Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 28th, 2017 11:00

New Bios (1.0.2) will not install on Alienware Aurora R7

When you click on the Bios file to download, it is instantaneous.  I get the feeling this is a bad/empty file?  

If not, then there is a problem with this Desktop.

Dell apps are installed to find and install the updates.  I even tried to manually install the Bios update.

Any help will be appreciated.  The reason I am trying to update the Bios is because I installed an NVMe  (512gb) drive and it does not show up under disk management, nor does it show up under diskpart (cmd).

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 29th, 2017 18:00

You'll get a better response if you repost this in the Alienware Club forum.

en.community.dell.com/.../default.aspx

Be sure to mention the version of Windows when you post over there.

FWIW, I tried downloading the file and it was very fast here too. The file that downloaded is small, ~7.55 MB, so maybe not surprising that it downloads fast.  

25 Posts

October 29th, 2017 20:00

Thanks, I did post over there.  No response either.

Even tech Support could not get the new Bios to install.  Nor get the NVMe to show up.  Now the Desktop will not shut down-it just posts to the sign-in screen.

I'm waiting on a call from the next support tier before I RMA this thing.  I get the feeling the Aurora R7 should not have been released for sale...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 30th, 2017 12:00

You can try resetting BIOS to the factory defaults by removing the motherboard battery and pressing/holding the power button for ~30 sec. May not help you get the new BIOS installed but might help with the shut-down problem.

Always unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before working inside.

May take a day or 2 before somebody in the AW forum responds, since you posted on the weekend...

25 Posts

October 30th, 2017 13:00

Thanks.  Do you mean the CMOS battery?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 30th, 2017 13:00

Yes

25 Posts

October 31st, 2017 17:00

No dice; still does not shut down.  I then performed a factory reset and even that did not fix it.  I'll give them until Friday morning to contact me before this thing gets RMA'd.  Support said it would be 2-3 days-I'll give them 4 days.

Have to admit this has not been one of Dell's stellar moments...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Was worth a try...

What happens if you remove the NVMe  drive?

25 Posts

Pulled the NVMe.  Setting Windows 10 up again.  Any recommendations as to what to do first once it is complete?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 31st, 2017 18:00

Make sure you have all the latest Dell drivers installed for your specific hardware after the clean Windows install. BTW: What version of Windows and if Win 10, which update, Anniversary, Creators or Fall Creators?

Drivers can be downloaded from Dell's Support page for the R7 onto a USB stick using any PC for installation on the R7. Then make sure all the Microsoft updates are installed too.

Then try running the BIOS update again.

Don't know much about NVMe drives so somebody else will have to answer those kinds of questions.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 31st, 2017 20:00

I posted in your Alienware thread.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 1st, 2017 12:00

Thanks Tesla!

No Events found!