Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2017 10:00

Network driver for Optiplex 7050

We just bought several new Optiplex 7050 desktops, which came with Win10 Pro (64bit).  Our university has a MS license agreement which allows us to use Win10 Enterprise (also 64bit), so our SOP is to wipe all new computers and reinstall from scratch.

We have been doing this for *years* (I've been here 30+ years and we've done it from the beginning).

When I do the install on this new Optiplex 7050, and download the driver from support.dell.com, the install hangs for a long time, the acts like it succeeds - but looking at the Device Manager shows the network card (which should be an Intel I219-LM) as an unknown device.

I did attempt to download the driver directly from Intel.  Doing this, it starts to install correctly, but aborts at the end.  Watching device manager during this installation shows that it identifies the device, but when it aborts, it goes back to being unknown.

Are there any suggestions on where to get the driver that will actually work?

June 8th, 2017 07:00

Yes, we found a solution:  We obtained a new Windows 10 Enterprise installation disc that had all of the current updates rolled in.   I don't know which of the rolled-in updates did the trick - but it now works.

And as a plus, new installs now go MUCH quicker.  :-)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 16:00

Did you install the Intel Chipset driver and Intel Management Engine driver as the first 2 drivers after loading Win 10E?

Without those 2 drivers, some drivers, including network drivers, may not install or may not work.

3 Posts

June 7th, 2017 13:00

I'm running into the exact same problem. Were you able to find a solution to this?

3 Posts

June 8th, 2017 14:00

Thanks for the update! Unfortunately, my institution doesn't have an updated version of Windows 10 Enterprise yet and Windows 10 Creator's Update doesn't work on Enterprise edition but at least now I know the problem lies with the OS image. This isn't ideal but I'll just purchase a network card for the machine.

3 Posts

June 9th, 2017 12:00

An update for those who run into the same issue: Once I added a network adapter to the computer and computer was connected to the internet, Windows automatically installed the drivers for the I219-LM.

No Events found!