Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 13th, 2011 14:00

New Dell XPS 8300 constantly Locking up.. help

Hi, I bought and received a new XPS 8300 last week... Intel Core i5-2300, 8 GB RAM... having big problems right off the bat.

The computer will periodically completely freeze, rendering the mouse + keyboard useless, and the only way to get out of it is to do a hard reboot (hold power button for 5 seconds to turn off, then turn on again). There's no blue screen of death, rather the image on the monitor just freezes. This is happening upwards of once every hour, which is completely unacceptable. There's no apparent trigger, it occurs while I'm on the Internet, while I'm in MS office, while the screen saver is on, etc.

At first I thought it could be a driver problem with the monitor (my own Samsung, not from Dell), but I installed the correct drivers and it still occurs. Then I figured it could be malware (even on a new computer), but a thorough scan revealed nothing. I'm now concerned that this is a CPU heat issue, and have taken to temporarily putting a full-size fan in front of the tower case, which is already well-ventilated. This has apparently slowed down the frequently of the hangs, but they still arise. I have already installed a few programs and transferred a few files, and really don't want to go through the hassle of returning the case to Dell for weeks on end.

Any thoughts? Anyone having similar problems? This is maddening.

32 Posts

July 21st, 2011 13:00

Good news: The new video card works wonderfully.

Problem: Hard freeze of system. To see if you are hard frozen, press [CAPSLOCK] -- if your keyboard led doesn't change, then you are hard frozen.

Overview of steps taken:

* Full system reinstall twice

* All drivers reinstalled twice (from DELL and from Manufacturer)

* Complete change of memory (and back)

* Testing of Power Supply voltage

* Full memory test w/ diagnostic using: Dell Diagnostic, Windows Diagnostic, Linux Memory Tester (HIREN)

* Thorough system check with Dell Diagnostics.

* CPU-Z checking to ensure that chipset was not in recall list.

After all of those freezing was still occuring. So with the system back in the original state (via Dell Restore) I installed a 9800GT video card and the freezing ceased. I checked the ATI again, freezing, older drivers still froze. Dell shipped out a GTX560ti and the system is working flawlessly.

There isn't a widespread report of all ATI cards in i7 systems not functioning so I don't think it's just a driver issue, I believe the issue is related to this chipset not supporting the communications with the GPU through the ATI drivers.

Solution: Replaced video card with Dell supplied GTX560 ti

----

Note: To the few NVIDIA users with freezing, please follow all troubleshooting procedures in hand with Dell Support. Likely places to start: Drivers, Ram, Video Card, Storage.

Hope everyone else has good luck with theirs!

32 Posts

July 5th, 2016 09:00

On page 19 of this forum, and some previous and post pages, there was a large discussion about this. At some point it is better to give up on waiting for an exact answer.

I have owned 2 Dell XPS 8300 systems; at the time I purchased my first one there were many of them that were turned back into Dell and they were selling them as refurbs. Initially I did not even plan to purchase the 8300, but I got it as a replacement for an AMD system I purchased that failed to POST.

At the end of the day with both systems it was resolved. One by constantly hammering Dell for replacement parts, the other by using what I learned.

Issues: Hard freeze and random reboot of system. BSOD occassionally. To see if you are hard frozen, press [CAPSLOCK] -- if your keyboard led doesn't change, then you are hard frozen.

Resolution:

1. All firmware was updated.

2. All drivers reinstalled.

3. Hard drive checked for failures (long test)

4. Ram checked for failures (long test)

5. Checked chipset against recall list.

6. Checked power supply voltage.

7. Replaced Power Supply with 600w power supply (the video card is thirsty, the one that came with the board did not supply enough energy.

After all of the above I was still having failures and freezes. This was with an ATI card in the system, so I did the following after randomly testing an Nvidia 9800gt and finding no lock-ups:

1. Replaced video card, in my case with a GTX 560 ti in both systems.

2. Replaced memory with Corsair.

Solution: Replaced video card with Dell supplied GTX560.

The i7-2600 had a lot of issues with ATI card. Just last year I tried to put a newer ATI card in the XPS 8300 and it started to hard lock again! I went back to the 560 and shrugged it off.

Both systems are still running to this day, and just recently I have created a "Hackintosh" / "CustoMac" out of one of them and it performs flawlessly (minus the wireless mini half-card which I would suggest replacing with a TP-Link pci-e)

Side note: I work with a lot of systems, and worked with the Dell contracts for years. I have noticed in many cases where we see a larger percentage of failure in the systems that are not desktop (i.e. not onboard video) and the best places to start replacing are this order:

1. Firmware and Drivers

2. Memory

3. Power Supply

4. Video card (change brand)

Do this as soon as you notice the issues.Call Dell support and work through the steps patiently on the phone. Allow them to replace each component, and be forceful but polite, and eventually they will replace the system. For many of the Dell techs they are utilizing a scripted approach and most of the "on-site" techs are subcontractors. I actually had a Unisys dude visit my shop in Tallahassee and try to replace the Mobo for a video card failure.

