Tromboneist22
1 Nickel

Re: New Dell Studio 540 running Vista x64 bit issues

well it still crashes, but the driver 'recovers', so it wont work for about 5 seconds then start again. i dont know if a game will crash if it happens when a game is running. an improvement, but highly annoying.

tdesper
1 Nickel

I read that other thread. At least we're not the only ones with this problem. I read on ATI's site something about Vista 64bit, the 8.12 drivers and 8 gigs of ram in conjunction with some ATI cards having trouble?? I haven't tried this particular fix yet, maybe tomorrow as I'm off work. This evening I tried completely uninstalling and removing ALL ATI software and drivers, since I'm currently using the on-board video, reinstalling the ATI card, then re-trying the new ATI software (the 8.12 ATI drivers and CCC from ATI's website). Long story short, it didn't help me. I even tried installing and removing all the ATI stuff again, rebooting and letting windows find it's own driver which it did. Even using window's driver, sans the CCC, it still crashed coming out of sleep mode.

The on-board video is fine for me at the desktop but I noticed a significant decrease in performance playing my favorite game, Supreme Commander, over the ATI card which did a decent job at it. I'm half tempted to just buy another video card and see how it works. I found a mid-to-lower range nVidia card for $50 shipped. It's a 9500GT, and from what I read that's about as heavy duty as we can go because the  power supply in our systems are only 350 watts/18 amps. I find it amusing that you can order this system, Studio 540,  with an nVidia 9800GT, which according to nVidia requires a power supply of like 400-450 watts and 26 amps, but Dell will put one in a system with a much smaller power supply. Wonder if that causes anyone any problems? Seems like configurations are getting thought-up without a lot of consideration as to IF certain components should go together??

I got a real good deal on my system and I'd still be way ahead to get that new card. It would probably play my game much better than the HD3450 even if was working right. Just erks me I guess that you'd have to buy a new video card for a new computer to make it work right (if the nVidia works any better that is). I tried again to contact tech support by phone but couldn't get through so I emailed them. I'll see if I can get them tomorrow but they'll probably be backed up from Christmas. I'll try the above solution tomorrow and report back if it helps. Merry Christmas to all BTW! :-)

Tromboneist22
1 Nickel

well what happens to me is the driver crashes, but recovers. so the screen goes funky for about 5-10 seconds then fixes itself. Funny that you mention supcom, since thats the main reason why i bought this desktop. but i was gonna go ahead and get one of my friends who builds computers to help me find something good, a video card rather.  Dell kind of stinks, which ive recently realized, so probably not going to buy another one again, especially since samsung released notebooks recently o.0

tdesper
1 Nickel

Dell found something it didn't like with my last post, which was very civil btw. I reworded part of it and took out the link to the deal I found for a video card in hopes they'll let this one stay???

I too am disappointed with Dell because of this experience. I've bought 2 or 3 computers from them over the last 10 years and it's always been pain-free. I received an email survey about my tech support experience, which honestly wasn't bad - it's what happened after that that has me upset (the phone maze thing and no customer service help). I doubt I'll buy another Dell soon. During these difficult economic times you'd think they'd try a bit harder.

Anyway, I ordered that new video card this morning. I'm just tired of fooling with it now. I could probably return the system if I pushed, but like I said before, I got a good price and do really like the PC. Man it rips a CD at like 30x at 256k w/error correction on and supcom now has sound!

You may want to check around if there is a better card or price if you decide to go that route. After a little research I've settled on the EVGA (nVidia based) 9500GT w/512megs DDR3 memory. It's not bleeding edge but probably MUCH faster in games than the ATI HD3450 and it's is rated to run on a 350 watt power supply. Under the vendors customer reviews for the card there are a lot of happy Dell owners who upgraded to it. One guy even put it in an older Dell with a 309 watt psu and said he didn't have any problems so it should work in my system. The best deal I've found was 49.99 after a $30 rebate and free 3-day shipping. May not be what you want to do or the card you may prefer, but it's worth a look at that price. ymmv. I'm just hoping I can plug it in, install the drivers and forget about it. I used to like working on computers, but I don't anymore. I should have the card Monday or Tuesday and will let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Tromboneist22
1 Nickel

I am in love with this computer now. Mine glitches rarely and when it does it recovers in 5 seconds, doesnt crash anything. Ive been playing SupCom on FULL settings and even with really high unit counts it barely even shudders, it only uses like 45% of the processing power and only 1 gig of my ram! i wish it didnt glitch at all but its all working now. eventually ill upgrade the card but right now im fine without it.

tdesper
1 Nickel

That's great, I'm glad you're all set! I haven't seen a PC yet that didn't glitch once in while. I'm really hopeful the new card fixes me up. I'm really lovin' mine too without the crashes. Just can't really enoy supcom full blast right now. On any map 10k or bigger things get hard to deal with once you get a bunch of units going. Got tracking on the card today and should have it by Tuesday. I'll still post back so anyone who's interested will know of if that's a good upgrqade choice. Still haven't heard back from tech support...

