Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2013 13:00

Need help with Inspiron 620 Motherboard power/reset/led pin config

I need help with the pin configuration for the Dell Inspiron 620 Motherboard. This is what is looks like:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-620_service%20manual_en-us.pdf 

There is a diagram of the motherboard on the second to last page of the pdf document. I need help with part # 7 on the diagram, the power button connector. The pin configuration is not provided and I would like to know it as I am upgrading the case. I already have everything else connected and placed in the new case. I need the pin configuration for the power switch, reset switch, power LED + and -, and HDD LED.

14.4K Posts

April 6th, 2013 13:00

Dell connections are undocumented. Your best bet is a multimeter and some wire tracing on the old case.

2 Posts

April 6th, 2013 14:00

Wire tracing is impossible, I believe. How would one accomplish the task of the multimeter?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 6th, 2013 15:00

The Inspiron 620 should be standard mATX. Some Dells use proprietary front panel connections, but I don't think that's one of them.

I speak from the position of having installed third-party motherboards in Dell cases.

3 Posts

February 18th, 2015 23:00

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 19th, 2015 06:00

Wire Tracing is possible and relatively easy when you have the correct parts.

The other poster's diagram has too many pins and the positions are wrong.  THIS IS A GUESS Based on the pictures below.  You will have to reverse engineer the part to find out exactly.  Removing the LED's allows you to visually see the polarity.

The front panel has 6 wires AND A Jumper?  Part Number KCRV8

You should be able to trace the wires from the assembly to get pinout.

Also do not confuse the INTEL Standard at the bottom this diagram is NOT the 620 pinout.  This is more than enough data to get you going.

If you want all the ports I would suggest buying and tracing a Dell 620S front panel with USB SD Reader DELL K6M7C.

INTEL PINOUT Below  This IS NOT Dell Standard.  May be similar to Dimension 8500/8700 however I don't have one so I cant say one way or the other.

You will have to trace for the USB as well as the Audio cables.

USB is Green Audio is Yellow Front panel is black.

3 Posts

February 19th, 2015 09:00

I stand corrected. My system was an Inspiron 620.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

VOSTRO 620 is NOT an inspiron 620 and the INSPIRON 620 does not have 16 pins on the front panel connection plug.

Your diagram is not correct in any aspect afaikt for an INSPIRON 620.  Mine may be flawed but its based on actual 620 front panel connection plug which has 12 pins not 16 and has a jumper on the plug.  You will get a front panel ERROR if you dont have the jumper.

YMMV but you need to use an actual INSPIRON 620 front panel to OHM it out.

The full Front panel can be figured out from a 620S front panel  and the KCRV8 is the power on/ Power LED/ and HDD LED.  Audio I/O PANEL K6M7C Where Green is USB, Yellow is Audio. Black on the front panel I/O is the media reader aka USB. There is no reset switch. Another reason why your response to the OP is incorrect.

3 Posts

My diagram was based on the header on the motherboard from my Dell Inspiron 620 / Service Tag # JBYXOR1. When I removed the front panel plug from the header, 8 pins were exposed. I accidentally donated the case before tracing the wires to the front panel switch. Therefore, I had to use the process of elimination method to identify the pins.

I powered on the system by jumping every 2 pins on that header with the tip of a Philips screw driver until I located the "power on" pins (the power supply came on). Once I did that, I jumped the 2 pins with the corresponding "POWER SW" connector.

Next, without the hard drive connected to the MB, I took the "POWER LED" connector and jumped the rest of the pins until the LED illuminated on the front of my new case. Once that happened, I jumped the 2 pins with the corresponding "PW LED" connector.

Next, without the hard drive connected to the MOBO, I jumped the remaining pins with the "HDD LED" connector to ensure that the remaining pins will not illuminate the HDD LED on the front of the case. After doing so, I powered down the system, connected the hard drive to the MOBO and then powered on the system. You can use any method you want to initiate hard drive activity, but I chose to go to DOWNLOAD.COM. Once there, I found and downloaded a very, very large file. While the file was downloading, I jumped the remaining wires with the "HDD LED" switch until the light illuminated on the front panel of my new case. 

Finally, I took the "RESET SW" connector and jumped the pins that were remaining. As I jumped each pin, I pressed the RESET button on the front of the case and the system failed to reboot on each of the remaining pins.......and yes, I reversed all of the pin connectors to determine the (+) and (-).

In conclusion, my diagram is not incorrect, it depends on the header setup that's present on your board. My diagram identifies the pins with that amount of pins present. Also, the way I described how to identify the location of each pin, should be very useful to those that have a motherboard and no case to help trace and identify the pins from the front panel connector. This goes for ANY motherboard.

For the record, I transferred my Dell Inspiron 620 motherboard to a Thermaltake V3 Black Edition case. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 19th, 2015 10:00

My onsite Techs point out to me that you and I are not that far apart however. If the jumper is missing does your system say its a vostro instead of an Inspiron?

All I have to do is stand on my head.  The other thing suggested to me was to look at a Foxconn front panel and then it makes more sense.  One would need a Bi Color LED to see which PWR LED is correct.

September 21st, 2017 08:00

Hi guys, i'm in the same situation with a DIH61R Palm Beach M/B extracted from Optiflex 390.

Someone have original front i/o cable and can post photos ? i want to try to emulate other dell pins to cancel "front i/o cable failure, press f1 to continue". Or someone can have complete pinout ? i'm pretty sure that unusued pin is just for this !

Thanks and excuse my bad english

Dario

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 25th, 2017 11:00

The dell forum is not the lazy tech reverse engineering Forum.  The 390 front panel is Totally Different from the Vostro or the Inspiron 620.

This particular board is the SFF  F6X5P board and front panel power on is NOT 2 pins nor is it a board.

Dell Optiplex 390,790,990,3010,7010,9010 SFF Power Button / On Off Switch 85DX6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-390-790-990-3010-7010-9010-SFF-Power-Button-On-Off-Switch-85DX6-/232339680841

Audio  LAN Diag LED's etc is a separate assembly. With Green Yellow and Black connectors on the side.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 25th, 2017 13:00

No Events found!