Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 15th, 2008 02:00

Network Connection Problems

My XPS 630 running Vista Ultimate is able to connect to the internet when I am connected directly to the DSL modem. Adding a router and I cannot connect to the internet nor to the other computers on the network. The other two computers connect to the network and Internet with no problems. Can anyone give me some ideas?

799 Posts

October 15th, 2008 16:00

@mm879 wrote:
My XPS 630 running Vista Ultimate is able to connect to the internet when I am connected directly to the DSL modem. Adding a router and I cannot connect to the internet nor to the other computers on the network. The other two computers connect to the network and Internet with no problems. Can anyone give me some ideas?

Have you tried setting up the Network and Sharing Center and make sure Network Discovery is turned on?

Just a thought.

258 Posts

October 16th, 2008 00:00

I had a similar problem with my XPS 420 - it could only be solved if I turned the PC on after the router and modem were turned on and all lights lit.

799 Posts

October 16th, 2008 11:00

@jronesi wrote:
I had a similar problem with my XPS 420 - it could only be solved if I turned the PC on after the router and modem were turned on and all lights lit.

I have experienced these types of issues on several systems in the past.

I was advised by the IPS support, to unplug the cable/DSL modem for 10 seconds, then reconnect the power cable and let the modem reset itself. This will take a minute or two, until all the lights are on continously, except for the activity light, which will blink imtermitently.

I questioned the 10 second wait time and was advised this was to insure that all the capacitiors in the devices had fully discharged. 

Then disconnect the power to the router, leave it unconnected for about 10 seconds, reconnect the router power cable and wait until the light stay on continously.

Reboot the computer and when completely booted into the desktop, check and see if the network connection is established.

I have done this many times and it works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

799 Posts

October 16th, 2008 13:00

@jronesi wrote:
I think we're pretty much saying the same thing - the order of turning things on is the key.

Thanks jronesi, I believe you are correct. These actions, taken in the correct order, seems to always correct the issue.

I have never understood why all thes steps are required to be taken exactly as they are, but that seems to be the only way to reslove this particular issue.

I have set up many network systems, including wireless ones, and some connect without issues, while others do not. I never know why some set up normally and others require these steps.

But when the initial setup does not work, I just follow the steps as you mentioned, and it always seems to work.

Thanks for your input.

14.4K Posts

@jronesi wrote:

This is the normal way you reset or power on network equipment. Modem is first, router then computer.

If you leave the modem and router on all the time this should not be necessary when you turn on the computer.

258 Posts

I think we're pretty much saying the same thing - the order of turning things on is the key.

799 Posts

Davet50 wrote:This is the normal way you reset or power on network equipment. Modem is first, router then computer. If you leave the modem and router on all the time this should not be necessary when you turn on the computer.

Thanks Davet50, This has been my experience exactly. When I have power outages at the house and at several business locations that I manage networks for, almost always, when the power comes back up, all the modems and routers reset themselves and the networks are all active when the computers are rebooted.

Rarely does the modems and routers need to be reset. I have also experienced the "modem-router reset" issue at times, even when the power is not turned off.

I get the sense that this is caused by the ISP, if they interrupt the signal to the modem.

Thanks for your input. This will be helpful to those with this issue.

14.4K Posts

October 16th, 2008 19:00

You may have been lucky with the older system. This procedure has been around for a while. All the gurus on the network and wireless board will cite this procedure whether vista or XP.
I never used a router with my old 8300 just the cable modem. Since I went to routers I have always left them on and. Only occasionally did I have to reset the router. 90% of the time after a power failure the modem, and router will power on the proper order and only in small amount of time do I need to reset the router.

258 Posts

October 16th, 2008 19:00

Prior to my XPS420 I used a Dimension 8300 and a Dimension 8100 with a wired connection thru a Linksys router and a cable modem.  I am in the habit of turning everything off at night and on again in the morning.  With the Dimension PC's it didn't matter what order I used to turn the equipment on.  However, when I replaced the 8100 with the XPS420 it mattered - I assume the Vista OS in the 420 has something to do with it.

My main reason for turning the router and modem off at night is because my older model Linksys has a bad habit of unexpectedly going offline even with the latest firmware for the model.  Restarting it every morning has eliminated that problem.

799 Posts

October 16th, 2008 20:00

Davet50 wrote: Only occasionally did I have to reset the router. 90% of the time after a power failure the modem, and router will power on the proper order and only in small amount of time do I need to reset the router.

This has been my experience also. I turn my home systems off at night.

All the business systems I deal with run 24 hours every day. 

I stopped using Linksys equipment several years ago due to failures.

Don't want to seem critical, since many use these routers, but after about ten of these failed after a short period of time, I switched to another brand and have not had a failure since.

No Events found!