Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2008 23:00

Need help... lost ip address.

I'm trying to figure out what my ip address is on my Dell Dimension 4500S Intel Pentium 4, running Windows XP Home.  I reformatted my computer and am now trying to connect to the internet.  My cable provider told me that I need an ip address to connect but after several trouble shooting attempts they couldn't help me locate it.  We tried the basic ipconfig but nothing comes up... please help!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 26th, 2008 23:00

japturtle,

From the command line,
type ipconfig /release [press the ENTER key]
type ipcongig /renew [press the ENTER key]

10 Posts

April 27th, 2008 00:00

thanks chris.  this was one of the trouble shooting steps the cable company tried...

this error keeps coming up:

"An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server.  Request has timed out.  No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has its media disconnected." 

1.9K Posts

April 27th, 2008 06:00

Unless you have a static IP address with your cable company....

Have you tried powering all systems down; unplug power to the router, unplug power to the (cable) modem....wait......return power to the cable modem (note LEDs on the modem and verify GOOD LEDs first)....then plugging power to the router (wait, note good LEDs/status/function on the router)...

....and then bringing the system(s) back up cabled directly to the router?  Once cabled internet access is confirmed, then configure your wireless settings for the router and then any wireless system(s).....

No Events found!