CCN2216
1 Nickel

RE: New Dell Bios rendered XPS desktop unusable

Oh well forget what i said earlier , even a copy of windows won't install , it's stuck on "Completing Installation " for the last half hour .

Usually it takes just a few minutes .

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

You sure took a drastic step by reinstalling Windows because there were still other things to try first, beyond what I'd posted. And I sure hope your personal files are backed up on external media because they'll be erased by the fresh install.  

You're going to have 100's of Windows 7 updates to install once the OS install finishes. So be sure to get those done right away. And then you're going to have to reinstall all your apps too.

(Re)Installing Windows doesn't change BIOS settings. The OS installation will use whatever settings are in BIOS to determine how things get installed, not the other way around. This assumes those BIOS settings are compatible with the hardware that's in the PC.

Post back and let us know how it goes...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
CCN2216
1 Nickel

I really don't have anything to save and don't have any apps so reinstalling is no big deal .

Reinstall failed though , it's stuck on "Completing installation? Somethings very wrong , computer can't install Windows apparently .

This is a permanent freeze , if you hit escape it says computer will be unusable but it already is .

0 Kudos
CCN2216
1 Nickel

Still on the screen of "Completing Installation" , can't believe Dell listed a "Urgent" update and so i download it and it breaks my computer.

This is a monumental inconvenience to me .

You have no idea how outraged i am over this .

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Might take longer if you're doing a clean install.  Is BIOS still set to AHCI, Secure Boot off, etc?

Let me see if I can get some help from some of the serious Win install experts...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
CCN2216
1 Nickel

Bios is set to ACHI and secure boot is off , it's still on completing installation phase , this is obviously frozen , no way it's this slow.

Thanks for your help my friend

0 Kudos
CCN2216
1 Nickel

Any luck finding your Windows installation experts ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RoHe
6 Indium

Patience, my friend. It's a holiday week and people may be away and busy with other things. I told them to post directly in this thread so just keep watching here...

Did you disconnect all devices, except mouse, monitor and keyboard? Are you installing the same version (Home or Pro) of Win 7 that you had?  Your system is tied to the version you had...

You might try creating a bootable USB with the Win 7 file directly from Microsoft and try that version, which is probably more up-to-date than the one you got from Dell's site. But you need your Microsoft Product key from the sticker on the tower to start the download from Microsoft.

www.microsoft.com/.../windows7

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

You might try creating a bootable USB with the Win 7 file directly from Microsoft and try that version, which is probably more up-to-date than the one you got from Dell's site. But you need your Microsoft Product key from the sticker on the tower to start the download from Microsoft.

www.microsoft.com/.../windows7

Dell's Windows 7 Reinstallation .isos are updated to January 2016 and include addition driver support such as USB 3.0 and storage controllers for up to Skylake systems. They also apply Dell OEM SLP.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/ 

Microsoft's on the other hand are seriously outdated December 2010 moreover require a Windows 7 key which one may not have if they are invoking downgrade rights and in any case it rejects Dell OEM keys.

Stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen. This usually occurs when hardware is faulty... Since you tried a Reinstallation. Are you currently stuck on the first Starting Windows Screen (when you boot from the installation media and then select your language options etc) or the one after it restarts?

This can be a memory module but Dell F12 preboot diagnostics should pick this up.

Sometimes it occurs if there are USB storage devices such as external hard drives plugged in or a card in the card reader so as Ron mentioned remove anything apart from the keyboard, mouse and bootable installation media.

Since this occured after a UEFI BIOS update also have a look at your UEFI BIOS settings. Its most likely that the UEFI BIOS update has changed a setting and this is preventing the start up.

UEFI BIOS settings:

• The Boot Mode should be set to UEFI.
  • Secure Boot should be Off.
  • Legacy ROMs settings (not shown on the Boot Manager Screen) should be Enabled.

The installation media should be set to the GPT partition screen.

Check that your SATA Operation is AHCI. If you have a small 32 GB M.2 SSD cache drive then it may also be useful to remove this to check if this influences the Boot.

Check also what the settings are particularly for your Ethernet controller, Wireless Card and other hardware. It may also be worthwhile going through and disabling hardware in the UEFI BIOS setup one by one and seeing if you can pass the boot screen. I can't give you the screenshots of this as I don't have an XPS 8900.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
CCN2216
1 Nickel

Stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen. This usually occurs when hardware is faulty... Since you tried a Reinstallation. Are you currently stuck on the first Starting Windows Screen (when you boot from the installation media and then select your language options etc) or the one after it restarts?

NOT stuck on the first starting windows screen , i get through the "choose your language screen" and get to the "Upgrade or Custom" screen and it goes on to the next with the "Checkmarks" and then restarts itself .

It restarts itself (After the prompt to hit a key to boot from the USB drive" again which i leave alone of course since it's in the process of installing .

It very quickly moves past the "Updating Registry Settings" and when the screen pop's up again showing more "Checkmarks" it freezes at the point it says "Completing Installation" and won't budge any further than that .

0 Kudos