Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 13th, 2011 14:00

New Dell XPS 8300 constantly Locking up.. help

Hi, I bought and received a new XPS 8300 last week... Intel Core i5-2300, 8 GB RAM... having big problems right off the bat.

The computer will periodically completely freeze, rendering the mouse + keyboard useless, and the only way to get out of it is to do a hard reboot (hold power button for 5 seconds to turn off, then turn on again). There's no blue screen of death, rather the image on the monitor just freezes. This is happening upwards of once every hour, which is completely unacceptable. There's no apparent trigger, it occurs while I'm on the Internet, while I'm in MS office, while the screen saver is on, etc.

At first I thought it could be a driver problem with the monitor (my own Samsung, not from Dell), but I installed the correct drivers and it still occurs. Then I figured it could be malware (even on a new computer), but a thorough scan revealed nothing. I'm now concerned that this is a CPU heat issue, and have taken to temporarily putting a full-size fan in front of the tower case, which is already well-ventilated. This has apparently slowed down the frequently of the hangs, but they still arise. I have already installed a few programs and transferred a few files, and really don't want to go through the hassle of returning the case to Dell for weeks on end.

Any thoughts? Anyone having similar problems? This is maddening.

40 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 08:00

Hi Belboy3,

With regard to the search index, I did not do anything particularly special. I did however, remove from the list of monitored folders those pertaining to Outlook & Internet Explorer. I then rebuilt the index without those being tracked and found that my system a little more responsive. The indexer monitors and keeps track of files on your PC.

If one rarely does any searching (this is not related to internet searches B.T.W.), I would even go as far as saying, turn the service off completely.

Hope this helps. 

3 Posts

February 28th, 2012 13:00

Yikes!  After reading a portion of this thread, I definitely will reconsider a purchase of Dell XPS 8300. :(

31 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 13:00

I have a similar issue - this thing runs so slow - much slower than my last machine by another manufacturer that had a fourth of the memory. Called Dell support and the woman rebooted without saving work from the last four hours. Then when I asked to speak to someone who deals with memory issues (hardware diagnostics all check okay) she placed m e on hold then hung up after 20 minutes.

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 21:00

I decided to go with an HP Pavilion HPE Phoenix h9t. I hope I made the right choice. Good luck to all of you.

2 Posts

March 10th, 2012 09:00

same issue..i just bought in end of jan 2012. Dell keep working on issue no solution,.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i can't do anything is ti system freezes

12 Posts

March 10th, 2012 11:00

FBNYC73 - have you done some of the things that are in this rather lengthy thread - shut off C6 in BIOS (or something similar), updated graphics driver if you have ATI, checked what brand of memory you have etc and then this may get you closer to a solution?  Have you opened the box to ensure all cables tigthtly connected?

Yes, Dell support in India should know all about this by now but they don't and it's hit and miss dealing with them.  I worked most of the stuff myself with the help of the many on this forum that spent many hours, some darn near rebuilding their machines at their own expense.

One thing I also did early in the game was to give the machine lots of air as I found it running really warm - took the door off the CPU cupboard and totally opened the rear for air flow.

Good luck cause when it gets up and running, it's one mighty fine computer.

40 Posts

March 11th, 2012 18:00

FBNYC73 : Would you be able to expand a little on your issue and under what conditions?

2 Posts

March 12th, 2012 05:00

Dell representative tried uninstalling and installing new graphic card software from ATI, change the mouse setting, check the BIOS, only thing the dell representative said was we might have to format the HD and reinstall everything. I believe is the motherboard. I requesting a new XPS system but they are resisting. I should I bought Apple...

66 Posts

March 12th, 2012 13:00

Wow, I was just about to buy an XPS 8300 from Best Buy.  Now I'm confused.

3 Posts

March 14th, 2012 19:00

I suggest you stay away from the 8300

I have had this PC for about a year and Support is still giving me issues about fixing it

I still have my warranty, but my advice is to not get this model

It sucks when your mouse and keyboard lock up for no reason

If you put the machine to sleep and wake it up, they will respond, but who wants to do that all the time

They also cant fix my dell center application which is telling me I have no issues, but my warranty is expired, yet online, I have another two years to go.

I should have gotten a MAC or HP.  This is my fifth dell and they seem to be getting worse and worse.

5120P

Cord, Power, 125V, 6Feet, SJT..., Unshielded

28DFJ

ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., PWA INTEGRATED..., 460W, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM..., 8300

INFORMATION..., NO ITEM

RTHCT

KIT..., DOCUMENTATION..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM..., 8300, D/B

WXGXH

Processor, I7-2600, 3.4, 4C, SNB, D2, L

J8461

ASSEMBLY..., CABLE..., VIDEO..., LEAD FREE...

T8CG7

DISPLAY..., FLAT PANEL DISPLAY..., 24, ST2420L, MEXICO/MEXICAN...

