Zee19
1 Copper

Re: New Dell XPS 8300 constantly Locking up.. help

Jump to solution

how were you able to remove the cmos battery as mine is behind the ati graphics card and i cant get my hand down there, how did you do it?

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi Zee,

My graphics card must be a little bit smaller than yours because although the graphics card is near the battery I was able to work around it. Is yours an ATI HD 5670?

BTW I just got off the phone with the Dell Tech who was helping me out on Thursday night and he said that he could believe that a hard reset of the bios might fix this as it completely refreshes the power distribution to all of the capacitors on the motherboard which might correct any imbalanced power distribution among the components.

He also said that they reset the bios not by removing the battery but by flashing the bios. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. Hopefully someone else following this issue can enlighten us.

Sorry I can't be more help.

XPS 8300, SNB, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) | SDRAM - 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Optical drive - 16x DVD-RW | Video - ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 | Monitor - Dell U2311H 23IN FP | HDD - 1TB SATA 2, 7200 RPM |  OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | Audio - Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Latitude E5420, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70 GHz | 8 GB RAM OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | 

0 Kudos
thorkl
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This is great news Aras ! 🙂

Zee,  there's a general way to hard reset the the bios without removing the battery : you have to connect a pair of pins with a jumper for a few seconds. For instance, on the XPS630i : <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Unfortunately i cannot locate these pins on the XPS 8300 motherboard. 

0 Kudos
Szczepanik
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Aras1

You probably owe thorkl a drink! For future reference there is a Dell XPS 8300 Service Manual at this page
<http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps8300/en/sm/index.htm>

The Technical Overview has an Inside View of Your Computer with the system board marked as item 5 (above the PCE Express Cards) and the diagram of System Board Components shows the round battery socket as 18.

Inside View of Your ComputerSystem Board Components

You can click on the above images to see larger versions. Those who do not think to turn off and unplug their computer beforehand should first read the section on Before You Begin 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

and how to remove the Computer Cover.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Glad this appears to have worked for you.

Cheers
Tom

Dell XPS 8300 | D02X8319 | XPS 8300 : Intel Core i7-2600 Processor(3.40GHz,8MB)
Memory : 8192MB (4x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel | Hard Drive : 2TB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 "Stripe" (2x1TB - 7200RPM)
Optical Drive : 6X Blu-Ray RW (Blu-ray, DVD, CD read & write) & DVD+/-RW (DVD, CD read/write) optical drives
Wireless : Europe Dell Bluetooth 365 Card | Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate (64 BIT)
Sound Card : Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music Card

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Indeed many of us may owe thorkl a drink. It seems this locking up issue has been plaguing other Dell systems and not only the XPS 8300.

Thorkl, out of curiosity what made you think of resetting the BIOS to try and resolve this issue? I would never have thought of that. I was already resigned to having to go through the pain of doing a factory reset of the OS before your posted your suggestion.

BTW, can you believe it!? 3.5 hrs now and not a single lock up. My system is powering down the monitor like it should after 10 minutes and a shake of the mouse reawakens it as it should... with no freezing!

XPS 8300, SNB, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) | SDRAM - 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Optical drive - 16x DVD-RW | Video - ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 | Monitor - Dell U2311H 23IN FP | HDD - 1TB SATA 2, 7200 RPM |  OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | Audio - Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Latitude E5420, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70 GHz | 8 GB RAM OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | 

0 Kudos
thorkl
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Well, the lockup issue occurred immediately right after my (2nd) fresh Win7 reinstall while it didn't after my very first install before the trouble began.

So i concluded that the problem might be on the hardware side. The BIOS being the last layer before plunging your hands into the guts of the beast, i thought i might take a look into it.

I confirm, now my system's working like a charm as well. Maybe we can uncross our fingers now !

0 Kudos
Zee19
1 Copper

Jump to solution

i managed to take out and put in the cmos battery, the screen came up about something being reset, it said press F1 to continue and F2 to enter setup, so i clicked F1 and for the last 5 minutes the screen is just black, is this normal, i tried restarting the system, but same black screen?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Szczepanik
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thorkl, Thank you for suggesting resetting the bios.  In the Dell XPS 8300 Service Manual there is a section on removing the Coin-Cell Battery which advises "Record all the screens in system setup" (see System Setup Utility) so that you can restore the correct settings afterwards. That also has a section on Clearing CMOS Passwords <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

that shows how to

1. Locate the 3-pin CMOS reset jumper (RTCRST) on the system board (see System Board Components).
  2. Remove the 2-pin jumper plug from pins 2 and 3 and fix it on pins 1 and 2.
  3. Wait for approximately five seconds to clear the CMOS setting.
  4. Remove the 2-pin jumper plug from pins 1 and 2 and replace it on pins 2 and 3.

Clearing CMOS

This may be the way to hard reset the bios without removing the battery in the Dell XPS 8300. Thanks again for this solution.
Cheers
Tom

Dell XPS 8300 | D02X8319 | XPS 8300 : Intel Core i7-2600 Processor(3.40GHz,8MB)
Memory : 8192MB (4x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel | Hard Drive : 2TB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 "Stripe" (2x1TB - 7200RPM)
Optical Drive : 6X Blu-Ray RW (Blu-ray, DVD, CD read & write) & DVD+/-RW (DVD, CD read/write) optical drives
Wireless : Europe Dell Bluetooth 365 Card | Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate (64 BIT)
Sound Card : Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music Card

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Zee,

Look at thorkl's post at the top of the 4th page of this thread. There he explains exactly what to do.

My XPS 8300 just locked up again emoticon.Sad.title

It lasted without incident from 10:30 am to 3:15 pm. It locked up as I was clicking the link to reply to Zee.

How are the rest of you faring?

0 Kudos
thorkl
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Everything's running ok as far as i'm concerned.

The computer's on for something like 8 hours now.

Reinstalling and backing up stuff.

I'll keep you guys tuned in case of incident.

0 Kudos