor is not compliant, which is incorrect as it plays BR's fine when connected to an external player.  So the problem is with the card, the software, or the adaptor?

Nice of Dell to set me up with a BR-DVD in a configuration that won't play BR...  

0 Kudos

Adding a PCIe x16 video card disables the onboard HDMI port. One option is to remove the addin video card and enable the onboard video card which will turn on the onboard HDMI port. The second option is to return the addin video card and get one of these:
F834P Nvidia GeForce GT220 1GB M205 DVI-I, HDMI, VGA $50
KP8GM Ati Radeon HD 5450 M114A 1GB DDR3 Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI, VGA $50
HWHRN Ati Radeon HD 5670 M206 1GB GDDR5 Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI, VGA $100
GCJ42 Ati Radeon HD 5770 P120A Juniper XT Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort

These video cards do not have HDMI and disabled the onboard HDMI when installed:
FTGGG Nvidia GeForce G310 M114N 512MB DDR3 Dual Link DVI-I, DisplayPort, VGA 0$
9JDYJ Nvidia GeForce GTS240 P118N 1GB GDDR3 Two Dual Link DVI-I, HDTV Out $130
5X2CH Nvidia GeForce GTX260 P201N 1.7GB GDDR3 Two Dual Link DVI-I, HDTV Out $230

kenpratt
Copper

Chris- thanks, this answer is helpful.  However, I have spoken to 3 Customer Care reps on the support line, all telling me I have to pack up and return the entire system, that I can't just return the card and get a new one.   Are you able to connect me with someone at Dell that can actually make your simpler, cheaper suggestion happen?   I am perfectly willing to pay for the difference in cost of the cards even though I am still annoyed that Dell would ship me incompatible components.

0 Kudos

kenpratt,

Click my username, click Add as Friend, in the blank area I need the following, then click Send request -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
PC Service Tag number:
Reason: Studio XPS 8100 HDMI conflict

0 Kudos

Chris

I have the same problem as ken with my XPS 8100 and my ST2310 Monitor.

Shipped with NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240.

Can you help me please

0 Kudos

Chris,

I as well have the same problem.  I have a XPS8100 with a GTX260 card.  I have been trying all different options to try to get it to work to no avail.  Thanks for letting me know what the root cause is. 

Can you help me please.

0 Kudos