Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2016 15:00

New BIOS conflits with hdmi monitor

Hi, I am having a problem with my XPS 8500.

A long time ago I replaced with GPU with a Radeon HD6850. I usually use it with 2 monitor one connected through VGA and my tv connected through HDMI as a secondary display (although the computer marks it as the primary display, which is not a problem). Up to last week everything worked perfectly.

On the weekend I was doing some maintenance and among other things upgraded my BIOS from A06 to A12. Since them I have been unable to boot my computer while the HDMI monitor is connected.

If I boot the computer with just the VGA monitor then everything works perfectly and I log into Windows. Once in windows I can connect the HDMI cable and Windows picks up the display and starts using it correctly.

If however I try to boot with the HDMI monitor connected, I cannot even see the BIOS screen.

In fact, if after a few attempts of booting with the HDMI connected, I disconnect the HDMI and try to boot again, I briefly get a warning the screen saying that I should tell support that it was stuck in "checkpoint 00D5".

Any ideas on how to fix this. I have tried to downgrade my BIOS back to A06 but I have been unable to do so.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 27th, 2016 05:00

You may want to update the video card driver as well.

4 Posts

January 27th, 2016 06:00

Thanks, I already updated the video card driver and the audio driver and no luck. Any other ideas?

2 Posts

January 27th, 2016 16:00

I have a XPS 8500 with a Radeon 7850 that is connected to a single monitor via HDMI and started experiencing major issues on Saturday, January 23. My BIOS was A09. On Saturday, suddenly the computer display would freeze and sometimes crash on bootup seconds after I got to the desktop screen every time I booted it up. However, the computer would work fine with the video card disabled.

I swapped out the Radeon 7850 and put in the original Radeon 7570, but still experienced the same freezing/crashing upon bootup. Then I updated the BIOS to A12 and suddenly the computer worked without issues with the Radeon 7570 (although I only tested it for 10 minutes). So I put back in the Radeon 7850 and it worked fine for like 5 minutes before freezing again.

Based on your post, I'm wondering if there was some Dell update that really screwed up the ATI video card performance that happened recently. I'm going to try a different HDMI cable and a different connection to see if that could be causing the issue. I'm hoping it's not an issue with the PCI port on the motherboard.

4 Posts

January 29th, 2016 16:00

Let me know if you manage to solve your problem, or if get any update.

As for my troubles I think the cause was the BIOS update.

No Events found!