Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2006 15:00

NVidia Driver nv4_disp in CONTINUOUS LOOP!!

I have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card on my Dell Dimension 8300 desk top running Windows XP Pro.  I have recently been getting a critical error screen (blue screen) when trying to open Windows.  The error message states that the video driver file (nv4_disp) is caught in a continuous loop and Windows is shut down to avoid damage to the system.  The only way I can get into the operating system is to open Windows in the Safe Mode and uninstall the Nvidia video drivers.  I have reinstalled the drivers, but the same message keeps coming up and Windows keeps shutting down.  Can you give me some idea of how I can solve this problem?  Does it mean that the video card is bad?  I'm at a loss as to what I should do.  Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

125 Posts

June 16th, 2006 17:00

While you're in safe mode, use a driver cleaner utility to delete all the remnants of the old video driver before installing the new video driver.

125 Posts

Install the new driver while in safe mode.

i did that to no avail

I get the same thing. Do you get pink vertical bars on that continuous/infinite loop thing? is your dell logo start up screen jumbled as well as everything else leading up to safe mode? cause i'm having that on top of the continuous loop stuff

just did, still got bars

ok, to tell you exactly what i did.

1. ran driver cleaner and killed off all the nvidia stuff
2. checked to see if "nvidia" was still there, nope
3. downloaded and burned NVIDIA 56.72 WHLQ Drivers since i have a dimension 8300 and a geforce fx 5200 graphics card
4. put said drivers on messed up computer
5. restarted
6. still got bars

2 Posts

June 17th, 2006 00:00

I did the same thing you did, except that I didn't use a driver cleaner and I downloaded a different set of drivers. I used 84.21 whql drivers. And I keep getting the same error message. The message also says that the graphics card may be bad. So I'm thinking that may be the problem.

1 Message

June 19th, 2006 21:00

I had the same problem on the same setup. Diagnostic lights on the back were all green, which suggested that there is no hardware problem, although diagnostic test from Resource CD failed! When opened the case I realised that video card with its heat sink sits too close to the sound card, almost touching. And only one fan blowing through plastic funnel at main CPU. I bet your problem, like mine, started when it was a hot day!  I've moved the sound card further away, removed existing driver & installed the latest one (same as yours) downloaded from NVidia website (one from Dell wouldn't work) and now everything is OK. Sounds simple but it took me whole day to work it out. At one stage even Safe Mode  & VGA Mode wouldn't work. Good luck with your PC.

2 Posts

June 20th, 2006 14:00

Hey j_B_good,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it when I get my new power supply unit. While troubleshooting the video problem (booting & rebooting ad nauseum), my system quit powering up. So, after more troubleshooting, it was determined that I need a new power supply unit. I'm waiting for a new one now. Thanks again.
No Events found!