Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2008 00:00

Need Help with Indexing!

Hi:

Last night, I restored my default settings in 'Indexing Options' on my XPS720 (Vista), and then I waited for the PC to go through its indexing, and then I shut down for the night. Everything was fine - except that when I loaded up today, I noticed that my PC was working extra hard, and when I came out of standby mode, I opened a window and saw the cursor moving by itself to the right in the search box, and I couldn't do anything. I discovered that my PC was going through all 20,000 files again - indexing them the same way it did last night. What the heck? Isn't the indexing of items a one-time thing? Why is my PC indexing every time I start up? Also, by default, I have 'Outlook', 'User' and 'Start Menu' in my index list; is this normal?

Thanks!

Ken A. Dienne

1.1K Posts

April 27th, 2008 10:00

20,000 files are a lot of files to index.  That's why it's taking so long.

My 420's are at 6,000 and that's because they both have my music indexed and I have about 3,500 songs.

My laptops are around 2,500 files being indexed. 

I would modify your indexing options  to lower the 20,000 as that seems like an awful lot.   But when you restored defaults it's possible the system rebuilt the entire indexing and that is why it is 20,000 files.

It probably did not finish by the time you shut it down, so it started again when you turned it on.

14.4K Posts

April 27th, 2008 13:00

i just truned it off.. the slight gain in searching just is not worth the constant disk activity...
No Events found!