herbccc
2 Bronze

Need someone to look at screenshot and advise , (memory question).

Jump to solution

I have a Dell XPS 8900 and  you can see the memory configuration in the top left corner of the screenshot .  I have 8 MB of ram installed .

I want to add two more to make it a total of 16 MB , it looks like i have two open slots but i am baffled as to which choice in the screenshot to choose .

Thank you for any assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RoHe
8 Krypton

RE: Need someone to look at screenshot and advise , (memory question).

Jump to solution

So you only have to buy one kit with 2x4 GB to reach a total of 16 GB.

That's good news!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

View solution in original post

15 Replies
HughHill
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Both seem to be identicle even the item number I think its a mistake so I would choose the lowest priced one that way if it is a mistake you will get it at half price :)

herbccc
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

The reason i highlighted two of the selections is because those two have a circle with a line through them  and the other selections don't .  Was just curious why .

On another note,  to achieve 16 total MB of ram i need a quantity of  2 is that right ?  They can be used along with the ram that came with the computer you say?

Thank you very very much.

0 Kudos
RoHe
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

They actually have different part numbers (CT8805811 vs CT8806428). The images have the same number, 13160).

The second one might actually be the price for a kit of 2 matched modules (2x17.99 = 35.98) while the first is for only one module.

If you try to put either of them in your cart, you get an error message so their site is totally messed up!

A quick call to Crucial should sort it out.  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

herbccc
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you ,  purchasing two of them would work right along with the memory the computer came with am i correct ?

0 Kudos
rdunnill
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Thank you ,  purchasing two of them would work right along with the memory the computer came with am i correct ?

It should, but I try to avoid mixing memory types.

herbccc
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

You like to avoid mixing different memory types huh ?  Thats just great really great , nothings easy anymore , i live Murphy's law by the way .

Dell Memory is probably double the price is my guess , dammit man , i just can't win.

Thanks for the response

0 Kudos
rdunnill
6 Indium

Jump to solution

You like to avoid mixing different memory types huh ?  Thats just great really great , nothings easy anymore , i live Murphy's law by the way .

Hey, you asked. :emotion-1:

Memory's inexpensive enough these days. I have an OptiPlex 9010 which I built from bits sourced through eBay. Originally it was using a matched pair of budget 4gb G.SKILL sticks, but I wanted to max it out so I replaced it with two matched pairs of budget 8gb G.SKILL sticks. It has been perfectly stable. (Although Crucial is recommended, I have been using G.SKILL.)

RoHe
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Try the Crucial RAM recommended for this system. If it doesn't work along with what you already have they will take it back. That's their guarantee.

Just don't mix different modules in the same bank. In other words, as long as the modules in slots with the same color retention clips are matched, you shouldn't have trouble.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

herbccc
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Is the (CT8806428) # FOR $35.99 each the correct one ?   I would need to purchase two sets and i should be good to go is that right ?

Thank you Sir

0 Kudos