Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2008 17:00

Need some help with memory..

Hello all,

First off this question is about my inlaws HP, I know what are they thinking...HA... but I came here because I trust the advice on this forum so much.  

They called me yesterday and said their computer kept shutting down for no reason and asked me if I would look at it... So I did.. It's an HP Pavilion Slim s7700n with 1 gig of ram and running Vista Home.  Anyway I thought the Ram might be bad and I didn't really know how to test it, but I ran a system scan on Crucial.com and it showed 0 ram in both slots.  I opened it up and both modules are slotted perfectly.  Does this mean the Ram is bad?  If not, does anyone know a better way to test it out?

Ram is a cheap fix, and they only had 1 gig anyway...... 2 gigs at Crucial for $39.99 right now

Just trying to help out the in laws...any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Flu

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 30th, 2008 18:00

fluhartz

It could, also be a bad memory slot.

Remove both the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1, then see if the system boots and the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.

Does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the see if the system boots and the computer starts normally.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

See if you have identified a faulty module [or slot] or reinstall all modules without error.

If you want to check the memory, you could use a stand-alone Memory Diagnostic, like the free Memtest86.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

54 Posts

October 1st, 2008 11:00

Bev,

thanks for the quick reply.. I have a question though. If the Ram was bad would the PC not boot at all?  Because theirs does boot up and then shuts itself off occasionally.

I haven't had a chance to go over and try your suggestions yet, I should be able to after work today....

Thanks

Flu

54 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 12:00

I tried the memtest86 and as soon as I booted it up, all RED.... Does this mean the memory is bad? 

I ran it last night and let it run over night, but I haven't been back. I can go over after work....but when I left last night, it was at like 400 errors...

From what I have read, the memory is no good.....

Thanks again,

Flu

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 2nd, 2008 19:00

fluhartz

What shows as 'Red'?

Memtest68, usually gives error messages for reporting errors.

Check the Technical Information here.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

54 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 20:00

Bev,

Below the dotted lines that had the categories like Wall Time, Cached..errors...ect.....  It was just producing line after line with different amounts of bites.. and can't remember what else it was saying.  Sorry I'm going off of memory.... There was 25500 errors. 

Sorry if this isn't enough information.. I told them that the test would keep running forever until I stopped it and my father in law thought he was supposed to turn it off...  I could start it over tosee what it was saying in the lines with the bite amounts....

Hope this makes sense to you.....

Thanks

Flu

No Events found!