Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 9th, 2007 00:00

Need help getting Dimension 4600 working again after lightening strike

I recently got DSL internet and I didn't plug my DSL line into a surge protector.  A storm came through the area.  I got home that night to discover my modem was destroyed and my 4600 was completely dead.  When I pushed the power button on the front of the machine, nothing happened at all except the tiny light on the motherboard came on.

I bought a new power supply and installed it.  The computer remained dead.  I seriously doubted that it was a power supply problem anyway.  It looks like the power surge came in through the phone line, entered the modem, then entered the computer through the ethernet connection.

The computer memory was unaffected.  I transferred the memory to my mom's computer and it works fine.

I'm now thinking of buying an ethernet card and new motherboard off ebay.  I'm hesitating because  buying a motherboard on ebay will cost up to $125.00.  I would have no problem spending that amount if I was confident that installing a new motherboard would get my computer running again.  But, I'd hate to spend $125 and find out my computer still won't work.

I'm not that experienced with computers.  How hard will it be for me to remove the old motherboard and install another one?  How likely is it that installing a new ethernet card and motherboard will solve my problem and get my computer running again?  Is this the next thing you would try if you were fixing this computer?  I'd appreciate any opinions/suggestions.  Thanks.

5.8K Posts

October 9th, 2007 01:00

I would think there is a good chance replacing the motherboard will solve the problem. The new motherboard will likely come with a network adapter so you shouldn't need to buy another one. If you want to make sure, you can try pulling the CPU and other cards and drives and testing them in another machine.

Just make sure to buy a motherboard that is compatible with that case. Dell seems to use some proprietary features in the motherboard so they are not standard.

Peter

65 Posts

October 9th, 2007 13:00

You probably do need a new motherboard. But make sure you try it with EVERYTHING else removed first. All PCI cards, maybe just one stick (if you have 2) at a time. Remove all cables especially any USB if you have any. Just bare bones power supply to motherboard....to test to see if it will come on. If not, you probably do need to purchase a new motherboard. But like he says....make sure you are getting one that will work fit in the case.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 9th, 2007 18:00

BrownEyes1

See if this post can help.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!