Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

December 4th, 2008 18:00

Need advice...Installing a PCI card on my 8200 to upgrade to USB 2.0

I am trying to install a PCI card to upgrade to USB 2.0 on my Demension 8200. I bpught a card from Microcenter.

When I installed it into the slot and booted up the plug and play feature of Windows XP didn't automatically install the drivers.

A disk came with the card, but I was unable to install the VIA driver from the tisk. So I was left with 4 new USB slots that would only work at 1.1

USB speed. A friend told me that the motherboards in the Dell Demension work well with USB 2.0 cards that have an NEC chipset.

Has anyone had any experience in installing a PCI USB 2.0 card that installed correctly using XP's plug and play functionality?

What brand card was used??    Thanks for your help

4.6K Posts

December 5th, 2008 09:00

Is it showing in Device Manager, and have you tried updating the drivers that way?

Try re-installing your chipset drivers?

Check the 'Support --> Drivers & Downloads' section for the Dimension 8200 on the Dell website for updated drivers first though, rather than installing the ones of the disc you got with the system?

Another option... assuming the motherboard does use a VIA chipset (which you've mentioned), is to try the Via 4-in-1 drivers available from VIA Arena?

2 Posts

April 8th, 2009 10:00

I have installed a similar card. Via Chip set 4x2 USB 2.0 card into a PCI slot. The card is recognized, the Device manager shows a Enhanced USB port with available ports. however when i plug in my flash drives or my ipods, i get the USB 1.1 message which seems to indicate that the system doesn't recognize the new ports as USB 2.0 even though i am plugged in one of the ports on the PCI USB 2.0 card.

I have deleted the drivers, rebooted the box and let it download/update the drivers automatically. I have run windows update. I have checked Via's site. Downloaded their drivers, (and subsequently deleted them as they only provide ME and 98 drivers).

Is there any chance the USB 1.1 message is bogus? When i click on the message to display the available USB 2.0 ports on the box, it shows me one of the ports i am already plugged into!

is thers something i am missing here?

I am running XP SP3. Bios version is A09.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 8th, 2009 11:00

VIA UHCI isnt as compatable as NEC OHCI.

NEC based cards are PLug and play and work with WIN98SE and higher.

I recommend the card from IOGEAR.

PC and Mac Compatable.  Native to OS9 drivers and WIN98SE CD drivers.  ME/2000/XP/VISTA just plug in and install native drivers from OS CD.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0221833

SKU: 697185
Mfr Part #: GIC251U 
UPC: 672792550270

Data Link Protocol USB 2.0, 1.1
USB Data Transfer Rate Up to 480Mbps
USB Ports and Connectors Four External Type "A" USB Ports; One Internal Type "A" USB Port
Supported Macintosh Operating Systems Mac 8.6 or Later; Mac OS X 10.x
Interface Type PCI Interface
Supported Windows Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 98se, ME, 2000, XP
Manufacturer Warranty 3 Year Limited Warranty

2 Posts

April 8th, 2009 12:00

and if i purchase this card and have the same issues? I don't mean to be a disbeliever, but...i would really like to get the card i have working!

April 18th, 2009 15:00

I've been going through the same process for a week, spent many hours reading on forums like this one, upgrading drivers which the various free driver detector downloads were flagging as out of date. (updating some of the PCI drivers caused me more problems with my 1.1 ports and had to be rolled back). Possibly because I'm still running BIOS A03 with XP SP3 where many people seem to have upgraded to A09 (upgrading BIOS sounds a bit adventurous to me if you don't have to)

Last week I purchased a PCLine PCI USB 2.0 4+1 port card which has a VIA chip set, installed it and Device Manager showed it as all working okay. I used my scanner on one of the new ports and it worked fine. I then tried the new external hard drive that I'd bought at the same time, and I couldn't access it in My Computer properly (hung and eventually showed I/O access failure problem. Disk manager showed it as being of unknown format. Anyway, I took the hard drive back to PC World, and when they showed me in store that there was nothing wrong with it was when I got my suspicions about the PCI card.

My conclusion after a lot of hours reading and trialling suggestions was that VIA chips tend to be more problematic than NEC ones. I bought a new PCI USB card from Maplins this afternoon (an expensive alternative to online shopping or PC World at £29.99) because I could see it had an NEC chip. Anyway, plugged it in this evening and it works like a dream. Have just backed up my files in a fraction of the time that it used to take with USB 1.1 (I'm sure the extended write time brought about the premature death of my previous external back up drive). Just remains for me to take the old card back to PCWorld for a refund.

Found this as well which sounds very similar to my case, but suggests that not all VIA cards have problems

http://www.tkarena.com/forums/usb-1394-firewire-arena/38344-usb2-pci-cards-via-vt6212l-chipset.html

This is the first time I've contributed to a forum instead of reading on one. As the information in others was so helpful I thought I'd reciprocate. Hope you get your USB2.0s working - defintely worth it.

No Events found!