Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2009 22:00

NVidia temperature settings on Dimension 8400 upgraded with 2407WFPHC monitor

Hi --

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with an original NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GTO card. Last Christmas I upgraded the system with a 24" 2407WFPHC monitor. Recently I started getting flickers in the monitor, including during start up. I upgraded the NVidia drivers, and am now starting to get Temperature Settings warnings that popup, saying the GPU core temperature is too high (>135 degrees sometimes).

Is it possible / likely that the monitor upgrade is increasing the GPU heat beyond what the built-in fan can handle? And is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks!

Ramon

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 1st, 2009 04:00

I've never heard of a monitor causing a problem, but if you are using a high screen resolution, that you didn't use before, it could be a potential area of concern.  Since you upgraded the drivers for the card maybe the problem has been there all along but the older software didn't detect any heat problems or it could even be the new software is not properly detecting the temperature on the video card.   The video card you have is relatively "old" and maybe it's starting to fail too. 

No Events found!