Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2011 08:00

NO Sound from XPS 630i after motherboard replacement

After several sessions with DELL on the phone, my problems were finally fixed with a power supply replacement.  At the same time, the technician also replaced my motherboard.  I now have a computer that finally stays running but NO sound.  A DELL tech tried to download a driver but had no luck in fixing my problem.  Any ideas?

72 Posts

July 20th, 2011 08:00

replying via services

412 Posts

July 20th, 2011 09:00

Which version of Windows do you have?

Can you look into device manager & see if there are any errors under "Sound, video and game controllers"?

If you look into Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound you'll see your sound devices listed. Make sure your device (speakers, HDMI, Digital Audio, etc) has a green check next to it. If not, click on it then choose "Set Default" if possible.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2011 10:00

Windows 7 Ultimate.  No errors under "sound, video and game controllers.  Under "Sound", AMD HDMI Output says "Not plugged in" and I cannot set either of them as default

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 20th, 2011 11:00

First thing check the BIOS (F2 - Setup) to verify the Integrated Audio (on the motherboard, which I assume you are using - you didn''t say) is enabled.   

Next reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers.  The NVIDIA chipset driver (for Windows XP but it should work OK in Win 7) can be Downloaded  HERE  Reboot the PC and then reinstall the Dell sound driver  Click Me (this is listed as Vista but Windows 7 uses Vista sound drivers without problems).

Assuming the Integrated audio on the new motherboard is working OK this should get it working.

No Events found!