F77Y5

Keyboard, 104, United States, Multi-Media, Black

DC094

Assembly, Cable, Serial Ata Optical, Matrix, smith, mini Tower

WDRTF

Assembly, Heatsink, Fan, 95W, Mini Tower

12M8C

Assembly, Dvd+/-Rw And Bd-Rom, 8X, BARE, Hitachi Lg Data Storage

WHDPC

Card, Wireless, Half Mini-Card, DW1501, 4313

P380K

Card, Multi-Media, Audio, SBX3 XP/VSTA

J661D

KIT..., Mouse, Universal Serial BusLaser, Consumer, Logitech

H652R

Hard Drive, 1TB, S2, 7.2K SGT-PHAR

69M9V

Dual In-Line Memory Module, 2G, 1333, 256X64, 8, 240, 2RX8

DW711

Kit, Speaker, 12V, AX510PA Type1

85KRY

Assembly, Dvd+/-Rw, 16X, Half Height, BARE, Plds

GCJ42

Card, Graphics, Advanced Micro Devices, Radeon, 5770, P120A

XG7W3

BRACKET..., PLASTIC..., GRAPHICS..., SUPPORT..., 7100

GHFR0

Kit, Software, W7P64, Multiple User Interface, Non European

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 29th, 2012 12:00

WOW, Starcraft, and several other games were fixed with ATI 12.1 drivers.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion121.aspx

RESOLVED ISSUES

Resolved Issues for the Windows® 7 Operating System 

This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 12.1 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

• Alient vs. Predator – randomly disappearing in-game mouse cursor.
  • Enemy Territory – Quake Ware - intermittent crashes when in a 3 monitor Eyefinity configuration.
  • Enemy Territory – Quake Wars - Water texture rendering
  • Dirt 2 - stuttering when run in DirectX® 9 mode.
  • Crysis 2 in Crossfire mode- random graphics corruption and game instability.
  • Dragon Age 2 with Tri-Crossfire enabled - random corruption and screen flicker.
  • Lost Planet 2 in Crossfire mode - crashes after game launch.
  • Lost Planet 2 and Tom Clancy HAWX2 - random game hangs/black screens when run at high in game settings.
  • World of Warcraft - water texture corruption when running in DirectX 9 mode.
  •  “Rage” in Crossfire mode - intermittent hangs. 

Resolved Issues for the Windows® Vista Operating System

This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst™ 12.1 software suite for Windows® Vista. These include:

• System crash when ejecting the disc during Blu-Ray/DVD playback using WinDVD.
  • Hardware acceleration during 3D content playback using PowerDVD .
  • World of Warcraft, Metro 2033 and Starcraft II performance at high in-game settings.
  • Game settings displayed in Medal of Honor.

KNOWN ISSUES

Known issues under the Windows® 7 operating system

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows 7 operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst™. These include: 

• Call of Duty 4 may experience corruption when run in DirectX 9 mode and the Edge Detect filter is enabled
  • Portal 2 may generate a black screen when launched in 3D stereo mode.
  • The Morphological filter settings may be missing in the Vision Control Center.
  • Civilization V may experience random game crashes.
  • Forced Anti-Aliasing may not be available when playing Enemy Territory – Quake Wars.
  • Call of Duty – Black Ops may experience a crash when run in Crossfire mode.
  • Battlefield 3 may crash when run at ultra settings.
  • Vsync may be disabled after task switching when playing Rage.
  • Launching Rage with Crossfire enabled may cause the application to hang.
  • Random flickering may be observed while playing Battlefield- Bad Company 2.
  • Saints Row III may hang randomly during gameplay.
  • Dragons Age 2 may experience random flickering when run in Tri Crossfire mode with Vsync enabled or when run in DirectX 9 mode.
  • Call of Duty – Modern Warfare 3 may experience flickering when run in Tri Crossfire mode.

Known Issues under the Windows® Vista Operating System

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows® Vista operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst™. These include:

• Windows Aero options may be missing after installing the latest driver.

Known Issues under the Windows® XP Operating System

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

• The mouse cursor may get corrupted if the “enable pointer shadow” option is unchecked.

Installing the AMD Catalyst™ Software Driver

For further information and general help on software driver installation, game issues, and more, visit AMD Customer Care.

Installation information can be found at: How to Install Your AMD Product.

AMD Catalyst™ Crew Driver Feedback

This driver release incorporates suggestions received through the AMD Catalyst™ Crew Driver Feedback program. To provide us with your feedback, visit Catalyst™ Crew Driver Feedback.

3 Posts

April 1st, 2012 12:00

Try updating your Bio,s............

3 Posts

April 1st, 2012 12:00

Try updating your Bio's.....

40 Posts

April 1st, 2012 15:00

Hi Joe Xps 8300 user,

If the problem seems to only occur when using the Office Suite, you could allows attempt a repair of the installation.

Go into control panel and click on programs and features, select your office version and click change. you should be presented with the option to repair. Follow-up by using Windows updates to ensure that you have the latest patches for this package.

You might also want to consider disabling windows search through the services applet found within administrative tools.

Hope this helps,

April 1st, 2012 15:00

Hello, i am using a dell xps 8300 model, and i am experiencing some "freeze ups" (I guess, proably,) with the microsoft word 2010 starter edition, that came with the computer. The computer worked fine for the first, maybe four five months. Now, for about a week, microsoft woord 2010 starter edition has been acting up and freezing on me i guess. I have my computer plugged into a power bar (that came with the computer) and whenever it freezes, i log off or shut down, and sometimes i have to do the unthinkable, and turn of the power bar completely.

PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT TO DO!

my specs are:

intel core i7 2600 (2nd gen)

ati (or AMD) 6450 graphics card (1 gigabyte memory for the graphics card

* gigs or RAM

1 terrabyte harddrive.

I'm not sure if this could have an impact on my desktop, but i am using my old monitor from 2006, and y old speakers. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with anything, but im just thinking about what i might be doing wrong.

No Events found!