Be understanding that these things are hard to diagnose and troubleshoot. Sometimes you get a dud, but for most people the solution is above.

If you are out of warranty, and the above does not work, then at this point start replacing items least cost to most cost.

----

Note: To the few NVIDIA users with freezing, please follow all troubleshooting procedures in hand with Dell Support. Likely places to start: Drivers, Ram, Video Card, Storage.

Hope everyone else has good luck with theirs!

1.3K Posts

The re-call was only on the early versions of the 8300.   Dell stoped sale, so the one you received should be OK.    Maybe you should run the Diag forget what Function key on boot up.   If you continue to have problems you might want to take advantage of the 10 day policy that dell has on returning the PC and then re-order.   I bought  a Studio XPS 9100 in December and have been very happy wiith it.   

You might want to look at your power management to make sure it is disabled.   

Thanks

Tom

4 Posts

P.S. just wanted to add that this tower case has a manufacturing date of 3/30/2011... I'm aware of the Intel Sandy Bridge recall, but I doubt this problem has anything to do with that.

3 Posts

April 17th, 2011 01:00

Unfortunately no answers but almost exactly the same problem.  Started freezing 20  minutes out of the box.  Did your problem get resolved?  How?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 17th, 2011 05:00

Hi Db88,

You should run the Dell diagnostics as suggested above (link to instructions below).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 17th, 2011 20:00

a49erfan,

How comfortable are you about opening the case?
* Power the PC off
* Disconnect the power cord from the PC
* Open the side cover and disconnect/reconnect all cables, cords, cards, memory, <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> just to make sure nothing came loose during shipping
* Replace the side cover
* Connect only the mouse, keyboard, speakers, and monitor to the PC
* Those USB devices should be plugged into the PC rear USB ports
* The PC power cord should be plugged directly into the wall socket (for now) and connect the other end into the PC
* Power the monitor on
* Power the PC on
* Test the PC

3 Posts

April 18th, 2011 02:00

Do not feel comfortable opening up computer quite yet but I did the rest of what you suggested.  Only mouse and keyboard and monitor connected---system froze up.  Only keyboard and monitor--system froze up.  Only monitor and mouse--still running -no freeze up.   Got answers????  Do i just replace keyboard or is there a deeper explanation, drivers, etc.  Remember this is brand new computer that Dell has already checked out on line and found no problems and then did a factory reset.  It has now been running for three hours, the longest without freezing since it came out of the box on Saturday.

db88

1 Message

April 26th, 2011 18:00

I have a dell xps 8300 with intel core i7 2600, and 12 gb ram and having the same issue, it radomly locks up. dell techs keeps saying it a software problem. I have been working on computer for 18 years now and i still do not know every thing but i has to be a hardware problem. Dell techs have ran every test that they can run and says everything is fine with hardware. The last techs that remoted in to our system cleared the temp files and petch file on the system and unchecked the thrid party exetension in explorer said that would fix it. LOCK UP hour later and then again hour after that. I call to return this system atfer 45 min on phone, found out that if i returned this system i would have the 190.00 dollars because the techs said it was a software problem not hardware. So, I am exchanging it for another one I hope to have better luck with it. THIS IS MY LAST DELL COMPUTER I WILL EVER BUY. I will build my own for now on.

97 Posts

April 27th, 2011 22:00

I am having the exact same problem with the same machine XPS 8300 with core i7. Just received the pc on Tuesday this week direct from Dell and have been having freeze up problems from the first couple of hours it came out of the box.

3 Posts

April 28th, 2011 00:00

We worked with every possibility that we could think of to stop the random freezing up issue with our brand new computer.  Spent easily 8 hours on the phone with DELL tech support in India.  Had moments where we thought we had found the problem then the thing would freeze up again.  Finally we gave up, totally exasperated and disgusted and they sent us another (#3) XPS 8300.  This is our last try.  If this does not work properly it is goodbye DELL, goodbye PC and hello MAC.

2 Posts

April 28th, 2011 05:00

Me too! I have the same problem and it stinks because it's newly bought! Only mine doesn't happen as often as yours but it does freeze at least once EVERYDAY! Sometimes it says my graphic card (which I bought along with my XPS 8300 from Dell) crashed. THAT is also supposed to be new.

Isn't there a solution?

97 Posts

April 28th, 2011 19:00

Anyone else having this issue?

265 Posts

April 29th, 2011 10:00

What vdeo card are you currently running in the XPS 8300? I think I have possibly found the issue, because some Aurora R3 systems are exeriencing the same thing.

Is your video card an AMD card, like a 6xxx series?

97 Posts

April 29th, 2011 12:00

I just glanced at the Aurora R3 freezing posts and the problem looks very similar to our XPS 8300 freezing issues. Over at the other posting they are suggesting removing the Dell version of the Catalyst driver software and installing the drivers available directly from the AMD website.

No Events found!