Highlighted
Rarb
1 Nickel

I had exactly the same "sleep / display corruption" problem with the following system, that I just received earlier this week: Dell Studio 540, Q8200 quad-core processor, 8GB RAM, 2 * 640GB disks in RAID 0 (striping - not my choice of disk configuration but it was a good deal pre-configured in the refurb section of Dell Outlet), 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

I was already reasonably sure this was a video card problem (the driver version that was already installed was 8.493) After reading the advice on this thread and this thread, I downloaded the 8.513 driver update, and installed that. I ran into the same problem that others have had: the installation didn't complete, the driver itself installed but the Catalyst Control Center install failed. All subsequent logins and any attempts to start CCC led to this dialogue:

I tried uninstalling CCC with an administrator account but that failed so I used the technique described here to reveal the primary administrator account in Vista and then used that to successfully uninstall CCC. After that, sleep mode worked just fine, but I had no CCC to configure the Radeon card (not that I particularly need it right now). So I've got sleep working correctly but no CCC. I might try the newer drivers that are available from AMD/ATI's site (currently 8.12 / 8.561) later to see if I can resolve the CCC issue too.

tdesper
1 Nickel

I had exactly the same "sleep / display corruption" problem with the following system, that I just received earlier this week: Dell Studio 540, Q8200 quad-core processor, 8GB RAM, 2 * 640GB disks in RAID 0 (striping - not my choice of disk configuration but it was a good deal pre-configured in the refurb section of Dell Outlet), 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

I was already reasonably sure this was a video card problem (the driver version that was already installed was 8.493) After reading the advice on this thread and this thread, I downloaded the 8.513 driver update, and installed that. I ran into the same problem that others have had: the installation didn't complete, the driver itself installed but the Catalyst Control Center install failed. All subsequent logins and any attempts to start CCC led to this dialogue:

I tried uninstalling CCC with an administrator account but that failed so I used the technique described here to reveal the primary administrator account in Vista and then used that to successfully uninstall CCC. After that, sleep mode worked just fine, but I had no CCC to configure the Radeon card (not that I particularly need it right now). So I've got sleep working correctly but no CCC. I might try the newer drivers that are available from AMD/ATI's site (currently 8.12 / 8.561) later to see if I can resolve the CCC issue too.

The problem certainly has something to do with the ATI HD3450 in my case. My guess is the drivers. I've been using the on-board Intel video for about a week without a hitch. My EVGA 9500GT video card came Friday after a short shipping delay. I was able to install it and load up the supplied drivers and all is very well so far. I put the system to sleep last night and it woke up without problem this morning. I updated the drivers this morning as a matter of course. It's also slept for 3 or 4 hours at a time with the latest (non-beta) drivers and came right back. So far I haven't noticed any visual video problems and DVD movies play fine. Hopefully its all fixed now. I used to enjoy troubleshooting things like this, but not anymore - I just like them to work. Although the 9500GT isn't a hardcore game card, it's really improved the one game I do enjoy playing, Supreme Commander, as well as handling everyday stuff just fine so far - time will tell. At least this seems to eliminate a motherboard problem or incompatibility as the 9500GT and the on-board Intel video works just fine.

I have had several PCs over the last 10 years or so with ATI video cards. They have all had excellent video and features but come to think of it, I don't think any of them did the sleep-mode/power-down things well? Might be my faulty memory? Back then I just blamed whichever version of Windows I was running.  My wife's PC has an older ATI card, forget which one, but probably 2 or 3 years old now and it crashes as soon as it tries to sleep (XP Pro). We have it set to never sleep on hers. If I run into any troubles, I'll be sure to post in case anyone else decides to go a similar route. Never did hear back from Dell tech support...

Emman_32
1 Copper

Hi guys,

I had the same problem as everyone here.  I got the mosaic screen when waking up, I got the strange message about some file not found when I tried to update the driver from ATI website.  My first Dell call only updated my driver to Dell's website's latest driver which did nothing.   I think my problem was solved with my 2nd Dell call and I want to share it with you.  The problem Dell tells me is that the updated ATI driver 8.12 is not compatible with the intel G45 chipset motherboard we have.  The new display driver version 8.12 is so new that of course there would be a chance it would have a bug and it does.  The Dell tech spent 1.5hrs with me trying to figure this out.   What worked in the end was, she deleted my 8.12 driver and installed the older 8.11 version driver from the ATI website.  She only installed the driver and not the Catalyst conrol center.  Go to http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista64/common-vista64.html.  Under OPTION 2, download ONLY the Display Driver 8.11.  She did not download the Catalyst control center or the option 1 suite.   She left the Catalyst Control Center as the current version 8.12.  If for some reason you guys can't get the 8.11 driver to work with the 8.12 Catalyst control center, I guess you can try just downloading everything 8.11 but I didn't have to.

After installing the driver and rebooting, my computer hasn't crashed nor my monitor freezing/mosaic pattern for the last 3 days with repeated sleep/bootup/hibernation.  I'm loving this Dell Studio now that it's working properly.  I hope this helps you guys since I've gotten so much good help from forums about a bunch of things and want to return the favor.

0 Kudos
Emman_32
1 Copper

Never mind.  The above solution didnt' work today, the display driver messed up again after 3 uneventful day. Mosaic all over the screen when I was scrolling down by pressing the roll wheel and sliding down the mouse.  It recovered after 1 minute.  I had it hibernate all night and it restarted fine until I was scrolling down a webpage already opened from the night before.   It's another call to Dell to see if another tech has any idea what to do.