RoHe
6 Indium

RE: New Dell Bios rendered XPS desktop unusable

(Thanks, Natakuc4 for joining the discussion! I knew you'd have some ideas and suggestions...)

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
CCN2216
1 Nickel

Booting with BIOS setting on UEFI says "No boot device found" .

This machine runs Win 7 pro and i believe was always set on Legacy not UEFI , AHCI is enabled as is support for Legacy rom.

0 Kudos
CCN2216
1 Nickel

Yes, thank you very very much for sharing your expertise.

0 Kudos
CCN2216
1 Nickel

I was able to download Win 10 from a Dell disk that came with the computer since i forgot i had one . While i can install 10 i still can't get past the " Thats all the information we need right now , your computer will restart several times during installation" screen while installing Win 7 .

It stays on that screen for hours and hours and nothing happens.

0 Kudos
Rudolfo45
1 Copper

Hello All,

I have the same problem with the strongly recommended Bios Update and tried several thinks for a fix without success. My observation so far was:

- with the new BIOS (2.2.1) there was the Intel-Management-Engine-Components-Installer_4J8MX_WIN_11.7.0.1035_A00_06.exe download. That showed a download error. Thus I started only the BIOS-Update.

- During BIOS Update I got the impression that Intel drivers have also been updated!

- On start-up Windows shows a Memory Management problem and the DELL diagnostic can't find a hardware problem.

- I can load a RAM based OS but the hard disc with the Windows 10 installation can’t be accessed.

- I tried also to install new Windows 10 from USB, but this stopped also with the memory management message from Windows.

To me it looks like with the BIOS update there was also a chip-set driver update with cause the memory management problem and makes the hard disc not accessible (even if the DELL hardware diagnostic is reporting no problem with the HD-drive).

Thus my questions is how can a restore the old drivers around the HD-drive access and does the DELL-Software team knows this dangerous problem they created here?

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

I pinged my Dell tech contact...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

RE: New Dell Bios rendered XPS 8900 desktop unusable

L3 engineering has been notified and will investigate the problem.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

FWIW, this new version of BIOS also flash updates the ME firmware (It's not a chipset software update) to fix a security hole created by Intel.

So it's probably too risky to force revert to a previous version of BIOS because the ME update may not be compatible with prior versions of BIOS, and that could brick the motherboard completely, unless L3 says it's ok to force revert...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Rudolfo45
1 Copper

I tried to restore the old Bios but nothing changed. Will send the PC back to Dell today and see how they can fix it and how long it will take to get my computer back again. I have to stop working and take vacation during this time. The software support here said I will have to pay them to go through the steps of reconnecting the SSD+HD with them! So Dell software support ask me to pay for a problem which was generated by Dell. This is an interesting service philosophy. I am afraid nobody will believe me this horrible story from an owner of a Dell computer. If they believe, they will stop trusting Dell SW-quality advice to Update driver and Bios. Hopefully other Dell PC owner are getting aware of the problem before they start an Bios update. In the car industry they would give out a warning and stop distribution of updates..

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

So looking here...

Fixes:
- Update to the latest CPU Microcode.
- Updated Intel ME Firmware to address security advisories INTEL-SA-00086 (CVE-2017-5705, CVE-2017-5708, CVE-2017-5711 & CVE-2017-5712) & INTEL-SA-00101(CVE-2017-13077, CVE-2017-13078 & CVE-2017-13080).
- Updated the handling of pre-boot authentication information by firmware.
- Updated UEFI variable input validation.
- Updated the handling of 3rd party Option ROM loading.
- Updated SPI flash command configuration settings.

I was able to download Win 10 from a Dell disk that came with the computer since i forgot i had one . While i can install 10 i still can't get past the " Thats all the information we need right now , your computer will restart several times during installation" screen while installing Win 7 .

It stays on that screen for hours and hours and nothing happens.

Did you install Windows 10 with Secure Boot Enabled and Legacy ROMs disabled? Also was in Version 1709? I suspect the UEFI BIOS update may have fixed something with the UEFI Boot and simultaneously broke the Legacy Boot options...

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos