Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2016 07:00

Need new Video card? Window 10 XPS 435t/9000

I am hoping to get some advice or help on a video problem.  I recently successfully update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my Studio XPS 435t/9000.  I am now having graphics problems apparently related to my AMD radeon HD 5770 that was supplied by Dell at purchase.  I have tried updating the drivers from a complete removal.  Doesn't work.  I still get messages that the graphics has blocked some app and had to be restarted.  Thereafter the performance goes bad and eventually I have to log off or reboot.

I have tried all the fixes I found by 'googling'. No joy.  I wonder if anyone had found something helpful.

Also I am considering replacing the card with a newer one that has current support; the old one doesn't.  I found the PNY GTX 960 cards seem to have enough performance for me and have a suitable power requirement for my stock power supply.  Has anyone tried these on a XPS 9000 with Windows 10.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  This problem makes the PC very hard to use with continual need to reboot or log off.

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 19th, 2016 07:00

The 5770 should work fine with windows 10.  However you do have to reinstall DOTNET 2.0 and 3.5 by control panel add features to windows and be online when that happens.

once dotnet 2.0 3.5 is installed you add Dotnet 4.6 all features.

Then you should be able to let windows automatically update to the current windows 10 drivers.

I did do a clean install with the TH2 media.

GPU fan could be failing and or power supply could be an issue.

I have no issues with windows 10 and the stock 5770 or stock 5850.

Corsair CS750M is a recommended power supply upgrade for the stock 460W unit.

11 Posts

February 19th, 2016 09:00

Tried your suggestion about the dot net software.  Part of the Dotnet 4.6 won't install for some reason.  I tried using the Microsoft basic video driver and system did not crash, but at some point it drove the fans absolutely nuts, so I went back to the latest AMD radeon driver.

As far as I can tell all fans are working and the card is not hot.  One CPU core is hotter than the others,but seems to be in an acceptable range as far as I can tell.

Any other ideas?

11 Posts

February 19th, 2016 10:00

It sounds like you have a 5770 working on your xps 9000 with Windows 10. Can you tell me what driver you are using? I have the AMD 15.201.1151.1008 version installed. It works the best but still crashes regularly. Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 20th, 2016 20:00

You don't download and run an exe installer for dotnet.

You go into control panel and add features to windows and let it get the files from windows update.

CCC is a dotnet application that wont install without all the dot nets as well as all the dot net updates.

Crashing all the time indicates hardware not software issue.

Especially if its 0x116 TDR error.

I clean installed WIN10 and then added directx june 2010 and legacy direct play.

I then let windows find all the ati drivers which took a while because there were dot net patches bla bla bla.

The driver is updated via windows update not by downloading and running an installer.

11 Posts

April 16th, 2016 15:00

Well, I found a way to reset the amd radeon graphics from a batch file for a temporary solution, but not really satisfactory.  I have given up on the original HD 5770 amd card with the stock XPS9000.

For the record, the solution that worked was purchasing a PNY Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 card, about $180-190.  Then completely remove all AMD stuff from control panel, use DDU to remove everything else. Shutdown and replace the graphics card.  Reboot and install latest Nvidia drivers.

This appears to work perfectly so far.

May 12th, 2017 14:00

Does anyone know if the EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SSC ACX 3.0 video card will work with the XPS435T/9000 and Windows 10?  ( I cannot find where to start a new question.  Hope it's okay to ask here.)

No Events found!