Highlighted
aras1
2 Iron

Re: New Dell XPS 8300 constantly Locking up.. help

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I am able to run PowerCfg but for whatever reason the file will not open for me once generated. I can see the energy-report.html file in my C:\\ Windows\System32\ folder but none of my browsers will open it (ie, firefox, chrome).

Sad news today is that I left the computer running this afternoon using Windows Easy Transfer to move my files over from my old win xp machine but when I returned tonight after supper the XPS 8300 had once again frozen. It was a blank screen as if it was asleep but I could not awaken it by moving the mouse or using the keyboard. I was able to awaken it using the power button on the tower but then of course I could not type in my password as the keyboard was non-responsive.

Good news is that it appears it did not freeze before all of the files transferred (Windows Easy Transfer is an amazing thing BTW).

So it would appear that when the machine sleeps the power to the mouse and keyboard are shut off.

I am now going to try plugging them into different USB ports to see if that makes a difference.

Fingers crossed.

XPS 8300, SNB, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) | SDRAM - 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Optical drive - 16x DVD-RW | Video - ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 | Monitor - Dell U2311H 23IN FP | HDD - 1TB SATA 2, 7200 RPM |  OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | Audio - Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Latitude E5420, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70 GHz | 8 GB RAM OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | 

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Ok. so this is becoming increasingly annoying. That is now the 3rd time this new system has locked up on me, this time right in the middle of doing a software update of my iPod Touch.

So switching where I plug in my USB keyboard and mouse does not make a difference.

Any other suggestions out there or is it time to phone support and ask for a refund?

XPS 8300, SNB, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) | SDRAM - 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Optical drive - 16x DVD-RW | Video - ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 | Monitor - Dell U2311H 23IN FP | HDD - 1TB SATA 2, 7200 RPM |  OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | Audio - Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Latitude E5420, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70 GHz | 8 GB RAM OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | 

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I should add 3rd time today. I have lost count the number of times it has locked up since I opened the box last week.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Send me a Private Message (click my username, click Send Message) with the Service Tag number so I can send them to engineering. Also include -
video card
video card driver version (Dell or Retail)
If applicable, any overclocking (CPU/GPU) should be disabled

0 Kudos
mantzios
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have recently bought a new XPS 8300 with roughly the same specs aside from the RAM and Graphics Card. It is due to arrive next week.

I guess my question is, has Dell, or anyone for that matter, come up with a solution?

If I am to go through the same problems, which seem common among users, it would be reassuring to know there is a less frustrating process to solve the problem.

Thank you aras1 for crawling through the mud on this issue.

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

My issue still has not been resolved. I am waiting to hear back from a Dell technician.

I have noticed other odd things however and just don't know what to make of them as I am new to Windows 7.

1. this morning my iTunes locked up after I had minimized it using cntrl+m

2. ctrl+alt+del didn't seem to be working so I assumed that it was not a feature of win7. Lo and behold yesterday I was able to invoke Windows Task Manager using ctrl+al+del. Not sure why it wasn't working before.

I thought there were other anomalies but that is what come to mind at the moment. The initial lack of ctrl+alt+del was very strange.

Just so you know, what I have done as of last night after the latest lock up was to go into device manager and ensure that the USB mouse and keyboard were not able to be powered down (they were already disabled from doing that) and then to go into the USB list and ensure that every possible USB entry there was disabled from being powered down by Win7. I am at work for the rest of the day so won't be able to see if that makes a difference until later tonight when I reboot the machine.

Two things that I have not yet tried: 1. opening up the box and ensure that everything is properly seated 2. uninstall the Dell graphics driver for the ATI Radeon HD 5670 video card that Dell sent with the machine and replace it with a fresh graphic driver install from the most recent version available on the ATI website.

Unfortunately, I work and have a family and so it is difficult to find the time to fit these things in.

0 Kudos
mantzios
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I can understand where you are coming from, it's not as if you have time or should be responsible to break down the unit circuit board by circuit board to debug this issue.

I'm just surprised that a problem as serious as this has occurred straight out of the box. I can assure you that I will give Dell some heat over it if it happens to mine as well.

On a side note, more directly at a Dell technician, what if it was a power supply issue and not a power management issue? An XPS 8300 system has many power consuming modules (1GB DDR3/5 Graphic Card, 1+TB HDD, 3.4GBHz Processor etc.) and thus requires a higher wattage power supply. Since no option was given with regards to a power supply, I would assume Dell would take this into consideration and provide a minimum 600 Watt Power supply.  Just a thought.

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

a49erfan,

How comfortable are you about opening the case?
* Power the PC off
* Disconnect the power cord from the PC
* Open the side cover and disconnect/reconnect all cables, cords, cards, memory, just to make sure nothing came loose during shipping
* Replace the side cover
* Connect only the mouse, keyboard, speakers, and monitor to the PC
* Those USB devices should be plugged into the PC rear USB ports
* The PC power cord should be plugged directly into the wall socket (for now) and connect the other end into the PC
* Power the monitor on
* Power the PC on
* Test the PC

Hi Chris,

Ok, today after returning from work I unplugged the desktop, opened the side case, and poked around ensuring that all the connections I could see were well seated. I didn't feel comfortable actually unplugging anything but did apply pressure to each plug that I could see. Some seemed to seat a little bit more snug. Some memory modules did make a slight click. So we will see if that does the trick.

What a kick if this works and that is all that it takes....

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

So let's see... I sent that last post at 7:16 pm and it is now 8:40 pm so that is approximately now long it took for my PC to lock up again. This time it froze on the bubbling screen saver.

Time to phone tech support tomorrow morning.

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I couldn't wait...

I phoned Dell tech support last night and spent a couple of hours on the phone while one of them went through my computer remotely using GoToAssist. They noted the system crashes in Event Viewer and a couple of failed Windows Updates and expressed concern that my HP LaserJet 1020 driver was a PnP driver. However, I pointed out that the lock ups started right out of the box before I installed the printer.

Long story short.... They removed the graphics driver that shipped with my system and replaced it with the newest driver available from the ATI website, restarted and asked that I try that for the next day or so and that they will phone back on Saturday to see if that resolved the issue. Dell tech support was very good.

Twenty minutes later my system locked up again.

I am able to work from home today so I will just see how many times this happens in a typical work day and then see what can be done tomorrow when Dell phones back.

0 Kudos